William L Chameides, Dean and Nicholas Professor of the Environment
Dr. Bill Chameides has combined more than 30 years in academia as a professor, researcher, teacher and mentor with a 3-year stint in the NGO world as the chief scientist of the Environmental Defense Fund. He is a:
- member of the National Academy of Sciences,
- fellow of the American Geophysical Union,
- recipient of the American Geophysical Union’s MacElwane Award.
Bill has served on numerous national and international committees and task forces and in recognition was named a National Associate of the National Academies for "extraordinary service." In November, 2008, Bill was appointed the Vice Chair of the Committee on America’s Climate Choices http://americasclimatechoices.org/, commissioned by Congress to develop a multi-decadal roadmap for America’s response to climate change.
He joined Duke as the Dean of the Nicholas School in 2007.
Bill’s research focuses on the atmospheric sciences, elucidating the causes of and remedies for global, regional, and urban environmental change and identifying pathways towards a more sustainable future. Specifically his research helped lay the groundwork for our understanding of the photochemistry of the lower atmosphere, elucidated the importance of nitrogen oxides emission controls in the mitigation of urban and regional photochemical smog, and the impact of regional environmental change on global food production.
He has led two major, multi-institutional research projects:
- the Southern Oxidants Study, a research program focused on understanding the causes and remedies for air pollution in the Southern United States; and
- CHINA-MAP, an international research program studying the effects of environmental change on agriculture in China.
Bill blogs on The Green Grok and The Huffington Post, and is a guest blogger on the Popular Science Magazine’s website PopSci.Com.
- Contact Info:
|Office Location: ||A246, LSRC|
|Office Phone: ||(919) 613-8004 |
|Email Address: |
global climate change
- Research Interests: global, regional, and urban-scale environmental change; causes, impacts, and paths toward sustainable development.
- Curriculum Vitae
- Representative Publications
- WL Chameides, Environmental factors in cancer: focus on air pollution.,
Reviews on environmental health, vol. 25 no. 1
pp. 17-22, ISSN 0048-7554
- Searchinger, Timothy D. and Hamburg, Steven P. and Melillo, Jerry and Chameides, William and Havlik, Petr and Kammen, Daniel M. and Likens, Gene E. and Obersteiner, Michael and Oppenheimer, Michael and Robertson, G. Philip and Schlesinger, William H. and Lubowski, Ruben and Tilman, G. David, Bioenergy: Counting on Incentives Response,
SCIENCE, vol. 327 no. 5970
pp. 1200-1201, ISSN 0036-8075
- Searchinger, Timothy D. and Hamburg, Steven P. and Melillo, Jerry and Chameides, William and Havlik, Petr and Kammen, Daniel M. and Likens, Gene E. and Obersteiner, Michael and Oppenheimer, Michael and Robertson, G. Philip and Schlesinger, William H. and Tilman, G. David and Lubowski, Ruben, Carbon Calculations to Consider Response,
SCIENCE, vol. 327 no. 5967
pp. 781, ISSN 0036-8075
- Searchinger, Timothy D. and Hamburg, Steven P. and Melillo, Jerry and Chameides, William and Havlik, Petr and Kammen, Daniel M. and Likens, Gene E. and Lubowski, Ruben N. and Obersteiner, Michael and Oppenheimer, Michael and Robertson, G. Philip and Schlesinger, William H. and Tilman, G. David, Fixing a Critical Climate Accounting Error,
SCIENCE, vol. 326 no. 5952
pp. 527-528, ISSN 0036-8075 [doi]
- Huang, Yan and Chameides, William L. and Tan, Qian and Dickinson, Robert E., Characteristics of Anthropogenic Sulfate and Carbonaceous Aerosols over East Asia: Regional Modeling and Observation,
ADVANCES IN ATMOSPHERIC SCIENCES, vol. 25 no. 6
pp. 946-959, ISSN 0256-1530 [doi] [abs]
- MS Bergin, AG Russell, MT Odman, DS Cohan, WL Chameides, Single-source impact analysis using three-dimensional air quality models.,
Journal of the Air & Waste Management Association (1995), vol. 58 no. 10
pp. 1351-9, ISSN 1096-2247 [abs]
- Karabanov, Oleksandr and John, James C. St. and Chameides, William, Planets on the table: A laboratory experiment on radiation and planetary effective-temperature concepts,
AMERICAN JOURNAL OF PHYSICS, vol. 76 no. 7
pp. 692-695, ISSN 0002-9505 [doi] [abs]
- Wang, James S. and McElroy, Michael B. and Logan, Jennifer A. and Palmer, Paul I. and Chameides, William L. and Wang, Yuxuan and Megretskaia, Inna A., A quantitative assessment of uncertainties affecting estimates of global mean OH derived from methyl chloroform observations,
JOURNAL OF GEOPHYSICAL RESEARCH-ATMOSPHERES, vol. 113 no. D12
(June, 2008), ISSN 0148-0227 [doi] [abs]
- Zhang, J. and Wang, T. and Chameides, W. L. and Cardelino, C. and Blake, D. R. and Streets, D. G., Source characteristics of volatile organic compounds during high ozone episodes in Hong Kong, Southern China,
ATMOSPHERIC CHEMISTRY AND PHYSICS, vol. 8 no. 16
pp. 4983-4996, ISSN 1680-7316 [abs]