Kenneth A. Dodge
Director, Center for Child and Family Policy; William McDougall Professor of Public Policy; Professor of Psychology and Neuroscience
Kenneth A. Dodge is the founding director of the Duke Center for Child and Family Policy. In this role, he leads an effort to bridge basic scientific research in children's development with public policy affecting children and families. The Center provides an integrated system of research, public engagement, and teaching, addressing issues of child and family policy.
Dodge joined the faculty of the Sanford School in September 1998. He is trained as a clinical and developmental psychologist, having earned his B.A. in psychology at Northwestern University in 1975 and his Ph.D. in psychology at Duke University in 1978. Prior to joining the faculty at Duke, Dodge served on the faculty at Indiana University, the University of Colorado, and Vanderbilt University.
Dodge’s research is directed toward understanding how problem behaviors such as delinquency, substance use, school dropout, and child abuse develop across the lifespan, how programs can be developed to prevent these problems, and how public policy can be shaped to improve the public health of communities.
- child abuse
- violence prevention
- substance use
- Center for the Study of Adolescent Risk and Resilience
- Child Development Project - Developmental Pathways to Adjustment and Well-being in Early Adulthood
- Community Prevention of Child Maltreatment
- Development and Prevention of Substance Abuse Problems
- Durham Connects
- Prospective Study of Infant Development
- Strengthening Benefit-Cost Analyses of Substance Abuse Project
- Truancy Prevention Project
Youth Violence Prevention, Child Maltreatment, Public Policy, Adolescent Substance Abuse, Children's Mental Health, Education, Early Childhood
- Ph.D. Duke University - 1978
- B.A. Northwestern University - 1975
Teaching Fall 2015:
- PUBPOL 907.01, PHD STUDENT GRADUATE SEMINAR
Sanford 03, F 10:20 AM-12:00 PM
Representative Publications (More Publications)
- National Research Council, Dodge, K.A (2013). Reforming Juvenile Justice: A Developmental Approach.. The National Academies Press.
Kenneth A. Dodge
Office: 222 Rubenstein Hall
Phone: (919) 613-9303
Fax: (919) 684-3731
Duke Box 90545, Durham, NC 27708-0545