Philip R. Costanzo
Associate Director, Center for Child and Family Policy; Professor of Psychology and Neuroscience
Research Interests: Phil Costanzo's research interests include (1) The development of children's ideas and beliefs about the social environment. This includes an interest in the underlying cognitive processes that mediate social reasoning skills, the relationship between parental beliefs and values and children's social perceptions social competence and social rule acquisition and its relationship to social conformity. (2) The relationships between adult values and motivations and depressive states. Also, how social-cognitive biases pertinent to affective disorders develop and are socialized by parental norms and family systems properties. (3) Psychological and social concomitants of obesity, overeating, self-restrictive eating, anorexia and bulimia. Particularly concerned with the relationship between cultural and sex-role norms pertaining to women and the emergence of eating disorders.
Clinical Interests: Community-school consultation, group psychotherapy, psycho- and "socio"-therapy with troubled and troublesome children and their families, individual adult psychotherapy and therapeutic strategies for working with distressed eating-disordered clients.
Child Development, Children's Mental Health
- PhD University of Florida - 1967
Recent Publications (More Publications)
- Strauman T. ;Costanzo P. and Garber J. (2011). Depression in Adolescent Girls: Science and Prevention.. Guilford Press.
- Burk, Linnea R.; Armstrong, Jeffrey M.; Goldsmith, H. Hill; Klein, Marjorie H.; Strauman, Timothy J.; Costanzo, Phillip; Essex, Marilyn J. (2011). Sex, temperament, and family context: How the interaction of early factors differentially predict adolescent alcohol use and are mediated by proximal adolescent factors. Psychology of Addictive Behaviors, 25(1), 1-15.
- P.R. Costanzo (2011). [A View from the Bridge: Connecting Social and Clinical Psychology (A review of J. Maddux and J. Tangney (Eds): The Social Psychological Foundations of Clinical Psychology)]. PsycCritiques, 56(4).
- Costanzo, P.R. & Hoyle, R. "The role of research in personality and social psychology for illuminating psychopathology and its contexts." Oxford Handbook of Personality and Social Psychology. Ed. K. Deaux, and M. Snyder Oxford Press, 2010 in press
- Costanzo, P.R. "The nature and nurture of morality and goodness." In Search of Goodness. Ed. Ruth Grant University of Chicago Press, 2010 in press
Philip R. Costanzo
Phone: (919) 681-9280
Fax: (919) 681-4183
Duke Box 90085, Durham, NC 27708-0085