Frank A Sloan
J. Alex McMahon Professor of Health Policy; Professor of Economics
CCFP Faculty Fellow
Research: Health economics; economics of aging; determinants of and effects of hospital ownership conver
- PhD Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts - 1969
- A.B. (high honors in Economics) Oberlin College, Oberlin, Ohio - 1964
Teaching Fall 2013:
- ECON 433.01, ECON OF WAGES AND EMPLOYMENT
Social Sciences 113, MW 03:05 PM-04:20 PM
- ECON 756.01, GRADUATE HEALTH ECONOMICS I
Social Sciences 111, M 06:15 PM-08:45 PM
- F.A. Sloan with L. Chepke (2008).
Medical Malpractice.. MIT Press.
- F.A. Sloan, co-edited with H. Kasper (2008).
Incentives and Choice in Health Care.. MIT Press.
- F.A. Sloan, co-edited with Hellen Gellband (2007).
Cancer Control Opportunities in Low- and Middle-Income Countries.. Washington: The National Academies Press.
- F.A. Sloan, edited with C-R. Hsieh (2007).
Pharmaceutical Innovation: Incentives, Competition, and Cost-Benefit Analysis in International Perspective.. Cambridge University Press.
- F.A. Sloan with L. Chepke (2007).
The Law and Economics of Public Health.. Now Publishers.
- F.A. Sloan with J. Ostermann, G. Picone, C. Conover, and D.H. Taylor, Jr. (2004).
The Price of Smoking.. MIT Press.
- F.A. Sloan with V.K. Smith and D.H. Taylor, Jr. (2003).
The Smoking Puzzle: Information, Risk Perception, and Choice.. Harvard University Press.
(Awarded Honorable Mention, Research
Communication Award, July 2004 by the
American Agricultural Economics Association.)
- F.A. Sloan with Stout, E., Whetten-Goldstein, K., and Liang, L. (2000).
Drinkers, Drivers, and Bartenders: Balancing Private Choices and Public Accountability.. University of Chicago Press.
Valuing Health Care: Costs, Benefits, and Effectiveness of Pharmaceuticals and Other Medical Technologies.. Cambridge: New York and Melbourne: Cambridge University Press.
- F.A. Sloan with A. Khwaja and Y. Wang (February, 2009).
Do Smokers Value their Health and Longevity Less?. Journal of Law Economics, 52(1), 171-196.
- F.A. Sloan with J. Shadle and L. Chepke (March, 2009).
Is There Empiracal Evidence for "Defensive Medicine?" A Reassessment. Journal of Health Economics, 28(2), 481-91.
- F.A. Sloan with A. Khwaja, D. Silverman and Y. Wang (March, 2009).
Are Smokers Misinformed?. Journal of Health Economics, 28(2), 385-397.
- F.A. Sloan with Y. Wang (November, 2008).
Economic Theory and Evidence on Smoking Behavior of Adults. Addiction, 103(11), 1777-1785.
- F.A. Sloan with L. Chepke (Spring 2008).
From Medical Malpractice to Quality Assurance. Issues in Sceince and Technology, 24(3), 63-70.
- F.A. Sloan with A. Khwaja and S. Chung (October, 2007).
Individual Expectations and Behaviors: Evidence of the Relationships between Mortality Expectations and Smoking Decisions. Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, 35(2), 179-201.
- F.A. Sloan with Ahmed Khwaja and Dan Silverman (September, 2007).
Time Preference, Time Discounting, and Smoking Decisions. Journal of Health Economics, 26(5), 927-949.
- F.A. Sloan with P. Arcidiancono and H. Sieg (February, 2007).
Living Rationally Under the Valcano? An Empirical Analysis of Heavy Drinking and Smoking. International Economic Review, 48(1).
- F.A. Sloan with A. Khawja, D. Silverman and Y. Wang (January, 2007).
Smoking, Wealth Accumulation, and the Propensity to Plan. Economics Letters, 94(1), 96-102.
- Seminars are UCLA, 2003
- Semiars at UCLA, Los Angelos, CA, 30 October 2003
- Lecturer at the University of the Americas, Puebla, Mexico, 27 July 2003
- NBER - Health Care Program Meeting, Harvard University, Cambridge, MA, 9 May 2003
- "Contributions of Economic Analysis to Understanding Physician Behavior", The Institute of Economics, Academia Sinica, Taipei, Taiwan, May 21, 1991
- Curriculum Vitae
Frank A Sloan
Office: Social Sciences 236
Phone: (919) 613-9358
Fax: +1 919 684 6246
Social Sciences 236
Durham, NC 27708