Elizabeth J. Costello
Professor of Psychiatry and Behavioral Science; faculty fellow, Center for Child and Family Policy
Jane Costello is professor of medical psychology in the Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Science at Duke School of Medicine. She is also an adjunct professor in the Department of Psychology and Neuroscience.
Costello was educated at Oxford University and the London School of Economics and Political Science, where she received her Ph.D., and at the University of Pittsburgh, where she did postdoctoral work in psychiatric epidemiology. She has been on the faculty at Duke since 1988.
Her work is designed to integrate developmental science with epidemiology. She is co-director of the Developmental Epidemiology program at Duke, and for the past two decades has been running a longitudinal, population-based study designed to examine the developmental origins and course of psychiatric and substance use disorders in young people. She was the principal investigator on NIDA’s Gene-Environment-Development Initiative, a genome-wide association study of risk for substance use disorders in over 12,000 youth. She is currently collaborating with Virginia Commonwealth University on a study of the developmental methylomics of childhood trauma and its health consequences.
Costello is a principal investigator on the Center for the Study of Adolescent Risk and Resilience (C-StARR) at the Center.
Gene-environment Interaction, Adolescent Substance Abuse, Children's Mental Health, Child Development
- Ph.D. University of London (UK) - 1981
Representative Publications (More Publications)
- Costello EJ, Angold A, Burns BJ, Stangl D, Tweed DL, & Erkanli A (1996). The Great Smoky Mountains Study of youth: Goals, designs, methods, and the prevalence of DSM-III-R disorders. Archives of General Psychiatry, 53 (12), 1129-1136..
- Costello EJ, Burns BJ, Angold A, & Leaf PJ (1993). How can epidemiology improve mental health services for children and adolescents? Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, 32, 1106-1113..
- Costello EJ (1990) Child Psychiatric Epidemiology: Implications for Clinical Research and Practice.In Lahey & A Kazdin (Eds.), Advances In Clinical Child Psychology, 13, New York: Plenum, 53-90..
- Costello EJ (1989). Developments in child psychiatric epidemiology. Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, 28, 836-841..
- Costello EJ, Costello AJ, Edelbrock C, Burns BJ, Dulcan MK, Brent D & Janiszewski S (1988). Psychiatric disorders in pediatric primary care: prevalence and risk factors. Archives of General Psychiatry, 45, 1107-1116..
Elizabeth J. Costello
Office: Brightleaf Square Suite 22, 905 W Main St, Durham, NC 27701
Phone: (919) 687-4686
DUMC Box 3454, Durham, NC 27710