E. Jane Costello
Associate Director of Research, Center for Child and Family Policy; Professor of Medical Psychology, Department of Psychiatry
Jane Costello is professor of medical psychology in the Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Science at Duke University. She is an adjunct professor in the Department of Psychology and Neuroscience and on the faculty of the Center for Child and Family Policy, where she serves as associate director of research.
Costello was educated at Oxford University and the London School of Economics and Political Science, where she received her Ph.D., and at the University of Pittsburgh, where she did postdoctoral work in psychiatric epidemiology. She has been on the faculty at Duke since 1988.
Her work aims to integrate developmental psychopathology with epidemiology. She is co-director of the Developmental Epidemiology Program at Duke, and for the past two decades has been running a longitudinal, population-based study designed to examine the developmental origins and course of psychiatric and substance use disorders in young people. She is currently one of the principal investigators on NIDA’s Gene-Environment-Development Initiative, which is conducting a genomewide association study of risk for substance use disorders in over 12,000 youth.
She is a principal investigator on the Center for the Study of Adolescent Risk and Resilience (C-StARR) at the Center.
Gene-environment Interaction, Adolescent Substance Abuse, Children's Mental Health, Child Development
- Ph.D. University of London - 1981
Representative Publications (More Publications)
- Costello EJ, Angold A, Burns BJ, Stangl D, Tweed DL, & Erkanli A (1996). The Great Smoky Mountains Study of youth: Goals, designs, methods, and the prevalence of DSM-III-R disorders. Archives of General Psychiatry, 53 (12), 1129-1136..
- Costello EJ, Burns BJ, Angold A, & Leaf PJ (1993). How can epidemiology improve mental health services for children and adolescents? Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, 32, 1106-1113..
- Costello EJ (1990) Child Psychiatric Epidemiology: Implications for Clinical Research and Practice.In Lahey & A Kazdin (Eds.), Advances In Clinical Child Psychology, 13, New York: Plenum, 53-90..
- Costello EJ (1989). Developments in child psychiatric epidemiology. Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, 28, 836-841..
- Costello EJ, Costello AJ, Edelbrock C, Burns BJ, Dulcan MK, Brent D & Janiszewski S (1988). Psychiatric disorders in pediatric primary care: prevalence and risk factors. Archives of General Psychiatry, 45, 1107-1116..
E. Jane Costello
Office: 203 Rubenstein Hall
Phone: (919) 613-9335
Fax: (919) 684-3731
Duke Box 90545, Durham, NC 27708-0545