Research Professor, Sanford School of Public Policy, and Faculty Fellow of the Center for Child and Family Policy
Jennifer Lansford's research focuses on the development of aggression and other behavior problems in youth, with an emphasis on how family and peer contexts contribute to or protect against these outcomes. She examines how experiences with parents (e.g., physical abuse, discipline, divorce) and peers (e.g., rejection, friendships) affect the development of children's behavior problems, how influence operates in adolescent peer groups, and how cultural contexts moderate links between parents' discipline strategies and children's behavior problems.
Her work at the Center includes the projects Childhood Risk Factors and Young Adult Competence, funded by the Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development; Intergenerational Transmission of Treatment Effects; and Optimizing Prevention of Costly Adult Outcomes.
Youth Violence Prevention, Peer Influence, Parenting
- Ph.D. University of Michigan at Ann Arbor - 2000
- M.A. University of Michigan at Ann Arbor - 1997
- B.A. Duke University - 1995
Recent Publications (More Publications)
- Hanson, JL; Albert, WD; Skinner, AT; Shen, SH; Dodge, KA; Lansford, JE (2019). Resting state coupling between the amygdala and ventromedial prefrontal cortex is related to household income in childhood and indexes future psychological vulnerability to stress.. Development and Psychopathology, 31(3), 1053-1066. [doi] [abs]
- Deater-Deckard, K; Godwin, J; Lansford, JE; Tirado, LMU; Yotanyamaneewong, S; Alampay, LP; Al-Hassan, SM; Bacchini, D; Bornstein, MH; Chang, L; Di Giunta, L; Dodge, KA; Oburu, P; Pastorelli, C; Skinner, AT; Sorbring, E; Steinberg, L; Tapanya, S (2019). Chaos, danger, and maternal parenting in families: Links with adolescent adjustment in low- and middle-income countries.. Developmental Science, e12855. [doi] [abs]
- Chang, L; Lu, HJ; Lansford, JE; Skinner, AT; Bornstein, MH; Steinberg, L; Dodge, KA; Chen, BB; Tian, Q; Bacchini, D; Deater-Deckard, K; Pastorelli, C; Alampay, LP; Sorbring, E; Al-Hassan, SM; Oburu, P; Malone, PS; Di Giunta, L; Tirado, LMU; Tapanya, S (2019). Environmental harshness and unpredictability, life history, and social and academic behavior of adolescents in nine countries.. Developmental Psychology, 55(4), 890-903. [doi] [abs]
- Duell, N; Steinberg, L; Icenogle, G; Chein, J; Chaudhary, N; Di Giunta, L; Dodge, KA; Fanti, KA; Lansford, JE; Oburu, P; Pastorelli, C; Skinner, AT; Sorbring, E; Tapanya, S; Tirado, LMU; Alampay, LP; Al-Hassan, SM; Takash, HMS; Bacchini, D; Chang, L (2019). Correction to: Age Patterns in Risk Taking Across the World.. Journal of Youth and Adolescence, 48(4), 835-836. [doi] [abs]
- Lansford, JE; Pettit, GS; Rauer, A; Vandenberg, CE; Schulenberg, JE; Staff, J; Jager, J; Dodge, KA; Bates, JE (2019). Intergenerational continuity and stability in early family formation.. Journal of Family Psychology : Jfp : Journal of the Division of Family Psychology of the American Psychological Association (Division 43), 33(3), 370-379. [doi] [abs]
Phone: (217) 722-0965
Fax: (919) 684-3731
Duke Box 90545, Durham, NC 27708-0545