Jennifer E. Lansford
Research Professor, Social Science Research Institute and Faculty Fellow, Center for Child and Family Policy
Jennifer Lansford's research focuses on the development of aggression and other behavior problems in youth, with an emphasis on how family and peer contexts contribute to or protect against these outcomes. She examines how experiences with parents (e.g., physical abuse, discipline, divorce) and peers (e.g., rejection, friendships) affect the development of children's behavior problems, how influence operates in adolescent peer groups, and how cultural contexts moderate links between parents' discipline strategies and children's behavior problems.
Her work at the Center includes the project Parenting, Adolescent Self-Regulation, and Risk-Taking Across Cultures, funded by the Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development.
Youth Violence Prevention, Peer Influence, Parenting
- Ph.D. University of Michigan - 2000
- M.A. University of Michigan - 1997
- B.A. Duke University - 1995
Representative Publications (More Publications)
- Lansford, J. E. (Ed.) (2011). Special issue: Parenting attributions and attitudes around the world. [doi]
- Lansford, J. E., Criss, M. M., Laird, R. D., Shaw, D. S., Pettit, G. S., Bates, J. E., & Dodge, K. A. (2011). Reciprocal relations between parents’ physical discipline and children’s externalizing behavior during middle childhood and adolescence. Development and Psychopathology, 23, 225-238. [doi]
- Lansford, J. E., Deater-Deckard, K., & Bornstein, M. H. (Eds.). (May, 2007). Immigrant families in contemporary society... New York: Guilford. [doi]
- Lansford, J. E., Yu, T., Erath, S., Pettit, G. S., Bates, J. E., & Dodge, K. A. (2010). Developmental precursors of number of sexual partners from age 16 to 22. Journal of Research on Adolescence, 20, 651-677. [doi]
- Lansford, J. E., Malone, P. S., Dodge, K. A., Chang, L., Chaudhary, N., Tapanya, S., Oburu, P., & Deater-Deckard, K. (2010). Children’s perceptions of maternal hostility as a mediator of the link between discipline and children’s adjustment in four countries. International Journal of Behavioral Development, 34, 452-461. [doi]
- Lansford, J. E., Malone, P. S., Dodge, K. A., Pettit, G. S., & Bates, J. E. (2010). Developmental cascades of peer rejection, social information processing biases, and aggression during middle childhood. Development and Psychopathology, 22, 593-602. [doi]
- Lansford, J. E. (2009). Parental divorce and children's adjustment. Perspectives on Psychological Science, 4, 140-152.
- Lansford, J. E., Criss, M. M., Dodge, K. A., Shaw, D. S., Pettit, G. S., & Bates, J. E. (2009). Trajectories of physical discipline: Antecedents and developmental outcomes. Child Development, 80, 1385-1402. [doi]
- Lansford, J. E., & Dodge, K. A. (2008). Cultural norms for adult corporal punishment of children and societal rates of endorsement and use of violence. Parenting: Science and Practice, 8, 257-270. [doi]
- Lansford, J. E., Erath, S., Yu, T., Pettit, G. S., Dodge, K. A., & Bates, J. E. (2008). The developmental course of illicit substance use from age 12 to 22: Links with depressive, anxiety, and behavior disorders at age 18. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry, 49, 277-885. [doi]
- Lansford, J.E, Chang, L., Dodge, K.A., Malone, P.S., Oburu, P., Palmérus, K., Bacchini, D., Pastorelli, C., Bombi, A.S., Zelli, A., Tapanya, S., Chaudhary, N., Deater-Deckard, K., Manke, B., & Quinn, N. (2005). Cultural normativeness as a moderator of the link between physical discipline and children's adjustment: A comparison of China, India, Italy, Kenya, Philippines, and Thailand. Child Development, 76, 1234-1246. [doi]
Jennifer E. Lansford
Office: Dunlap, IL
Phone: (309) 243-5322
Fax: (309) 243-5322