Jenni W. Owen
Lecturer in Public Policy and Director of Policy Initiatives, Center for Child and Family Policy
Jenni Owen’s work as director of policy initiatives for the Center focuses on the intersection between research and policy. She develops and implements strategies to increase and enhance interaction between the two. Her interests include identifying ways to institutionalize valuable interaction between researchers and policymakers for positive impact on disadvantaged and vulnerable children and families. Owen works with legislators, legislative staff, executive branch policy experts and representatives of Duke and other universities to use research to inform policy. One such effort includes the North Carolina Family Impact Seminar, which Owen directs.
Owen serves as the part-time director of the University-Based Child and Family Policy Consortium and is the school liaison for the Duke School Research Partnership. She teaches the course, Making Social Policy.
Owen was the principal investigator of the Z. Smith Reynolds Foundation’s five-year Professional Development Initiative to enhance North Carolina's system of professional development for teachers. She has served as a consultant to universities, foundations and non-profit organizations. Owen is a 2007 Eisenhower Fellow to South Africa where she focused on poverty alleviation strategies.
Prior to joining the Center, Owen was a senior policy advisor to Governor James B. Hunt Jr. and the planning director for the Hunt Institute for Educational Leadership and Policy. She holds Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees from Harvard University.
Public Policy, Crime and Juvenile Justice, Education
- M.P.A. Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government -
Teaching Fall 2013:
- PUBPOL 563S.01, MAKING SOCIAL POLICY
Rubenstein 151, TuTh 11:45 AM-01:00 PM
Representative Publications (More Publications)
- Hughes, M., & Owen, J. (Summer, 2009). What does "evidence-based" mean for you?. Common Ground (A publication of the N.C. Center for Nonprofits), XVIII(3).
- (2009). Evidence-based Policy: Strategies for improviing outcomes and accountability. [pdf]
- (2008). Dropout Prevention: Strategies for improving high school graduation rates. [pdf]
- (2007). Juvenile or Adult? Adolescent Offenders and the Line Between the Juvenile and Criminal Justice Systems. [pdf]
- (2006). Children's Mental Health: Strategies for establishing high quality and cost-effective care. [pdf]
- (2005). Medicaid Cost Containment Strategies in North Carolina and Other States. [pdf]
- Policy and practice strategies for addressing problems with school suspension, Summit: Safe Schools, Fair Schools: A Community Dialogue about School Suspensions in North Carolina. Raleigh, N.C., November, 2013 Jenni Owen
Jenni W. Owen
Office: 232 Rubenstein Hall
Phone: (919) 613-9271
Fax: (919) 684-3731
Duke Box 90545, Durham, NC 27708-0545