Ben Goodman, PhD, is a research scientist at the Center for Child and Family Policy at Duke University. He currently serves as the evaluation director of two randomized control trials of the Durham Connects universal newborn nurse home visiting program, in addition to the forthcoming dissemination of the Connects model to four low-income, rural counties as part of the North Carolina Race to the Top Early Learning Challenge Grant.
Goodman received his doctorate in human development and family studies from The Pennsylvania State University and was a postdoctoral scholar at Penn State’s Prevention Research Center prior to joining the Center for Child and Family Policy.
Goodman’s research interests focus broadly on the influence of stress and support on the quality of parent-child relationships, parents’ own well- being, and child development, as well as the evaluation of home visiting programs to improve parent and child well-being.
Early Childhood, Parenting
- Ph.D. The Pennsylvania State University - 2009
Teaching Fall 2013:
- CHILDPOL 250S.01, CHILD POLICY RESEARCH
Carr 106, WF 01:25 PM-02:40 PM
Recent Publications (More Publications)
- Toward population impact from home visiting (2013). Dodge, K.A., Goodman, W.B., Murphy, R.A., O’Donnell, K., Sato, J.. Zero to Three, 33, 17-23. [abs]
- Dodge, K.A., Goodman, W.B., Murphy, R.A., O’Donnell, K., Sato, J., & Guptill, S. (Accepted, 2013). Implementation and randomized controlled trial evaluation of universal postnatal nurse home visiting. American Journal of Public Health. [abs]
- Dodge, K.A., Goodman, W.B., Murphy, R.A., O’Donnell, K., & Sato, J. (2013). Randomized controlled trial evaluation of universal postnatal nurse home visiting: Impacts on child emergency medical care at age 12-months [Special Issue]. Pediatrics, 132, S140-S1246. [abs]
- Goodman, W.B., Crouter, A.C., Lanza, S.T., Cox, M.J., Vernon-Feagans, L., & The Family Life Project Key Investigators (2011). Paternal work stress and latent profiles of father-infant parenting quality. Journal of Marriage and Family, 73(3), 588-604. [full], [doi] [abs]
- Goodman, W.B., Crouter, A.C., & The Family Life Project Key Investigators (2009). Longitudinal associations between maternal work stress, negative work-family spillover, and depressive symptoms. Family Relations, 58(3), 245-258. [full], [doi] [abs]
- Implementation, Evaluation, and Dissemination of Universal Nurse Home Visiting, National Smart Start Conference, 2013 Goodman, W.B., Sato, J. & O'Donnell, K.
- Implementation, Evaluation, & Dissemination of Universal Nurse Home Visiting, 2013 National Smart Start Conference,Greensboro, NC, May, 2013 Goodman, W.B., Sato, J. & O'Donnell, K
Office: Erwin Square Mill Building, Bay C, Room 218
Phone: (919) 668-4126
Fax: (919) 668-6923
Duke Box 90539, Durham, NC 27708-0539