Jeannine M. Sato
Director, Durham Connects
Jeannine Sato is director of the Durham Connects nurse home visiting program for parents of newborns. She assisted in launching the program, identifying stakeholders and creating its brand identity. Sato was instrumental in building community consensus for the project, identifying and filling service gaps, and providing outreach to new parents to result in a 75 percent universal participation rate. Utilizing results of Durham Connects’ randomized control trial, Sato is currently working on program sustainability and dissemination to other communities.
Sato is interested in child and family policy issues affecting new parents and caregivers, especially family leave, access to sick days and early childhood issues. She has worked closely with the N.C. Justice Center and Family Values at Work at both the N.C. General Assembly and at the Capitol on these issues. Sato is a founding member of the N.C. MomsRising chapter, the first state chapter of the national organization. She has a background in non-profit communications, public relations, and technical writing. She holds a BA in broadcast journalism from SUNY Buffalo and a master of liberal studies from Duke University. Sato’s master's thesis was entitled "Underground: How and Why Parents Choose Unregulated Child Care."
- Master's Degree in Liberal Studies, Duke University -
- B.A. Broadcast Journalism, State University of New York - Buffalo -
- Home visiting to strengthen the medical home, Duke Family Medicine program presentation, September, 2011
- Investing in Early Childhood Through Newborn Nurse Visits to Improve Community Prosperity, Durham’s Partnership for Children Board of Directors Meeting presentation, January, 2011
- Durham’s Newborn Home Visiting Program, Duke Pediatric Residents, 2010
- Field hearing testimony regarding newborn nurse visits and early childhood wellbeing, Robert Wood Johnson Foundation Commission to Build a Healthier America Field Hearing, Raleigh, NC, June 28, 2008
- Spoke about Durham Connects and the Cribs for Kids program, Rotary Club, June 22, 2009
Jeannine M. Sato
Office: Erwin Square Mill Building, Bay C, Room 223
Phone: (919) 668-3295
Fax: (919) 668-6923
Duke Box 90539, Durham, NC 27708