Elizabeth J. Gifford, Research Scientist, Center for Child and Family Policy
Office Location: 214 Rubenstein Hall
Office Phone: (919) 613-9294
Duke Box: 90545
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Areas of Expertise
Ph.D., Penn State University, 2005
M.S., Penn State University, 2000
B.S., Cornell University, 1997
Research Description: Beth's primary research interests involve evaluating programs and policies that are designed to improve health outcomes for vulnerable children. These populations include children who are poor, in the juvenile justice system, in foster care, in special education or who have emotional and or behavioral problems. She is particularly interested in applying the best research methodology to inform decision makers as they balance goals of cost, quality and access in providing health care.
- Wells, R. and Gifford, E.J.. "Implementation of a school-based initiative for at-risk children: The first five years." Children and Youth Services Review May (2013): 787-796.  [abs]
- Gifford, E.J., Wells, R.S, Miller, S., Troop, T.O., Bai, Y., Babinski, L.. "Pairing nurses and social workers in schools: North Carolina’s school-based child and family support teams." Journal of School Health (2010). [PDF]
- Gifford, E.J. and Foster, E.M.. "Provider-level effects on length of stay for youth with mental health and substance abuse disorders." Medical Care 46 (2008): 240-246.
- Gifford, E.J., R. Weech-Maldonado, P. Short. "Encouraging Preventive Services for Low-Income Children: Implications for Expanding Medicaid Coverage to Parents." Health Care Financing Review 24.4 (2005): 81-94. [PDF]
- Bhandari, S. and E.J. Gifford. "Children with Health Insurance in the United States: 2002." (2003): 60-224. [PDF]
- Foster, E.M., E.J. Gifford. "The Transition to Adulthood for Youth Leaving Public Systems: Challenges to policies and research." On the Frontier of Adulthood: Theory, Research, and Public Policy.
Ed. R.A. Settersten, F. Furstenberg, R. Rumbaut (Eds.) University of Chicago Press, 2005
- Gifford, E.J. and Evans, K.E.. "America's Promise Alliance Dropout Prevention Summits: Mobilizing Action to Address the High School Dropout Crisis across the Nation." 2011 [PDF]
- Gifford, E.J.,Evans, K.E.,Babinski, L. and Foster, A.. "Larry King Center Evaluation: Participant Perspectives of the School Readiness Planning Process." 2011 [PDF]