- B.W. Jentleson. American Foreign Policy: The Dynamics of Choice in the 21st Century. New York: W.W. Norton and Company, 5th edition forthcoming 2013.
- B.W. Jentleson and Steven Weber. The End of Arrogance: America in the Global Competition of Ideas. Harvard University Press, 2010.
- B.W. Jentleson. American Foreign Policy: The Dynamics of Choice in the 21st Century.4th edition W.W. Norton, 2010.
- B.W. Jentleson. Perspectives on American Foreign Policy: Readings and Cases. New York: W.W. Norton and Company, 2000.
- Opportunities Missed, Opportunities Seized: Diplomacy in the Post-Cold War World.
Edited by B.W. Jentleson, editor and contributor. Rowman and Littlefield and Carnegie Commission on Preventing Deadly Conflict, 1999.
- Encyclopedia of U.S. Foreign Relations, four volumes.
Edited by Bruce W. Jentleson and Thomas G. Paterson. Oxford University Press and Council on Foreign Relations, 1997.
- B.W. Jentleson. With Friends Like These: Reagan, Bush and Saddam, 1982-1990. New York: W.W. Norton and Co., 1994.
- B.W. Jentleson. Foreign Military Intervention: The Dynamics of Protracted Conflict.
Edited by editor and contributor with Ariel Levite and Larry Berman. New York: Columbia University Press, 1992. (paperback edition, 1994.)
- B.W. Jentleson. Pipeline Politics: The Complex Political Economy of East-West Energy Trade. Ithaca, N.Y.: Cornell University Press, 1986.
- B.W. Jentleson. "Accepting Limits: How to Adapt to a Copernican World." Democracy: A Journal of Ideas (Winter, 2012).
- B.W. Jentleson. "Global Governance in a Copernican World." Global Governance 17 (Summer 2012).
- B.W. Jentleson. "The Obama Administration and R2P: Progress, Problems and Prospects." Global Responsibility to Protect Winter 2012-13 (2012).
- B.W. Jentleson. "The Remaking of the Middle East." Duke Magazine (Summer, 2011).
- B.W. Jentleson. "Beware the Duck Test." Washington Quarterly (Summer, 2011).
- B.W. Jentleson. "Metternich of Arabia." National Interest Online (June 29, 2011). [metternich-arabia-5543]
- B.W. Jentleson and Ely Ratner. "Bridging the Beltway-Ivory Tower Gap." International Studies Review (March, 2011).
- B.W. Jentleson. "Normative Future: A U.S. Perspective." Transatlantic 2020: A Tale of Four Futures (2011).
- B.W. Jentleson. "The Atlantic Alliance in a Post-America World." Journal of Trans-Atlantic Studies (March, 2009).
- B.W. Jentleson and Steven Weber. "America's Hard Sell." Foreign Policy 169 (November/December 2008). (cover story)
- B.W. Jentleson. "America's Global Role After Bush." Survival (Autumn, 2007).
- B.W. Jentleson. ""A Responsibility to Protect: The Defining Challenge for Global Community"." Harvard International Review Winter 2007 (2006).
- B.W. Jentleson. "Who 'Won' Libya? The Force-Diplomacy Debate and Its Implications for Theory and Policy." International Security (Winter, 2005-06). (with Christopher A. Whytock)
- B.W. Jentleson. "Tough Love Multilateralism." The Washington Quarterly 27 (Winter, 2003-04).
Chapters in Books
- B.W. Jentleson. "Effective Multilateralism: US Perspectives." Effective Multilateralism: Through the Looking Glass of East Asia.
Ed. Jochen Prantl, Palgrave MacMillan, forthcoming
- B.W. Jentleson. "Coercive Diplomacy: Scope and Limits, Theory and Policy." The Routledge Companion to Security Studies.
Ed. Victor Mauer and Myriam Dunn Cavelty 2009
- B.W. Jentleson. "Policy Planning: An Integrative Executive Branch Strategy." Avoiding Trivia: The Role of Strategic Planning in American Foreign Policy.
Ed. Daniel W. Drezner Brookings Institution Press, 2009
- B.W. Jentleson. "“Force and Legitimacy: Terrorism Scenarios”." Force and Legitimacy in the Evolving International System.
Ed. Ivo H. Daalder Brookings Institution Press, 2007
- B.W. Jentleson. "Yet Again: Humanitarian Intervention and the Challenges of 'Never Again'." Leashing the Dogs of War: Conflict Management in a Divided World.
Ed. Chester Crocker, Fen Osler Hampson, Pamela Aall U. S. Institute of Peace Press, 2006
- B.W. Jentleson. Theories of International Relations and Zombies, Daniel Drezner. Perspectives on Politics March 2012
- B.W. Jentleson. How We Fight: Crusades, Quagmires and the American Way of War, Dominic Tierney. H-DIPLO/ISSF, Vol. III, No. 9 (March 2012)
- B.W. Jentleson, A. Exum et al. Strategic Adaptation: Towards a New U.S. Strategy in the Middle East.June 2012 Center for a New American Security (CNAS), 2012.
- B.W. Jentleson. Strategic Leadership: Framework for a 21st Century National Secuirty Strategy. Phoenix Initiative, July, 2008. (principal co-author) [PhoenixInitiative]
- B.W. Jentleson. Coercive Diplomacy: Scope and Limits in the Contemporary World. Policy Analysis Briefs The Stanley Foundation, December, 2006.
- B.W. Jentleson. Sanctions Against Iran: Key Issues. Century Foundation Report. Century Foundation, forthcoming.
- B.W. Jentleson. "The Bi-Sectoralists." (2011-). Monthly column in Huffington Post, co-authored with Jay Pelosky.