Christina M. Gibson-Davis, Associate Professor of Public Policy, Sociology, and Psychology and Neuroscience
Office Location: 228 Rubenstein
Office Phone: (919) 613-7364
Duke Box: Duke Box 90312
Email Address: email@example.com
Areas of Expertise
- Social Policy
- Child well-being
- Economic Inequality and Poverty
PhD, Northwestern University, Evanston, IL, 2001
M.A., Northwestern University, Evanston, IL, 2001
B.A., Bates College, Lewiston, ME, 1992
Research Categories: Class differences in family formation; family formation and inequality
Teaching (Spring 2014):
- Pubpol 495s.02, Honors seminar
- Sanford 102, F 03:05 PM-05:35 PM
- Ananat, E., Gassman-Pines, A, and Gibson-Davis, C. "Community-wide job loss and teenage fertility: Evidence from North Carolina." Demography 5 (2013): 2151-2171. [abs]
- Rackin, H. and Gibson-Davis, C.M.. "The role of pre- and postconception relationships for first time parents." Journal of Marriage and Family 74 (2012): 526-539. [pdf] [abs]
- Gibson-Davis, C.M.. "Mothers but not wives: The increasing lag between nonmarital births and marriage." Journal of Marriage and Family 73 (2011): 1-15. [pdf] [abs]
- Ananat, E., Gassman-Pines, A., and Gibson-Davis, C.M. "The Effect of Plant Closings on Children's Educational Achievement." Whither Opportunity? Rising Inequality, Schools, and Children's Life Chances.
Ed. G. J. Duncan, R. Murnane 2011: 299-313.
- Gibson-Davis, C.M. and Gassman-Pines, A.. "Early Childhood Family Structure and Mother-Child Interactions: Variation by Race and Ethnicity." Developmental Psychology 46.1 (2010): 151-164. [a0017410&title=Developmental+psychology&volume=46&issue=1&date=2010&spage=151&issn=0012-1649] [abs]
- Gibson-Davis, C.M. "Money, Marriage, and Children: Testing the Financial Expectations and Family Formation Theory." Journal of Marriage and Family 71 (2009): 146-161. [pdf] [abs]
- Gibson-Davis, C.M. "The Effect of Family Structure on Maternal and Paternal Parenting." Journal of Marriage and Family 70 (2008): 452–465. [pdf] [abs]
- Gibson-Davis, C.M. "Expectations and the Economic Bar to Marriage Among Low Income Couples." Unmarried Couples With Children.
Ed. P. England and K. Edin 2007: 84-103.
- Gibson-Davis, C.M., Edin, K. & McLahanan, S. "High Hopes but Even Higher Expectations: The Retreat from Marriage Among Low-Income Couples." Journal of Marriage and Family 67 (2005): 1301-1312. [pdf] [abs]
Current Ph.D. Students
- Sarah C. Fuller
- Ashley K. Brown
- Lane Destro
- Heather Rackin