We've launched a new site so please go to People & Research for current information on our faculty and staff.
Ellen Mickiewicz, James R. Shepley Professor emerita of Sanford School of Public Policy and Professor of Political Science
Office Location: 117 Sanford Inst Bldg, Durham, NC 27708
Office Phone: (919) 613-7340
Duke Box: 90241
Email Address: email@example.com
Note: (On leave, 2013-2014)
Areas of Expertise
- International, Democracy
- Media and Communications
- Comparative Political Communication
- Media and democratization, transition countries
Ph.D., Yale University, 1965
B.A., Wellesley College, 1960
Research Categories: Mass Media, Democratization, and Former Soviet Union
Research Description: Research: Viewers' processing of television news; media and democratization in countries in transition
- E Mickiewicz. Television, power, and the public in russia. scopus. Cambridge University Press, January, 2008. 1-212 pp. [doi] [abs]
- E. Mickiewicz. Changing Channels: Television and the Struggle for Power in Russia. Oxford University Press, 1997. (Revised and Expanded Paperback Edition: Duke University Press, 1999)
- E. Mickiewicz. Split Signals: Television and Politics in the Soviet Union. Oxford University Press, 1988.
- E. Mickiewicz. "The Conundrum of Memory." The Post-Soviet Russian Media: Change and Conflicting Messages Birgit Beumers, Stephen Hutcheson and Natalya Ryulova (February 1, 2008).
- E. Mickiewicz. "Icon Anchors." The Politics of News, The News of Politics Doris Graber, Denis McQuail, Pippa Norris (2007).
- E Mickiewicz. "The election news story on Russian television: A world apart from viewers." Slavic Review 65.1 (Spring 2006): 1-23. [doi] [abs] [author's comments]
- E. Mickiewicz. "Does 'Trust' Mean Attention, Comprehension and Acceptance? Paradoxes of Russian Viewers' News Processing." Mass Media and New Democracies Katrin Voltmer (2006).
- E Mickiewicz. "Excavating Concealed Tradeoffs vol. 22:3, (July-September 2005), 355-380.." Political Communication 22.3 (Fall, 2005): 355-380. [doi] [abs] [author's comments]