Frank A. Sloan, J. Alexander McMahon Professor of Health Policy and Management and Professor of Economics
Office Location: 236 Social Sciences Building
Office Phone: (919) 613-9358
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Areas of Expertise
- Health Policy
- Aging, Long-Term Care
PhD, Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts, 1969
A.B. (high honors in Economics), Oberlin College, Oberlin, Ohio, 1964
Research Description: Research: Health economics; health policy; addiction research; medical malpractice; aging research
- F.A. Sloan with L. Chepke. Medical Malpractice. MIT Press, 2008.
- F.A. Sloan, co-edited with H. Kasper. Incentives and Choice in Health Care. MIT Press, 2008.
- F.A. Sloan, co-edited with Hellen Gellband. Cancer Control Opportunities in Low- and Middle-Income Countries. Washington: The National Academies Press, 2007.
- F.A. Sloan, edited with C-R. Hsieh. Pharmaceutical Innovation: Incentives, Competition, and Cost-Benefit Analysis in International Perspective. Cambridge University Press, 2007.
- F.A. Sloan with L. Chepke. The Law and Economics of Public Health. Now Publishers, 2007.
- F.A. Sloan with J. Ostermann, G. Picone, C. Conover, and D.H. Taylor, Jr.. The Price of Smoking. MIT Press, 2004.
- F.A. Sloan with V.K. Smith and D.H. Taylor, Jr.. The Smoking Puzzle: Information, Risk Perception, and Choice. Harvard University Press, 2003. (Awarded Honorable Mention, Research
Communication Award, July 2004 by the
American Agricultural Economics Association)
- F.A. Sloan with Stout, E., Whetten-Goldstein, K., and Liang, L.. Drinkers, Drivers, and Bartenders: Balancing Private Choices and Public Accountability. University of Chicago Press, 2000. 115-42 pp.
- Valuing Health Care: Costs, Benefits, and Effectiveness of Pharmaceuticals and Other Medical Technologies.
Edited by Frank A. Sloan. Cambridge: New York and Melbourne: Cambridge University Press, 1995. xi, 273 pp.
- F.A. Sloan with A. Khwaja and Y. Wang. "Do Smokers Value their Health and Longevity Less?." Journal of Law Economics 52.1 (February, 2009): 171-196.
- F.A. Sloan with J. Shadle and L. Chepke. "Is There Empiracal Evidence for "Defensive Medicine?" A Reassessment." Journal of Health Economics 28.2 (March, 2009): 481-91.
- F.A. Sloan with A. Khwaja, D. Silverman and Y. Wang. "Are Smokers Misinformed?." Journal of Health Economics 28.2 (March, 2009): 385-397.
- F.A. Sloan with Y. Wang. "Economic Theory and Evidence on Smoking Behavior of Adults." Addiction 103.11 (November, 2008): 1777-1785.
- F.A. Sloan with L. Chepke. "From Medical Malpractice to Quality Assurance." Issues in Sceince and Technology 24.3 (Spring 2008): 63-70.
- F.A. Sloan with A. Khwaja and S. Chung. "Individual Expectations and Behaviors: Evidence of the Relationships between Mortality Expectations and Smoking Decisions." Journal of Risk and Uncertainty 35.2 (October, 2007): 179-201.
- F.A. Sloan with Ahmed Khwaja and Dan Silverman. "Time Preference, Time Discounting, and Smoking Decisions." Journal of Health Economics 26.5 (September, 2007): 927-949.
- F.A. Sloan with P. Arcidiancono and H. Sieg. "Living Rationally Under the Valcano? An Empirical Analysis of Heavy Drinking and Smoking." International Economic Review 48.1 (February, 2007).
- F.A. Sloan with A. Khawja, D. Silverman and Y. Wang. "Smoking, Wealth Accumulation, and the Propensity to Plan." Economics Letters 94.1 (January, 2007): 96-102.