We've launched a new site so please go to People & Research for current information on our faculty and staff.
- Hal Brands. What Good is Grand Strategy? Power and Purpose in American Statecraft from Harry S. Truman to George W. Bush. Cornell University Press, 2014. [good%20is%20grand%20strategy%22&f=false]
- H Brands. Latin America's Cold War. March, 2012. [abs]
- Hal Brands. Latin America's Cold War. Harvard University Press, 2010. (Paperback released in 2012)
- Hal Brands. From Berlin to Baghdad: America's Search for Purpose in the Post-Cold War World. University Press of Kentucky, 2008.
- H Brands. "Fools Rush Out? The Flawed Logic of Offshore Balancing." The Washington Quarterly 38.2 (April, 2015): 7-28. [doi]
- Hal Brands. "Saddam Hussein, the United States, and the invasion of Iran: Was there a green light?." Cold War History 12.2 (June, 2012): 319-343. [doi] [abs]
- Hal Brands, David Palkki. ""Conspiring Bastards": Saddam Hussein's Strategic View of the United States." Diplomatic History 36.3 (June, 2012): 625-659. [doi] [abs]
- Hal Brands. "Making the conspiracy theorist a prophet: Covert action and the contours of United States-Iraq relations." International History Review 33.3 (September, 2011): 381-408. [doi] [abs]
- H. Brands. "Saddam and Israel: What do the new Iraqi records reveal?." Diplomacy and Statecraft 22.3 (September, 2011): 500-520. [doi] [abs]
- H. Brands. "Why Did Saddam Invade Iran? New Evidence on Motives, Complexity, and the Israel Factor." Journal of Military History (Summer, 2011).
- Hal Brands, David Palkki. "Saddam, Israel, and the bomb: Nuclear alarmism justified?." International Security 36.1 (Summer, 2011): 133-166. [doi]
- Hal Brands. "Reform, democratization, and counter-insurgency: Evaluating the us experience in cold war-era Latin America." Small Wars and Insurgencies 22.2 (Summer, 2011): 290-321. [doi] [abs]
- Hal Brands. "Evaluating Brazilian Grand Strategy under Lula." Comparative Strategy 31.1 (Spring, 2011): 28-49. [doi] [abs]
- Hal Brands. "Crime, Irregular Warfare, and Institutional Failure in Latin America: Guatemala as a Case Study." Studies in Conflict and Terrorism 34.3 (March, 2011): 228-247. [doi] [abs]
- Hal Brands. "Inside the Iraqi state records: Saddam Hussein, 'Irangate', and the United States." Journal of Strategic Studies 34.1 (February, 2011): 95-118. [doi] [abs]
- Hal Brands. "The United States and the Peruvian challenge, 1968-1975." Diplomacy and Statecraft 21.3 (September, 2010): 471-490. [pdf], [doi] [abs]
- Hal Brands. "Los Zetas: Inside Mexico's Most Dangerous Drug Gang." Air and Space Power Journal (Spanish Edition) (Tercer Trimestre 2009).
- Hal Brands. "Economic Development and the Contours of U.S. Foreign Policy: The Nixon Administration's Approach to Latin America, 1969â€“1974." Peace & Change 33 (April, 2008). [pdf]
- Hal Brands. "Third world politics in an age of global turmoil: The Latin American challenge to U.S. and Western Hegemony, 1965-1975." Diplomatic History 32.1 (January, 2008): 105-138. [pdf], [doi]
- Hal Brands. "Non-proliferation and the dynamics of the middle cold war: The superpowers, the MLF, and the NPT." Cold War History 7.3 (August, 2007): 389-423. [doi] [abs]
- Hal Brands. "Richard Nixon and Economic Nationalism in Latin America: The Problem of Expropriations, 1969-1974." Diplomacy & Statecraft 17 (January, 2007).
- Hal Brands. "Who saved the emperor? The MacArthur myth and U.S. policy toward Hirohito and the Japanese imperial institution, 1942-1946." Pacific Historical Review 75.2 (May, 2006): 271-305. [doi] [abs]
- Hal Brands. "Progress unseen: U.S. arms control policy and the origins of DÃ©tente, 1963-1968." Diplomatic History 30.2 (April, 2006): 253-285. [pdf], [doi]
- Hal Brands. "Rethinking Nonproliferation: LBJ, the Gilpatric Committee, and U.S. National Security Policy." Journal of Cold War Studies 8 (Spring, 2006).
- Hal Brands. "The emperor's new clothes: American views of Hirohito after World War II." Historian 68.1 (February, 2006): 1-28.
- Hal Brands. "Rhetoric, Public Opinion, and Policy in the American Debate over the Japanese Emperor during World War II." Rhetoric & Public Affairs 8 (November, 2005).
- Hal Brands. "Wartime recruiting practices, martial identity and post-World War II demobilization in colonial Kenya." Journal of African History 46.1 (March, 2005): 103-125. [doi] [abs]
- Hal Brands. "Lyndon Johnson and Chinese Representation Policy in the United Nations." American Diplomacy 9 (August, 2004).
Chapters in Books
- H. Brands. ""Diplomatic Milestones, 1992-2000: Dilemmas of the Post-Cold War Era"." Guide to U.S. Foreign Policy: A Diplomatic History.
Ed. Robert J. McMahon and Thomas W. Zeiler CQ Press, 2012: 503-516.
- Hal Brands. Gangs and the New Insurgency in Latin America. World Politics Review
(June 10, 2009).
- Hal Brands. Mexico's Narco-Insurgency. World Politics Review
(December 22, 2008).
- H. Brands. Lo que no funcionará de nuevo. El Universal
(August 31, 2008).
- Hal Brands. U.S. Plan to Fight Drugs in Mexico Bound to Falter Without Changes. San Jose Mercury News, LA Progressive, Tri-Cities Herald, Delaware State News, and other media outlets
(July 27, 2008).
- Hal Brands. The War on Terror Has Fizzled. Hartford Courant
(September 2, 2007).
- H. Brands. The Rise of the Center in Latin America. World Politics Review
- Hal Brands. The Promise and Pitfalls of Grand Strategy. Strategic Studies Institute, Army War College, August, 2012. [display.cfm]
- Hal Brands. Dilemmas of Brazilian Grand Strategy. Strategic Studies Institute, Army War College, September, 2010. [pdf]
- Hal Brands. Crime, Violence, and the Crisis in Guatemala: A Case Study in the Erosion of the State. Strategic Studies Institute, Army War College, May, 2010. [pdf]
- Hal Brands. Political Ferment in Latin America: The Populist Resurgence, the Rise of the Center, and Implications for U.S. Policy. Strategic Studies Institute, Army War College, September, 2009.
- Hal Brands. Mexico's Narco-Insurgency and U.S. Counter-Drug Policy. Strategic Studies Institute, Army War College, May, 2009. [pdf]
- HS Brands. Dealing the Political Ferment in Latin America: The Populist Revival, the Emergence of the Center, and Implications for U.S. Policy. 2009. [pdf]
Published Policy Briefs and Comments
- H. Brands. "Breaking Down Obama's Grand Strategy." National Interest (23 June 2014). [breaking-down-obamas-grand-strategy-10719]
- HS Brands. "The Enduring Dilemmas of Democracy Promotion." The National Interest (March, 2014). [the-enduring-dilemmas-democracy-promotion-10042]
- HS Brands. "Ronald Reagan's Subtle Grand Strategy." The National Interest (March, 2014). [ronald-reagans-subtle-grand-strategy-10000]
- HS Brands. "Seeking Fiscal Safety, U.S. Defense Cuts Raise Geopolitical Risk." World Politics Review (March, 2014).
- HS Brands. "Archives and the Study of Nuclear Politics." (2014). [2-what-we-talk-about-when-we-talk-about-nuclear-weapons]
- Hal Brands, David Palkki. "Why Did Saddam Want the Bomb? The Israel Factor and the Iraqi Nuclear Program." Foreign Policy Research Institute E-Notes (August, 2011).
- Hal Brands. "El renacimiento populista, el crecimiento del centro, y la politica de los Estados Unidos en Latinoamerica." Air and Space Power Journal (Spanish Edition) (Primer Trimestre 2010). (Also published as "Como Enfrentar a Desarmonia na América Latina: O Resurgimento Populista, a Emergência do Centro e as
Inferências para as Diretrizes Norte-Americanas," in Air and Space Power Journal (Portuguese Edition), 2nd Trimester 2010.)
- Hal Brands. "Los Zetas and Mexico's Transnational Drug War." World Politics Review (September, 2009).
- Hal Brands. "Third Generation Gangs and Criminal Insurgency in Latin America." Small Wars Journal (July, 2009).
- H. Brands and P. Feaver. "Common Fallacies and Uncommon Fixes in the American Grand Strategy Debate." RAND Corporation Working Paper, September, 2012
- Hal Brands. "Criminal Fiefdoms in Latin America: Understanding the Problem of Alternatively Governed Spaces." September, 2010 Policy paper prepared for US SOUTHCOM