We've launched a new site so please go to People & Research for current information on our faculty and staff.
Lori S. Bennear, Assistant Professor of Environmental Economics and Policy
Office Location: 9 Circuit Drive
Office Phone: (919) 613-8083
Duke Box: 90328
Email Address: email@example.com
Web Page: http://www.duke.edu/~lds5
Areas of Expertise
- Environment and Energy, Environmental Law, Regulation and Policy
PhD, Harvard University
MA, Yale University
AB, Occidental College
Research Categories: Environmental Economics. Evaluation of effectiveness of environmental regulations
Teaching (Spring 2015):
- Environ 201.01, Integrating env sci/pol
- Old chem 116, TuTh 01:25 PM-02:40 PM
- L.S. Bennear. "What Do We Really Know: The Effect Of Reporting Thresholds On Inference Using Environmental Right-To-Know Data." Regulation and Governance 2.3 (2008): 293-315. [x]
- L.S. Bennear and S.M. Olmstead. "The Impacts of the "Right to Know": Information Disclosure and the Violation of Drinking Water Standards." Journal of Environmental Economics and Management 56.2 (2008): 117-130.
- L.S. Bennear and R.N. Stavins. "Second-Best Theory and the Use of Multiple Policy Instruments." Environmental and Resource Economics 37.1 (2007): 111-129.
- L.S. Bennear. "Are Management-Based Regulations Effective?." Journal of Policy Analysis and Management 26.2 (2007): 327-348.
- L.S. Bennear, R.N. Stavins, A. Wagner. "Private Options to Use Public Goods: Using Revealed Preferences to Estimate Environmental Benefits." Journal of Regulatory Economics 28.2 (2005): 157-180.
- Bennear, Lori S. and Cary Coglianese. "Measuring Progress: Program Evaluation of Environmental Policies." Environment 47.2 (2005): 22-39.
- L.S. Bennear with Nolan Miller and Robert Stavins. "The Effects of Environmental Regulation on Technology Diffusion: The Case of Chlorine Manufacturing." American Economic Review, Papers and Proceedings 93.2 (2003): 431-435.
- L.S. Bennear with Tom Boer, James Sadd, and Manuel Pastor. "Every Breath You Take: The Demographics of Toxic Air Releases in Southern California." Economic Development Quarterly 13.2 (May, 1999).
- L.S. Bennear with Tom Boer, James Sadd, and Manuel Pastor. "Is There Environmental Racism: An Empirical Analysis of the Geographical Distribution of Hazardous Waste Facilities in Los Angeles County." Social Science Quarterly (December, 1997).
- L.S. Bennear. "Evaluating Management-Based Regulation: A Valuable Tool in the Regulatory Tool Box?." Leveraging the Private Sector: Management-Based Strategies for Improving Environmental Performance.
Ed. Coglianese, Cary and Jennifer Nash. Washington DC: Resources for the Future Press, 2006
- C. Coglianses and L.S. Bennear. "Program Evaluation of Environmental Policies: Toward Evidence-Based Decision Making." Decision Making for the Environment: Social and Behavioral Science Research Priorities.
Ed. Brewer, G.D. and P.C. Stern. National Academies Press, 2005
- L.S. Bennear, Katrina K Jessoe, and Sheila M. Olmstead. "Sampling Out: Regulatory Design and the Total Coliform Rule." Environ Sci & Technol (Submitted, 2008).
- L.S. Bennear, M. Baker-Goering, M. Lenox. "The Effectiveness of Information Disclosure: An Examination of the TRI." 2008
- M.B. Sullivan, L.S. Bennear, W.E. Painter, Jr.. "A Quasi-experimental Examination of Family Centered Treatment®: Outcomes for a Juvenile Delinquent Population." 2008
- L.S. Bennear and K.L. Dickinson. "The Role of Program Evaluation in Environmental Policy: A Critical Evaluation of the Incentives Created by GPRA and PART.." 2008 [pdf]
Environmental and natural resource economics, applied microeconomics, and empirical methods. Her research focuses on estimating the effect of different regulatory innovations on measures of facility-level environmental performance, such as pollution levels, chemical use, and technology choice. Recent work has focused on measuring the effectiveness of management-based regulations, which require each regulated entity to develop its own internal rules and initiates to achieve reductions in pollution, as well as the effectiveness of regulations that mandate public reporting of toxic emissions.