We've launched a new site so please go to People & Research for current information on our faculty and staff.
Roy Kelly, Professor of the Practice of Public Policy, Duke Center for International Development
Office Location: 280 Rubenstein Hall
Office Phone: (919) 613-9392, (919) 613-9230
Duke Box: 90237
Email Address: email@example.com
Areas of Expertise
- International, International Development
- Public Finance, State and Local Government Finance
PhD, Harvard University, 1985
MCRP, Harvard University, 1981
BA, Magna Cum Laude, West Virginia University, 1976
Research Categories: International Development
Fiscal Decentralization in Ghana, Fiscal Decentralization and Property Tax Reform, Improving Public Financial Management through Decentralization in Developing Countries
Research Description: Research: Fiscal Decentralization; Public financial management and budgeting, intergovernmental transfers; local government finance; property taxation
Teaching (Spring 2015):
- Pubpol 790.14, Special topics in idp
- Rubenstein 151, MW 10:05 AM-11:20 AM
- with J. Boex. "Fiscal Federalism and Intergovernmental Financial Relations." International Handbook of Public Financial Management.
Ed. R. Allan, R. Hemming and B. Potter Palgrave McMillan, 2013
- R. Kelly. "Making the Property Tax Work." (2013). [ispwp1311.pdf] [abs] [author's comments]
- R. Kelly. "Property Tax Collection and Enforcement." Primer for the Property Tax.
Ed. W. McCluskey Wiley-Blackwell Publication, 2013
- R. Kelly and Jamie Boex. "Fiscal Decentralization in Kenya: A Small Step or Giant Leap?”." (2011). Urban Institute Policy Brief, May 2011
- R. Kelly. "“Stock Taking of Fiscal Decentralization Policies in Nepal: Consolidated Report,”." (2011). [Stocktaking%20Final%20Report_%20Kelly%202012%20revised.pdf] [abs] [author's comments]
- R. Kelly with Nick Devas. "Regulation or Revenues? An Analysis of Local Business Licensing, with a Case Study of the Single Business Permit Reform in Kenya." Public Administration and Development 21 (2001): 381-391.
- R. Kelly. "Designing a Property Tax Reform for Sub-Saharan Africa: An Analytical Framework applied to Kenya." Public Finance and Budgeting 20.4 (2000): 36-51.
- R. Kelly with Graham Glenday, Meera Mehta. "Kenya: An Assessment of Local Service Delivery and Local Government in Kenya." World Bank Report 24383 (June 25, 2002).
- R. Kelly with Glenn Jenkins and Rup Khadka. ""Central-Local Fiscal Relations"." Reengineering Tax Systems in Low-Income Countries: An Application to Nepal.
Ed. Glenn P. Jenkins and Rup Khadka New York: Kluwer Law International, 2002
- R. Kelly with Marco Montes, Edith Maseya, Kenneth Nkandkha and Kiisa Tombere. "Improving Revenue Mobilization in Malawi: Study on Business Licensing and Property Rates (Final Report)." (October, 2001). (Policy Research submitted to the
Decentralization Secretariat (Government of
- R. Kelly. "Strengthening the Revenue Side." Fiscal Decentralization in Indonesia a Decade after Big Bang. University of Indonesia Press, 2012 [abs]