We've launched a new site so please go to People & Research for current information on our faculty and staff.
Chapters in Books
- S.G. Sanders, V.J. Hotz, & S. McElroy. "The Impact of Teenage Childbearing on the Mothers and the Consequences of those Impacts for Government." Kids Having Kids: Economic Cost and Social Consequences of Teen Pregnancy.
Ed. Rebecca Maynard 1996
- S.G. Sanders. Crime and the family: Lessons from teenage childbearing. Controlling Crime: Strategies and Tradeoffs. NBER, 2011
- DA Black, N Kolesnikova, SG Sanders and LJ Taylor. "THE ROLE OF LOCATION IN EVALUATING RACIAL WAGE DISPARITY.." Journal of labor economics 2.1 (May, 2013): 2-2. [abs]
- Fredrik Andersson, Monica Garcia-Perez, John Haltiwanger, Kristin McCue and Seth Sanders. "Workplace Concentration of Immigrants." Revise and Resubmit at Demography (2012).
- Dan Black, Yu-Chieh Hsu, Seth Sanders, Lowell Taylor. "Forward and Backward Estimates of Mortality." Revise and Resubmit at Demography (2012).
- Dan Black, Seth Sanders, Evan Taylor, Lowell Taylor. "The Impact of the Great Migration on Mortality of African." Revise and Resubmitt at the American Economic Review (2012).
- DA Black, SG Sanders, EJ Taylor and LJ Taylor. "The Impact of the Great Migration on Mortality of African Americans: Evidence from the Deep South.." The American economic review 105.2 (February, 2015): 477-503. [doi] [abs]
- F Andersson, M García-Pérez, J Haltiwanger, K McCue and S Sanders. "Workplace Concentration of Immigrants." Demography 51.6 (December, 2014): 2281-2306. [doi]
- S Israel, A Caspi, DW Belsky, H Harrington, S Hogan, R Houts, S Ramrakha, S Sanders, R Poulton and TE Moffitt. "Credit scores, cardiovascular disease risk, and human capital.." Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 111.48 (December, 2014): 17087-17092. [repository], [doi] [abs]
- MM Gorsuch, SG Sanders and B Wu. "Tooth loss in Appalachia and the Mississippi delta relative to other regions in the United States, 1999-2010.." American journal of public health 104.5 (May, 2014): e85-e91. [doi] [abs]
- DA Black, N Kolesnikova, SG Sanders and LJ Taylor. "Are Children “Normal”?." Review of Economics and Statistics 95.1 (March, 2013): 21-33. [abs]
- Dan Black, Natalia Kolesnikova, Seth Sanders and Lowell Taylor. "Are Children Normal?." Review of Economics and Statistics (February, 2012 (posted online)).
- Dan Black and S.G. Sanders. "Inequality and Human Capital in Appalachia, 1960–2000." Appalachian Legacy: Economic Opportunity After the War on Poverty (2012): 240.
- Eduardo Fajnzylber, S.G. Sanders, V.J Hotz. "An Economic Model of Amniocentesis Choice Advances in Life Course." Advances in Life Course Research 15.1 (March, 2010): 11-26.
- E Fajnzylber, VJ Hotz and SG Sanders. "An economic model of amniocentesis choice.." Adv Life Course Res 15.1 (March, 2010): 11-26. , [doi] [abs]
- S.G. Sanders, D. Black, A. Haviland, & L. Taylor. "Gender Wage Differences Among the Highly Educated." Journal of Human Resources (2008). (forthcoming)
- DA Black, AM Haviland, SG Sanders and LJ Taylor. "Gender wage disparities among the highly educated." Journal of Human Resources 43.3 (Summer, 2008): 630-659.  [abs]
- DA Black, SG Sanders and LJ Taylor. "The economics of lesbian and gay families." Journal of Economic Perspectives 21.2 (Spring, 2007): 53-70. [doi]
- D Black, A Haviland, S Sanders and L Taylor. "Why do minority men earn less? A study of wage differentials among the highly educated." Review of Economics and Statistics 88.2 (May, 2006): 300-313. [repository], [doi] [abs]
- JA Seltzer, CA Bachrach, SM Bianchi, CH Bledsoe, LM Casper, PL Chase-Lansdale, TA Diprete, VJ Hotz, SP Morgan, SG Sanders and D Thomas. "Explaining Family Change and Variation: Challenges for Family Demographers.." J Marriage Fam 67.4 (November, 2005): 908-925. , [doi] [abs]
- D Black, T McKinnish and S Sanders. "The economic impact of the coal boom and bust." Economic Journal 115.503 (April, 2005): 449-476. [doi] [abs]
- VJ Hotz, SW McElroy and SG Sanders. "Teenage childbearing and its life cycle consequences: Exploiting a natural experiment." Journal of Human Resources 40.3 (Summer, 2005): 683-715. [abs]
- DA Black, TG McKinnish and SG Sanders. "Tight labor markets and the demand for education: Evidence from the coal boom and bust." Industrial and Labor Relations Review 59.1 (October, 2005): 3-16. [repository], [doi] [abs]
- SG Sanders, D Black and T McKinnish. "Does the Availability of High-Wage Jobs for Low-Skilled Men Affects AFDC Expenditures: Evidence from Shocks to the Coal and Steel Industries." Journal of the Public Economics 87.9-10 (September, 2003): 1919-1940. [doi] [abs]
- SG Sanders, D Black, H Makar and L Taylor. "The Effect of Sexual Orientation on Earnings." Industrial and Labor Relations Review 56.3 (March, 2003): 449-469.
- D Black, S Sanders and L Taylor. "Measurement of Higher Education in the Census and Current Population Survey." Journal of the American Statistical Association 98.463 (September, 2003): 545-554. [doi] [abs]
- DA Black, S Sanders and L Taylor. "The economic reward for studying economics." Economic Inquiry 41.3 (July, 2003): 365-377. [doi] [abs]
- DA Black, TG McKinnish and SG Sanders. "Does the availability of high-wage jobs for low-skilled men affect welfare expenditures? Evidence from shocks to the steel and coal industries." Journal of Public Economics 87.9-10 (2003): 1921-1942. [doi] [abs]
- SG Sanders, D Black and T McKinnish. "Are We Understanding the Impact of Economic Conditions on Welfare Rolls?." Australian Journal of Labour Economics 5.4 (December, 2002): 489-505.
- DS Nagin, JB Rebitzer, S Sanders and LJ Taylor. "Monitoring, motivation, and management: The determinants of opportunistic behavior in a field experiment." American Economic Review 92.4 (September, 2002): 850-873. [doi] [abs]
- D Black, G Gates, S Sanders and L Taylor. "Why do gay men live in San Francisco?." Journal of Urban Economics 51.1 (January, 2002): 54-76. [doi] [abs]
- D Black, K Daniel and S Sanders. "The impact of economic conditions on participation in disability programs: Evidence from the coal boom and bust." American Economic Review 92.1 (March, 2002): 27-50. [repository], [doi] [abs]
- D Black, G Gates, S Sanders and L Taylor. "Demographics of the gay and lesbian population in the United States: Evidence from available systematic data sources." Demography 37.2 (May, 2000): 139-154. [abs]
- T McKinnish, S Sanders and J Smith. "Estimates of effective guarantees and tax rates in the AFDC program for the post-OBRA period." Journal of Human Resources 34.2 (Spring, 1999): 312-345. [abs]
- BO Daponte, S Sanders and L Taylor. "Why do low-income households not use food stamps? Evidence from an experiment." Journal of Human Resources 34.3 (Summer, 1999): 612-628. [abs]
- BO Daponte, GH Lewis, S Sanders and L Taylor. "Food pantry use among low-income households in Allegheny County, Pennsylvania." Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior 30.1 (1998): 50-57. [abs]
- S.G. Sanders & R.A. Miller. "Human Capital Development and Welfare Participation." Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy 46 (July, 1997): 1-47.
- VJ Hotz, CH Mullin and SG Sanders. "Bounding Causal Effects Using Data from a Contaminated Natural Experiment: Analysing the Effects of Teenage Childbearing." Review of Economic Studies 64.4 (September, 1997): 575-603. [abs]
- S.G. SandersV. J. Hotz, R. Miller, & J. Smith. "A Simulation Estimator for Sequential Models of Discrete Choice." Review of Economic Studies 61.2 (June, 1994): 265-289.
- SG Sanders and HO Duleep. "Empirical Regularities Across Cultures: The Effect of Children on Women's Work." Journal of Human Resources 29.2 (Spring, 1994): 328-347.
- SG Sanders and HO Duleep. "The Decision to Work by Married Immigrant Women: Evidence from Asian Women." Industrial and Labor Relations Review 46.4 (July, 1993): 677-690.
- SG Sanders and HO Duleep. "Discrimination at the Top: American-Born Asian Men." Industrial Relations 41 (November, 1992): 416-432.
- S.G. Sanders, V.J. Hotz, & S. McElroy. "The Costs and Consequences of Teenage Childbearing for Mothers." Chicago Policy Review 1.1 (1996): 55-94.
- S.G. Sanders, D. Black, & K. Daniel. "The Rise and Fall of King Coal." Kentucky Annual Economic Report (1995).
- S.G. Sanders, B. Daponte, G. Lewis, & L. Taylor. "An Examination of Food Pantry Use." United Way (December, 1994).
- S.G. Sanders & V. J. Hotz. "Bounding Treatment Effects in Experimental Evaluations Subject to Post-Randomization Treatment Choice." Bulletin of the International Statistical Institute, 49th Session (1994).