We've launched a new site so please go to People & Research for current information on our faculty and staff.
Subhrendu K. Pattanayak, Professor of Public Policy, Environment, Economics and Global Health
Office Location: 126 Rubenstein
Office Phone: (919) 613-9306
Duke Box: 90312
Email Address: email@example.com
Web Page: http://sites.duke.edu/cookstove/
Web Page: https://tinyurl.com/GoogleScholar-SKPattanayak
Areas of Expertise
- Environment and Energy, Environmental Law, Regulation and Policy
Evaluation of Ecosystem Services
Economics of Environmental Health
- Health Policy, Global Health
- International, Environmental Management and Policy
Summer Institute in Public Health, Harvard University, Cambridge, MA, 2004
PhD, Environmental Economics, Duke University, Durham, NC, 1997
MS, Economics, Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN, 1992
B.A., Economics, St. Stephen’s College, University of Delhi, India, 1990
Teaching (Fall 2015):
- Environ 538.01, Environ health: econ and polic
- Sanford 03, TuTh 11:45 AM-01:00 PM
- Pattanayak, S.K., & E. Sills. "Do Tropical Forests Provide Natural Insurance? The Microeconomics of Non-Timber Forest Products Collection in the Brazilian Amazon." Land Economics 77.4 (2001): 595-612.
- Smith, V. K., & S. K. Pattanayak. "Is Meta-Analysis the Noah’s Ark for Non Market Valuation?." Environmental and Resource Economics 22.1-2 (2002): 271-296.
- Smith, V.K., G.L. Van Houtven. & S.K. Pattanayak. "Benefit Transfer via Preference Calibration: Prudential Algebra for Policy." Land Economics 78.1 (2002): 132-152.
- Pattanayak, S.K., E. Sills, & R. Kramer. "Seeing the Forests for the Fuel." Environment and Development Economics 9.2 (2004): 155-179.
- Pattanayak, S.K., J.C. Yang, D. Whittington, & Bal Kumar K.C. "Coping with Unreliable Public Water Supplies: Averting Expenditures by Households in Kathmandu, Nepal." Water Resources Research 41.2 (2005).
- Pattanayak, S.K., & D.T. Butry. "Spatial Complementarity of Forests and Farms: Accounting for ecosystem services." American Journal of Agricultural Economics 87.4 (2005): 995-1008.
- Pattanayak, S.K., J-C. Yang, K. L. Dickinson, C. Poulos, S.R. Patil, R. Mallick, J. Blitstein & P. Praharaj. "Shame or subsidy revisited: Social mobilization for sanitation in Orissa, India." Bulletin of World Health Organization 87.8 (Summer, 2009): 580-587.
- Pattanayak, SK., C. Poulos, J-C. Yang, S.R.Patil, K.J. Wendland. "Of Taps and Toilets: Quasi-experimental protocols for evaluating community-demand driven projects." Journal of Water and Health 7 (3) (2009): 434-451.
- Ferraro, P.J., & S. K. Pattanayak. "Money for Nothing? A Call for Empirical Evaluation of Biodiversity Conservation Investments." PLOS Biology 4.4 (2006): e105 (0482-0488). [journal.pbio.0040105]
- Pattanayak, SK, and A Pfaff. "Behavior, environment and health in developing countries: Evaluation and valuation." Annual Review of Resource Economics 1 (2009): 183-222.
- Pattanayak, S.K., & K. J. Wendland. "Nature's Care: Diarrhea, Watershed Protection and Biodiversity Conservation in Flores, Indonesia." Biodiversity and Conservation 16.10 (2007): 2801-2819.
- S.K. Pattanayak. "Rough guide to impact evaluation of environmental and development programs." Working Paper, SANDEE. (2009). [pdf]
Current Ph.D. Students