Contemporary Art (1945 - Present)
Visual Studies/Visual Culture
Theory & Criticism
20th Century Art
Social Art Practice & Participatory Art
I continue to work on a comprehensive survey of world art since 1945 with Professor Kathy O'Dell, Associate Dean, College of Arts, Humanities & Social Sciences, University of Maryland, Baltimore County.
My research concerns all aspects of global contemporary art and theory, with a focus on artists writings and experimental art, from conceptual and performance art to installation and art and technology. I continue to work on destruction in art and feminism, as well as in the fields of trauma studies and visual and cultural studies. Two areas in which my research is growing are curatorial studies and practices, and animal studies with a concentration on horses.
Ph.D. University of California at Los Angeles 1987
M.A. University of California at Berkeley 1976
B.A. San Jose State University 1970
Teaching (Spring 2016):
- Vms 327s.01, Theories visual/media studies
- Smith wrhs a266, Th 08:45 AM-11:15 AM
- Vms 327s.02, Theories visual/media studies
- Smith wrhs a266, Th 03:05 PM-05:35 PM
- Stiles, K; Selz, P. Theories and Documents of Contemporary Art: A Sourcebook of Artists’ Writings. University of California Press,
(2012). (2nd, revised, expanded edition edited by Kristine Stiles)
- Stiles, K. Correspondence Course, An Epistolary History of Carolee Schneemann and Her Circle. Duke University Press,
(2010). (With an Introduction and extensive annotations by Kristine Stiles)
- States of Mind: Dan & Lia Perjovschi. Nasher Museum of Art at Duke University; distributed by Duke University Press, Durham, North Carolina,
(2007). (With contributions by Andrei Codrescu, Marius Babius and Ruxana Marcoci)
- “Cloud with its Shadow: Marina Abramovic” in Marina Abramovic. Phaidon,
- K Stiles. "Burden of Light." manualChris Burden (2007).
- K Stiles. "Teaching a Dead Hand to Draw, Kim Jones, War and Art." manualKim Jones: A Retrospective (2007).
- K Stiles. "Conversation with William Pope.L." manualThe Voice of Images (2012): 181-193.
- K Stiles. "Uncorrupted Joy: International Art Actions." manualOut of Actions: Between Performance and the Object 1949-1979 Paul Schimmel Edition (1998): 226-238. [pdf]
- K Stiles. "Metzger's Fierce, Poignant, and Prescient Manifestos." manualRett Kopi: Documents the Future (2006): 157-166.
- K Stiles. "Performance." manualCritical Terms for Art History. Edited
by R Nelson and R Shiff. 2nd Edition (2003): 75-97.
- Selected Invited Lectures
- “Ever so Far at Close Shooting Range: Warhol’s Polaroid Photographs", November 1, 2010, Department of Art History at the Indiana University, Bloomington, Indiana.
- “Whose Ethics? Principles and Standards in Age of Global Art", 2010, Museum of Islamic Art, Doha, Qatar
- “Global Techniques of Performance”, 2010, Internationale Sommerakademie für Bildende Kunst, Salzburg, Austria.
- “World Trends and Contemporary Art at the Minneapolis Institute of Art”, 2010, Minneapolis Institute of Art, Minneapolis.
- “Eastern European Performance in the 1970s and early 1980s”, 2010, Museum of Modern Art, New York City.
- “Mind Control and Remote Viewing, Uses and Abuses of Traumatic Dissociation”, 2010, University of California, Santa Cruz
- “‘Props for the Memory’, or Joseph Beuys and the Legacy of Fascism", 2010, Savannah College of Art and Design, Savannah, Georgia.
- “Ever so Far at Close Shooting Range: Warhol’s Polaroid Photographs”, 2009, Nasher Museum of Art at Duke University
- “Wild Artists and Radical Events: Writing about Experimental Art, Trauma & Artist’s Writings”, 2009, Chautauqua Lecture series, Duke University
- "Thinking about Artists' Writings", December 4, 2008, at tranzit.hu, Budapest, Hungary