Visual Worlds: A History of Christian Visual Culture from the Reformation to the Present. To be presented as the 2012 Cadbury Lectures at the University of Birmingham, England, March 7 to 15, 2012
David Morgan is Professor of Religion with a secondary appointment in the Department of Art, Art History, and Visual Studies at Duke. He received his Ph.D. at the University of Chicago in 1990. He has published several books and dozens of essays on the history of religious visual culture, on art history and critical theory, and on religion and media. His most recent book is The Embodied Eye: Religious Visual Culture and the Social Life of Feeling (California, 2012). Recent works include: The Lure of Images: A History of Religion and Visual Media in America (Routledge, 2007) and two volumes that Morgan edited and contributed to: Religion and Material Culture: The Matter of Belief (Routledge, 2010) and Key Words in Religion, Media, and Culture (Routledge, 2008). Earlier works include Visual Piety (University of California Press, 1998), Protestants and Pictures (Oxford, 1999), and The Sacred Gaze ( California, 2005). Morgan is co-founder and co-editor of the international scholarly journal, Material Religion, and co-editor of a book series at Routledge entitled “Religion, Media, and Culture.”
PhD University of Chicago 1990
Teaching (Fall 2014):
- Religion 912s.01, Theorizing religion
- Gray 319, F 01:40 PM-04:10 PM
- David Morgan. Image and Imagination in Modern Christianity. 2015.
- David Morgan, “Religion and Media: A Critical Review of Recent Developments”,
Critical Research on Religion: An Interdisciplinary Journal, vol. 1 no. 3
pp. 47-56 .
- David Morgan, Kimsooja and the Art of Place,
in Kimsooja: Unfolding
pp. 115-123, Vancouver Art Gallery .
- David Morgan, "Art, Material Culture, and Lived Religion",
in The Oxford Handbook of Religion and the Arts, edited by Frank Burch Brown no. 480-497
(2013), Oxford University Press .
- David Morgan, Mídia, milênio, nacionalidade: cultura impressa evangélica nos primórdios da nação norte-americana,
in A Comunicação Religiosa Cristã entre a História da Igreja e a História das Religiões (Século V-XXI), edited by Eliane Moura da Silva and Néri de Barros Almeida
(2012), UNIFESP-Universidade Federal de São Paulo [author's comments].
- Selected Invited Lectures
- "The Look of the Sacred", May 16, 2008
- "Religion, Media, Culture: The Shape of the Field", April 11, 2008
- “Looking Beyond the Modern Bubble: Medieval Art and the Study of Modern Visual Culture”, March 15, 2008
- "Marian Visual Piety and the Economy of Belief", March 02, 2007