Stanley Abe has published on Chinese Buddhist art, contemporary Chinese art, Asian American art, Abstract Expressionism, and the construction of art historical knowledge. He is writing a critical study of how Chinese sculpture became a category of Fine Art during the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries.
PhD University of California, Berkeley 1989
|Office Location:|| 118 East Duke Building|
|| (919) 684-2487 |
|Email Address: || email@example.com |
|Web Page: || |
Teaching (Fall 2014):
- Arthist 89s.01, First-year seminar (top)
- East duke 204a, Th 10:05 AM-12:05 PM
- Mfaeda 791.01, Thesis writing
- White 106, W 11:45 AM-01:00 PM
- Mfaeda 792.01, Thesis project
- White 104, W 11:45 AM-01:00 PM
- Ordinary Images. University of Chicago Press,
- A Freer Stela Reconsidered. Freer Gallery of Art and Arthur M. Sackler Gallery Occasional Paper,
- "The Modern Moment of Chinese Sculpture." Misul Charyo 美術資料 (Fine Art Materials) vol. 82 (December, 2012): 63-82.
- "Rockefeller Home Decorating and Objects from China." Collecting China: The World, China, and a Short History of Collecting. Edited
by Vimalin Rujivacharakul. (2011): 107–23.
- "Locating World Art." The Migrant’s Time: Rethinking Art History and Diaspora. Edited
by Saloni Mathur. (2011): 130-45.
- "China, The Buddha, and Modern Aestheticism." Re-Imagining Asia: A Thousand Years of Separation. Edited
by Shaheen Merali. (2008): 124-133.
- "To Avoid the Inscrutable: Abstract Expressionism and the "Oriental Mode"." Discrepant Abstraction. Edited
by Kobena Mercer. (2006): 52-73.
- Selected Invited Lectures
- Necessary Fictions: Imagining Sculpture in China, November 14, 2013, University of Minnesota–Twin Cities
- Moving Buddha: Imagining Sculpture in China, November 8, 2013, Courtauld Institute of Art, London
- Imagining Chinese Sculpture, June 05, 2013, Department of Art Research, Archives and Information Systems, National Research Institute for Cultural Properties, Tokyo, Japan
- Moving Buddha: Chinese Sculpture and Global Modernity, May 14, 2013, Department of Fine Arts, National Taiwan Normal University, Taipei, Taiwan
- Sculpture in the Golden Age of East Asian Art Collecting, March 16, 2012, “The Dragon and the Chrysanthemum: Collecting Chinese and Japanese Art in America” Symposium, The Frick Collection and Art Reference Library, New York
- The Modern Moments of Chinese Sculpture, January 31, 2012, Silberger Lecture, Institute of Fine Arts, New York
- The Modern Moment of Chinese Sculpture, 2011, National Museum of Korea, Seoul
- Order and Things: The Transformation of Chinese Objects into Sculpture, March 16, 2011, Cleveland Museum of Art
- Duplicates in Chinese Stone Sculpture, November 9, 2010, New Research on Buddhist Sculpture, Victoria and Albert Museum, London
- Order and Things: Art History and Chinese Sculpture, September 21, 2010, School of Oriental and African Studies, University of London [Announcement]
- Circa 1909: Moving Japanese and Chinese Sculpture to the United States, October 30, 2009, "Circa 1909" Symposium, Museum für Ostasiatische Kunst, Köln
- Selected Other
- Moderator and Discussant for “Buddhist Art: Objects and Contexts”, November 10, 2011, Pulitzer Foundation of the Arts, St. Louis