- Tom Rankin. A Place of Tender Images: Paul Kwilecki's Four Decades of Photography of Decatur County, GA. (2012).
- Tom Rankin. Truths of the Matter: Traditions in Documentary Studies. (2012).
- Colors of Confinement: Color Photographs of Japanese AmericanIncarceration in World War II. edited by Tom Rankin with Iris Tillman Hill(2012).
- In This Timeless Time. edited by Tom Rankin, with Iris Tillman Hill(2011).
- Reality Radio: Telling True Stories in Sound. edited by Tom Rankin, with Iris Tillman Hill, John Biewen & Alexa Dilworth(2010).
- Tom Rankin. Beyond Beauty: The Archive of Documentary Arts at Duke University. (2009).
- Tom Rankin. Local Heroes Changing America: Indivisible. W.W. Norton and Company/Lyndhurst Books,
- Tom Rankin. "The Cruel Radiance of the Obvious." Southern Cultures (2011).
- Tom Rankin. "Maasai Community of Lakipia." (September, 2009).
- Tom Rankin. "Five Farms: Stories from American Farm Families." (July, 2009). (Five-hour National Public Radio Special)
- Tom Rankin. "Mike Seeger Remembered." (2009). (Porch Gallery, Http://cdsporch.org/archives/589)
- Tom Rankin. "Paul Kwilecki Remembered." (2009). (Porch Gallery,http://cdsporch.org/archives/1863)
- Tom Rankin. "Judgment and Grace in Dixie." . Edited
by Charles Reagan Wilson. (2007).
- Tom Rankin. "Visualizing the World of William Faulkner." American Studies International, Oct. 1998. Edited
by Peter J. Brownlee. vol. XXXVI no. 3 (2007).
- Tom Rankin. "The Injuries of Time and Weather." Southern Cultures vol. 13.2 (2007): 3-28. (Introductory essay for special issue on southern photography)
- Tom Rankin. "Seeing What We Need To See." The Light Factory (2007). (an essay on documentary photography, River Docs Catalog, Charlotte, NC)
- Tom Rankin. "Share a Table, Make a Friend." Appalachian Heritage (2007). (Berea College, KY)
- Tom Rankin. "Careful Tending." Last Harvest: Truck Farmers in the Deep South (2006). (Book by Perry Dilbeck)
- Tom Rankin. "Putting a Bottom Under It." Oxford American (2005). (Issue 49)
- Tom Rankin. "The Last Days of Kitty Shenay." (2004). (Web-based photographic exhibition for "The Hospice Experiment," National Radio Documentary, American Radio Works (americanradioworks.org))
- Tom Rankin. "In Wildness." Daylight Magazine vol. 1 (2004). (Photo essay)
- Tom Rankin. "Home and Away at 25." 25 Under 25: Up-and-Coming American Phogtographers (2003).
- Tom Rankin. "The Lure of the Picture and the Nature of Tradition." (October, 2002). (American Folklore Society Annual Conference, Rochester, New York)
- Tom Rankin. "Fixing the Southern Vernacular: The Contemporaneous Art of Walker Evans and William Faulkner." (July, 2002). (Delivered at 26th annual Faulkner & Yoknapatawpha Conference, Oxford, MS)
- Tom Rankin. ""Indivisible: Stories of American Community"." (January, 2001). (Tampa Museum of Art)
- Tom Rankin. ""Crossroads and the Cross: Visualizing the Blues, Visualizing the Blues Symposium"." (November, 2000). (The Dixon Gallery and Gardens, Memphis, TN)
- Tom Rankin. ""Carried to the Heart:: Faith & Doubt"." (November, 1999). (Contemporary Southern Art and Literature, Milsaps College, Mississippi)
- Tom Rankin. ""Near the Cross": Rendering Faiths in the American South"." (November, 1999).
- Tom Rankin. "Rendering Local Community: Stories of Indivisible." (October, 2002). (Anchorage Museum of History and Art, Anchorage, AK)
- Tom Rankin. "Photography's Lure." (October, 2002). (Atlanta Celebrates Photography, Michael Carlos Museum, Emory University)
- Tom Rankin. "The Art of Farming." (December, 2010). (Photographs and audio by students at the Center for Documentary Studies, part of the larger Five Farms Project.)
- "In My Mind." (2009). (Tom Rankin, executive producer; (Gary Hawkins, director; Emily Ladue, producer); Traces the creation and performance of Jazz pianist Jason Moran's interpretation of Thelanious Monk's 1959 Town Hall Concert.)
- Tom Rankin. "Knowing John McWilliams." Castings (2002). (publication exhibition created by Cathy Byrd)
- Tom Rankin. ""A Mississippi Portrait": Farm Security Administration Photographs, 1935-1940." (2000). (CD Rom of the Library of Congress. FSA Photographs from Mississippi)
- Tom Rankin. ""Near the Cross": Rendering Faiths in the American South"." Image: Journal of Art, Literature and Religion (Winter, 1999).