Nicolas Buchler, Assistant Professor
Our lab is interested in the systems biology and evolution of epigenetic switches (bistability) and clocks (oscillators) in gene regulatory networks, two functions that are essential for patterning, cell proliferation, and differentiation in biological systems. We also study biochemical oscillators such as the cell cycle, metabolic rhythms, and circadian clocks, which co-exist in the same cells and interact with one another through shared resources.
Ph.D., University of Michigan at Ann Arbor, 2001
M.S., University of Michigan at Ann Arbor, 1998
B.S., University of California at San Diego, 1995
Office Location: Rm 2353a, CIEMAS Bldg, 101 Science Drive, Duke Box 3382, Durham, NC 27710
Office Phone: (919) 699-8209
Email Address: email@example.com
Web Page: http://buchler.phy.duke.edu/
Additional Web Page: http://buchler.phy.duke.edu/
Cell and Molecular Biology
Research Categories: Molecular mechanisms and the evolution of switches and oscillators in gene networks; systems biology; comparative genomics
- Zhou, M; Wang, W; Karapetyan, S; Mwimba, M; Marqués, J; Buchler, NE; Dong, X, Redox rhythm reinforces the circadian clock to gate immune response., Nature, vol. 523 no. 7561 (July, 2015), pp. 472-476 [repository], [doi] [abs].
- Tanouchi, Y; Pai, A; Park, H; Huang, S; Stamatov, R; Buchler, NE; You, L, A noisy linear map underlies oscillations in cell size and gene expression in bacteria., Nature, vol. 523 no. 7560 (July, 2015), pp. 357-360 [repository], [doi] [abs].
- Mazo-Vargas, A; Park, H; Aydin, M; Buchler, NE, Measuring fast gene dynamics in single cells with time-lapse luminescence microscopy., Molecular Biology of the Cell, vol. 25 no. 22 (November, 2014), pp. 3699-3708 [repository], [doi] [abs].
- Cross, FR; Buchler, NE; Skotheim, JM, Evolution of networks and sequences in eukaryotic cell cycle control, Philosophical Transactions B, vol. 366 no. 1584 (2011), pp. 3532-3544 [repository], [doi] [abs].
- Buchler, NE; Cross, FR, Protein sequestration generates a flexible ultrasensitive response in a genetic network, Molecular systems biology, vol. 5 (2009), pp. 272 [doi] [abs].
- Buchler, NE; Louis, M, Molecular Titration and Ultrasensitivity in Regulatory Networks, Journal of Molecular Biology, vol. 384 no. 5 (2008), pp. 1106-1119 [doi] [abs].