Mark D Rausher, Professor
PhD, Cornell University, 1978
Ecology and Population Biology
Research Categories: Evolutionary Genetics and Molecular Evolution
Research Description: We investigate the evolutionary processes that cause change at both the phenotypic and genetic levels. We have particular interests in the genetic basis of adaptation and in the evolution of metabolic pathways. Our approaches include molecular dissection of ecologically important phenotypes and characterizing patterns of selection acting on those phenotypes under natural conditions. For more information, please visit the Rausher lab web site.
Areas of Interest:
genetics of adaptation
evolution of pathways and networks
quantifying natural selection
evolution of plant mating systems
evolution of plant-enemy interactions
- R. A. Smith and M.D. Rausher, Experimental evidence that selection favors character displacement in the ivyleaf morning glory, American Naturalist, vol. 171 (2008), pp. 1-9 .
- M. Vallejo-Marin and M.D. Rausher, Selection through female fitness helps to explain the maintenance of male flowers, American Naturalist, vol. 169 (2007), pp. 563-568 .
- M.D. Rausher, Comment on "Evolutionary paths underlying flower color variation in Antirrhinum", Science, vol. 315 no. 461a (2007) .
- J.M. Kniskern and M.D. Rausher, Natural selection on a polymrophic disease-resistance locus in Ipomoea purpurea, Evolution, vol. 61: 377-387 (2007) .
- M. Vallejo-Marin and M.D. Rausher, The role of male flowers in andromonoecious species: energetic costs and siring success in Solanum carilonense, Evolution, vol. 61 (2007), pp. 404-412 .
- R.A. Smith and M.D. Rausher, Close clustering of anthers and stigma in Ipomoea hederacea enhances prezygotic isolation from I. purpurea, New Phytologist, vol. 173 (2007), pp. 641-647 .
- J. M. Kniskern and M.D. Rausher, Environmental variation mediates the deleterious effects of Coleosporium ipomoea on its host, Ipomoea purpurea, Ecology, vol. 87 (2006), pp. 675-685 .
- M.D. Rausher, The evolution of flavonoids and their genes, in The Science of Flavonoids, edited by E. Grotewold (2006), Springer .
- J.M. Kniskern and M.D. Rausher, Major-gene resistance to the rust pathogen Coleosporium ipomoeae is common in natural populations of Ipomoea purpurea, New Phytologist, vol. 171 (2006), pp. 137-144 .
- S-M. Chang, Y. Lu, M.D. Rausher, Neutral Evolution of the Non-binding Region of the Anthocyanin Regulatory Gene Ipmyb1 in Ipomoea., Genetics, vol. 170 (2005), pp. 1967-1978 .
- Zufall, R. A., and M.D. Rausher, Genetic changes associated with floral adaptation restrict future evolutionary potential, Nature, vol. 428 (2004), pp. 847-850 [pdf] .
- Mendelson, T. C., B. D. Inouye, and M.D. Rausher, Quantifying patterns in the evolution of reproductive isolation, Evolution, vol. 58 (2004), pp. 1685-1695 [pdf] .
- C. Fehr and M.D. Rausher, Effects of variation at the flower-color A locus on mating system parameters in Ipomoea purpurea, Molecular Ecology, vol. 13 (2004), pp. 1839-1847 [pdf] .
- Y. Lu and M.D. Rausher, Evolutionary rate variation in anthocyanin pathway genes., Molecular Biology and Evolution, vol. 20 (2003), pp. 1844-1853 [pdf] .
- L. C. Coberly and M.D. Rausher, Analysis of a chalcone synthase variant in Ipomoea purpurea reveals a novel function for the flavonoids: ameliorating heat stress, Molecular Ecology, vol. 12 (2003), pp. 1113-1124 [pdf] .
- J. R. Stinchcombe and M.D. Rausher, Evolution of tolerance to deer herbivory: modification caused by the abundance of insect herbivores., Proceedings of the Royal Society of London (Biological Sciences), vol. 269 (December, 2002), pp. 1241-1246 [pdf] .
- JR Stinchcombe, MT Rutter, DS Burdick, P Tiffin, MD Rausher, and R Mauricio, Testing for environmentally induced bias in phenotypic estimates of natural selection: theory and practice, American Naturalist (January, 2002) [pdf] .
- M.D. Rausher, Coevolution and plant resistance to natural enemies, Nature, vol. 411 (January, 2001), pp. 857-864 .
- B Subramaniam and MD Rausher, Balancing selection on a floral polymorphism, Evolution, vol. 54 (January, 2000), pp. 691-695 .
- P. Tiffin, R.E. Miller, and M.D. Rausher, Control of expression patterns of anthocyanin structural genes by two loci in the common morning glory., Genes and Genetic Systems, vol. 73 (1998), pp. 105-110 [pdf] .