V. Louise Roth, Associate Professor
Office Location: BioSci: 241
Office Phone: 919-660-7352, 660-7353
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Organismal Biology and Behavior
Research Categories: Morphological and molecular evolution in mammals: size, shape, and ontogeny
Research Description: In addition to conceptual work on the biological bases of homology, variation, and parallel evolution, my research has focused on evolutionary changes in size and shape in mammals: the functional consequences of these changes, and the evolutionary modifications of ontogenetic processes that produce them. This work makes use of DNA sequences, morphometric data, and geographic distributions to study macroevolutionary changes within a phylogenetic context. Projects have included DNA sequence phylogenies of squirrels, experimental work on prenatal maternal effects on body size in large insular deermice, and morphometric studies of growth in elephants, dwarfism in an insular (Pleistocene) dwarf mammoth, and gigantism in insular deermice.
- Price, S.A., S.S.B. Hopkins, K.K. Smith, & V.L.Roth, Tempo of trophic evolution and its impact on mammalian diversification, PNAS, vol. 109 no. 18 (2012), pp. 7008-7012 [doi] [abs].
- Durst, P.A.P. & V.L. Roth, Classification tree methods provide a multifactorial approach to predicting insular body size evolution in rodents, The American Naturalist, vol. 179 no. 4 (2012), pp. 545-553 [abs].
- Curtin, AJ, AA MacDowell, E Schaible & VL Roth, Non-invasive histological comparison of bone growth patterns among fossil and extant neonatal elephantids using synchrotron radiation X-ray microtomography, Journal of Vertebrate Paleontology, vol. 32 no. 4 (2012), pp. 939-955 [abs].
- K.-J. Chi and V.L. Roth, Scaling and mechanics of carnivoran footpads reveal the principles of footpad design, Journal of the Royal Society Interface, vol. 7 (2010), pp. 1145-1155 (with 18 pp of Electronic Supplementary Material.) [doi] [abs] [author's comments].
- Roth, VL & JM Mercer, Differing rates of macroevolutionary diversification in arboreal squirrels, Current Science, vol. 95 (2008), pp. 857-861 [abs].
- V.L. Roth, Variation and versatility in macroevolution., in Variation, a Central Concept in Biology, edited by B. HallgrÍmsson & B.K. Hall (2005), pp. 455-474 [author's comments].
- J.M. Mercer & V.L. Roth, The effects of Cenozoic global change on squirrel phylogeny., Science, vol. 299 (2003), pp. 1568-1572 (Supporting Online Material: www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/full/ 1079705/DC1.) .
- V.L. Roth, Ecology and evolution of dwarfing in insular elephants, in The World of Elephants: Proceedings of the 1st International Congress, pp. 507-509, edited by G Cavarretta, P Gioia, M Mussi and MR Palombo (2001), Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche: Rome .
- V.L. Roth, Character replication, in The Character Concept in Evolutionary Biology, pp. 81-107, edited by GP Wagner (2001), Academic Press .
Duke Biology Box 90338 Durham, NC 27708 Phone: 919-660-7372 Fax: 919-660-7293