Vance A. Tucker, Professor Emeritus of Zoology
Vance Tucker is interested in comparative physiology, particularly the energetics of locomotion, and the interactions between an organism's natural environment and its respiratory and circulatory systems. Much of his research has dealt with the aerodynamics and energetics of avian flight, and has also included work on mammals, reptiles, amphibians and insects. He is particularly interested in those aspects of physiology that can be described in physical or physical-chemical terms, usually involving math ematical models. Examples of such subjects are: energy storage by stretched elastic structures in running animals, wave making by insects swimming on water surfaces and heat exchange in animals entering into and arousing from hibernation.
Ph.D., University of California at Los Angeles, 1963
M.S., University of Wisconsin at Madison, 1960
B.A., University of California at Los Angeles, 1958
Office Location: 0032 Bio Sci Bldg, Durham, NC 27708
Office Phone: (919) 684-3484
Email Address: email@example.com
Organismal Biology and Behavior
- Tucker, VA, Gliding flight: Drag and torque of a hawk and a falcon with straight and turned heads, and a lower value for the parasite drag coefficient, The Journal of experimental biology, vol. 203 no. 24 (December, 2000), pp. 3733-3744 [abs].
- Tucker, VA; Tucker, AE; Akers, K; Enderson, HJ, Curved flight paths and sideways vision in peregrine falcons (Falco peregrinus), The Journal of experimental biology, vol. 203 no. 24 (December, 2000), pp. 3755-3763 [abs].
- Tucker, VA, The deep fovea, sideways vision and spiral flight paths in raptors, The Journal of experimental biology, vol. 203 no. 24 (December, 2000), pp. 3745-3754 [abs].
- Tucker, VA, A 4 g, battery-powered, data logger accelerometer for free-flying birds, Review of Scientific Instruments, vol. 70 no. 11 (November, 1999), pp. 4394-4397 [doi] .
- Tucker, VA; Cade, TJ; Tucker, AE, Diving speeds and angles of a gyrfalcon (Falco rusticolus), The Journal of experimental biology, vol. 201 (Pt 13) (July, 1998), pp. 2061-2070 [abs].