Julie Reynolds, Associate Professor of the Practice
Ph.D., University of California at Berkeley, 2001
M.S., University of California at Davis, 1994
B.A., Pomona College, 1990
- Office Hours:
Please use this link to select an appointment time https://www.appointlet.com/en/scheduler/book/?user=1163
Ecology and Population Biology
Research Categories: Scholarship of Teaching and Learning, Science Literacy and Civic Engagement, Writing-to-learn pedagogies
Areas of Interest:
Writing-to-learn pedagogies in STEM disciplines
Assessing the extent to which biology courses promote science literacy, understanding of the nature of science, critical thinking skills, and enthusiasm for biology
Assessing the efficacy of teaching technologies at promoting student learning (e.g., Calibrated Peer Review™, iPods, iPads, FlipVideo)
Assessing learning outcomes associated with the pedagogy of Research Service Learning (RSL)
- Dowd, JE; Roy, CP; Thompson, RJ; Reynolds, JA, “On Course” for Supporting Expanded Participation and Improving Scientific Reasoning in Undergraduate Thesis Writing, Journal of Chemical Education, vol. 92 no. 1 (January, 2015), pp. 39-45 [doi] .
- Dowd, JE; Connolly, MP; Thompson, RJ; Reynolds, JA, Improved Reasoning in Undergraduate Writing through Structured Workshops, The Journal of economic education, vol. 46 no. 1 (January, 2015), pp. 14-27 [doi] .
- Reynolds, JA; Lowman, MD, Promoting ecoliteracy through research service-learning and citizen science, Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment, vol. 11 no. 10 (2013), pp. 565-566 [doi] .
- Lemons, P; Reynolds, JA; Curtin, A; Bissell, A, Improving Critical-Thinking Skills in Introductory Biology Through Quality Practice and Metacognition, in Using Reflection and Metacognition to Improve Student Learning, edited by M. Kaplan, N. Silver, D. LaVaque-Manty, & D. Meizlish, (2013), pp. 232 pages, Stylus Publishing, LLC [abs].
- Thaiss, C; Reynolds, JA, How Writing-to-Learn Practices Improve Student Learning: Connecting Research and Practice through a Consideration of Mechanisms of Effect, in Changing the Conversation about Higher Education, edited by Thompson, RJ (2013), pp. 216 pages, Rowman & Littlefield [abs].