Justin Wright, Associate Professor
PhD, Cornell University, 2002
BA, Williams College, 1996
Ecology and Population Biology
Biological Sciences Building
Research Categories: Community, Landscape and Ecosystem Ecology
Research Description: My research focuses on understanding the causes and consequences of patterns of biological diversity across the planet. I am particularly interested in two broad questions: 1)How does the modification of the environment by organisms affect community structure and ecosystem function? and 2) what aspects of biodiversity matter most in the regulation of ecosystem function? While much of my research has focused on wetland plant communities, I am willing to study any organism and work in any ecosystem to answer the questions that interest me. I have worked in systems ranging from tropical streams to desert shrublands. My research program combines observational and experimental approaches with modeling to develop and test hypotheses and build towards synthetic ecological theory.
- Cardinale, B., D. Srivastiva, E. Duffy, J. Wright, A. Downing, M. Sankaranan, and C. Jouseau, Consistent effects of biodiversity on the functioning of trophic groups and ecosystems, Nature, vol. 443 (2006), pp. 989-992 .
- Wright, J.P., C.G. Jones, B. Boeken, M. Shachak, Predictability of ecosystem engineering effects on species richness across environmental variability and spatial scales., Journal of Ecology, vol. 94 (2006), pp. 815-824 .
- Wright, J.P. and C.G. Jones, The concept of organisms as ecosystem engineers ten years on: Progress, limitations, and challenges, BioScience, vol. 56 (2006), pp. 203-209 .
- Wright, J.P., S. Naeem, A. Hector, C. Lehman, P. Reich, B. Schmid, and D. Tilman, Conventional functional classification schemes underestimate the relationship with ecosystem functioning, Ecology Letters, vol. 9 (2006), pp. 111-120 [abs].
- Wright, J.P. and Jones, C., Predicting effects of ecosystem engineers on patch-scale richness from primary productivity, Ecology, vol. 85 (2004), pp. 2071-2081 .
- Wright, J.P., W.S.C. Gurney, and C.G. Jones, Patch dynamics in an engineered landscape, Oikos, vol. 105 (2004), pp. 336-348 .
- Naeem, S. and Wright, J.P., Disentangling biodiversity effects on ecosystem functioning: deriving solutions to a seemingly insurmountable problem, Ecology Letters, vol. 6 (2003), pp. 569-579 .
- Wright, J.P., A.S. Flecker, and C.G. Jones, Local versus landscape controls on plant species richness in beaver meadows, Ecology, vol. 84 (2003), pp. 3162-3173 .
- Wright, J.P., C.G. Jones, and A.S. Flecker, An ecosystem engineer, the beaver, increases species richness at the landscape scale., Oecologia, vol. 132 (2002), pp. 96-101 .