Katharina V. Koelle, Associate Professor
My research focuses on the ecology and evolution of infectious diseases. I use a combination of mathematical and statistical approaches to understand the processes driving the disease dynamics of pathogens. My interests include developing models to improve our understanding of how immune escape and other viral phenotypes impact the ecological dynamics of RNA viruses, and, in turn, how these ecological dynamics create selection pressures on viral pathogens. Additional interests include developing within-host models of viral dynamics and evolution and fitting these models to empirical data. Current research projects focus primarily on influenza and dengue.
Ph.D., University of Michigan at Ann Arbor, 2005
BS, Stanford University, 1997
Ecology and Population Biology
Research Categories: Theoretical biology; ecology and evolution of infectious diseases
Research Description: My research focuses on the ecology and evolution of infectious diseases. I use a combination of mathematical and statistical approaches to understand the processes driving the disease dynamics of pathogens. My interests include the effect of climate on disease dynamics and the role that immune escape plays in the ecological dynamics of RNA viruses. Current projects focus on influenza, dengue, and norovirus.
- Ben-Shachar, R; Koelle, K, Minimal within-host dengue models highlight the specific roles of the immune response in primary and secondary dengue infections, Journal of the Royal Society Interface, vol. 12 no. 103 (December, 2014), pp. 20140886-20140886 [repository], [doi] .
- Rasmussen, DA; Volz, EM; Koelle, K, Phylodynamic Inference for Structured Epidemiological Models, edited by Kosakovsky Pond, SL, PLoS computational biology, vol. 10 no. 4 (Accepted, 2014), pp. e1003570-e1003570 [repository], [doi] .
- Koelle, K; Rasmussen, DA, Influenza: Prediction is worth a shot, Nature, vol. 507 no. 7490 (February, 2014), pp. 47-48 [doi] .
- Rasmussen, DA; Boni, MF; Koelle, K, Reconciling Phylodynamics with Epidemiology: The Case of Dengue Virus in Southern Vietnam, Molecular Biology and Evolution, vol. 31 no. 2 (February, 2014), pp. 258-271 [repository], [doi] .
- Wu, S; Koelle, K; Rodrigo, A, Coalescent entanglement and the conditional dependence of the times to common ancestry of mutually exclusive pairs of individuals., Journal of Heredity, vol. 104 no. 1 (January, 2013), pp. 86-91 , [doi] [abs].