Meng Chen, Assistant Professor
Postdoctoral Fellow, The Salk Institute, 2007
Ph.D., Plant Physiology, Iowa State University, 1999
B.S./M.S., Biochemistry, Iowa State University, 1994
FR/SO, Biochemistry, NanKai University (China), 1989
Cell and Molecular Biology
Research Categories: Light signaling and nuclear organization in plants
Research Description: Research in my laboratory is aimed at understanding how light controls plant development through the red and far-red photoreceptors, photochromes. In particular, we focus on answering the following three interrelated questions: (1) How does phytochrome signaling regulate transcription by controlling nuclear organization? We are particularly interested in a light-dependent phytohchrome-containing subnuclear domain named photobody and the phytochrome-regulated spatial organization of individual light responsive genes. (2) How does phytochrome signaling control the stability and activity of master transcription factors? (3) How does phytochrome signaling in the nucleus control transcription in the plastids to coordinate nuclear/plastidial gene expression? We use Arabidopsis thaliana, an ideal genetic model species, and a combination of genetic, cell biological, biochemical, and genomic approaches to address these questions.
- EK Van Buskirk, AK Reddy, A Nagatani, M Chen, Photobody Localization of Phytochrome B Is Tightly Correlated with Prolonged and Light-Dependent Inhibition of Hypocotyl Elongation in the Dark., Plant physiology, vol. 165 no. 2 (April 25, 2014), pp. 595-607 [doi] [abs].
- Feng, C.-M., Qiu, Y., Van Buskirk, E.K., Yang, E.J., Chen, M., Light-regulated gene repositioning in Arabidopsis, Nat Commun, vol. 5:3027 (January 6, 2014), pp. doi: 10.1038/ncomms4027 .
- RM Galvão, M Li, SM Kothadia, JD Haskel, PV Decker, EK Van Buskirk, M Chen, Photoactivated phytochromes interact with HEMERA and promote its accumulation to establish photomorphogenesis in Arabidopsis., Genes Dev, vol. 26 no. 16 (August, 2012), pp. 1851-63 [doi] [abs].
- EK Van Buskirk, PV Decker, M Chen, Photobodies in light signaling., Plant Physiol, vol. 158 no. 1 (January, 2012), pp. 52-60 [doi] [abs].
- M Chen, J Chory, Phytochrome signaling mechanisms and the control of plant development., Trends Cell Biol, vol. 21 no. 11 (November, 2011), pp. 664-71 [doi] [abs].
Duke Biology Box 90338 Durham, NC 27708 Phone: 919-660-7372 Fax: 919-660-7293