E. Roy WeintraubClick here for a printer-ready version, or
download as a PDF or Word file.
|Box 90097, Durham, NC 27708-0097
|| (919) 660-1838 (office)
|Ph.D.||University of Pennsylvania||1969|
|M.S. (Applied Mathematics)||University of Pennsylvania||1968|
|M.S.||University of Pennsylvania||1967|
|A.B. (Mathematics)||Swarthmore College||1964|
- Areas of Interest
- Life writing and the history of economics
Historiography of economics
History of the mathematization of economics
- Areas of Experience
- 1976-present Professor of Economics, Duke University
- 1993-1995 Acting Dean, Faculty of Arts and Sciences, Duke University
- 1972-1976 Associate Professor of Economics, Duke University
- 1970-1972 Assistant Professor of Economics, Duke University
- 1968-1970 Assistant Professor of Economics, Rutgers College, Rutgers - the State University of New Jersey
- 1971-1972, Visiting Lecturer in Economics, University of Bristol, (U.K.)
- Fall 1978, Visiting Professor of Economics, The University of Hawaii
- Fall 1982, Visiting Professor of Economics, UCLA
- May 1987, Visiting Professor, Facoltà di Scienze Politiche, Università di Roma "La Sapienza"
- May 1988, Benjamin Meaker Visiting Professor of Economics, University of Bristol
- 1988-1989, Fellow, National Humanities Center, Research Triangle Park, North Carolina
- Sept. 1989, "Professeur Invité", Faculté des sciences économiques et de gestion, l'Université de Strasbourg
- Fall 1992, Cassa Di Risparmio Di Venezia Visiting Professor of Economics, Università di Venezia, Ca' Foscari
- Fall 1999 and May 2003, Visiting Professor, Dipartimento di Economia e Istituzioni, Università di Roma, Tor Vergata
- May 2004 and May 2005, Visiting Scholar, Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche, Università di Roma "La Sapienza"
- May 2006 and November 2009, "Professeur Invité", Ecole Normale Supérieure de Cachan
- Awards, Honors, and Distinctions
De Viti de Marco Lecture, University of Salento in Lecce, University of Salento in Lecce, June, 2014
Distinguished Fellow, History of Economics Society, June 19, 2011
Jérome Adolphe Blanqui Lecture, European Society for the History of Economic Thought, April, 2006
Chair, Academic Council, 1981-1982, 1991-1992
Best Monograph Prize, European Society for the History of Economic Thought, June, 2005
Joseph J. Spengler Prize for the Best Book in the History of Economics, History of Economics Society, June, 2005
Kleber-Gery Lecture, St. Olaf College, April 15, 2004
President, History of Economics Society, 2003-2004
New Beginnings Fellow, John Hope Franklin Center, Duke University, 2001-2002
Keynote address, History of Economic Thought Society of Australia, Canberra, July, 1999
Fellow, National Humanities Center, 1998-99
Cassa Di Risparmio Di Venezia Visiting Professor, University of Venice, Ca' Foscari, Fall 1992
Howard Johnson Distinguished Teaching Award, Duke University, May, 1992
Keynote speaker, 30 Colloque de l'Association Charles Gide pour l'étude de la Pensee Economique, Strasbourg, September, 1989
Benjamin Meeker Visiting Professor, University of Bristol, Bristol UK, May, 1988
Fellow, National Humanities Center
Invited Doctoral Dissertation Session, American Economic Association, December, 1969
- Selected Recent Invited Talks
- Lionel McKenzie and the Existence of a Competitive Equilibrium, University of Sao Paulo, Brazil, August 2010
- Lionel McKenzie and the Existence of a Competitive Equilibrium, Ecole Normale Supérieure de Cachan, November 2009
- Mathematics and Economics, University of Athens (Gr.), May 25, 2007
- Autobiography and the History of Economics, Ecole Normale Supérieure de Cachan, May 11, 2006
- Economic Science Wars, Ecole Normale Supérieure de Cachan, May 4, 2006
- Economic Science Wars, James Madison University, October 5, 2005
- Filing Formal Objections, Centro Interdipartimentale di Ricerca in Metodologia delle Scienze, Univ. of Rome 1, May 23, 2005
- Making a Mathematical Economics, Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche, Università di Roma "La Sapienza", May 16, 2005
- Problems in the History of Economics as a Subdiscipline, Università di Milano-Bicocca, Italia, May 9, 2005
- Equilibrium Proofmaking, Univ. of Quebec at Montreal, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche sur la science et la technologie, October 8, 2004
- Equilibrium Proofmaking, Univ. of California at Riverside, June 9, 2004
- Presidential Address, History of Economics Society, Toronto, CA, June, 2004
- Autobiography and the History of Economics, University of Rome 1, "La Sapienza", May, 2004
- How Economics Became a Mathematical Science, University of Pisa, Pisa, Italy, May, 2004
- Equilibrium Proofmaking, Economics Department, Virginia Tech, Blacksburg VA, 19 September 2003
- How Economics Became a Mathematical Science, Ente "Luigi Einaudi" (Bank of Italy), Rome, 26 May 2003
- Equilibrium Proofmaking, Centro Interdipartimentale di Ricerca in Metodologia delle Scienze, Univ. of Rome 1, 21 May 2003
- Equilibrium Proofmaking, University of Rome, Tor Vergata, Department of Political Economy, May 5, 2003
- Equilibrium Proofmaking, Economics Dept, NC State University, March 25, 2003
Invited Papers and Lectures (1987-2002)
- Doctoral Theses Directed
- Pedro Duarte, Constructing Concepts of Optimal Monetary Policy in the Postwar Period, (2005 - 2007)
History of Economics Society, Boston, 1987; History of Science Society, Raleigh, 1987; University of Bristol, 1988; University of Bath, 1988; Conference on "Whither Macroeconomics?", Helsinki, Finland, June 1988; Keynote speaker, 30 Colloque de
l'Association Charles Gide pour l'Étude de la Pensee Economique, Strasbourg, Sept. 1989; Conference on Alternative Research Programmes, Capri, Italy, Oct. 1989; American Economic Association, Atlanta, December 1989; Univ. of Tennessee, 1990;
Univ. of Washington, 1990; American Economic Assoc. Washington, DC, 1990; Conference on Images of The Natural, Notre Dame Univ. Oct. 1991; Univ. of Iowa, Oct. 1991; Amer. Econ. Assoc., New Orleans, Jan. 1992; Univ. of Milan, Nov. 1992; Univ. of
Rome, Depts. of Mathematics and Economics, Oct. 1992; Univ. of Bologna, Dec. 1992; Univ. of Bergamo, May 1994; Veblen Society, Plenary Session, Chicago Oct. 1994; University of Arizona, Oct. 1995; History of Economics Society, Vancouver 1996; History of Economics Society, Charleston, 1997; XXth International Congress of History of Science, Liege, 1997; Scientia, Rice University, Sept. 1997; Univ. of Quebec at Montreal, October 1997; Univ. of Toronto, April 1998; Conference on "Crossing the Boundaries", ECHE Antwerp, Belgium April 1998; RAI3-TV, Rome, April 1998; Univ. Of Rome, April 1998; Univ. of Siena, May 1998; LSE History and Philosophy of Science, May 1998; Cornell University, Science and Technology Studies, October 1998; Keynote address, History of Economic Thought Society of Australia, July 1999; Univ.of
Sydney, July 1999; George Mason Univ. Sept. 1999; Univ. Of Nice - Sophia Antipolis, April 2000; Univ. of Amsterdam, April 2000; Univ. of Mass. (Amherst), Sept. 2000; Colloque de l'Association Charles Gide pour l'Étude de la Pensee Economique, Strasbourg, Sept. 2001; EHESS- Centre Alexandre Koyre, Paris, May 2002; Univ. of Paris 1, Pantheon-Sorbonne, May 2002; Univ. of Paris 8, St. Denis, May 2002.
Other Professional Service
Co-Editor, Book Series Cambridge Surveys of Economic Literature, 1984-1990; Board of Editors: Journal of Economic Literature, 1978-1984; American EconomicReview, 1981-1984; History of Political Economy, 1985-1988 ; Feminist Economics, 1994-2002; President-Elect, History of Economics Society, 2002-2003.
Referee: International Economic Review; American Economic Review; History of Political Economy; Journal of Economic Literature; Economic Inquiry; Kyklos; Southern Economic
Journal; Social Science Quarterly; Journal of Money, Credit, and Banking; Journal of Post Keynesian Economics; Econometrica; Journal of Policy Analysis and Management; Economics and Philosophy; Perspectives on Science; Journal of the History of Economic Thought; Journal of Economic Methodology; Edward Elgar Publishers; Cambridge University Press; Oxford University Press; University of Chicago Press; Princeton University Press; Basil Blackwell, Ltd.; Routledge Ltd.
Director, Workshop in Economic Thought, 1986-1991, 1995-1998; Principal Investigator, Sloan Foundation Grant to Economic Thought Workshop; Co-Director, Economists' Papers Project, Duke University Special Collections Library; Director, Conference on the History of Game Theory, Fall 1990:(Funding from John Olin Foundation and The Duke Endowment); Steering Committee, Ford Foundation Grant to Economics and Political Science Departments, 1997-2000; Director, Conference on the Future of the History of Economics, Spring 2001.
Consultant: Resources for the Future; ITE Imperial Corporation; Cambridge University Press; Kudzu Alliance; North Carolina Public Utilities Commission.
Member: American Economic Association; History of Economics Society; History of Science Society.
Testimony: North Carolina Public Utilities Commission Load Forecast Hearings, August, 1979, Docket E-100, sub 35; NCPUC, Alternative Energy Corporation Hearings, January, 1980, Docket E-100, sub 37; NCPUC, PURPA, Rate Structure Hearings, Docket E-100, sub 38, September 1980; NCPUC, Load Forecast Hearings, Docket E-100, sub 40, January, 1981.
University Activities Before 2000
Doctoral Dissertations Supervised (and initial student placements)
- Administration: Director of Graduate Studies, Economics: 1972-81; Chairman, Economics Department, 1983-87; Acting Director, Institute of Statistics and Decision Sciences, 1986-87;
Director, Sloan Foundation Grant (Technology and the Liberal Arts), 1986-87; Acting Dean of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences, 1993-95; Director, Center for Social and Historical Studies of Science, 1996-99.
- Trinity College of Arts and Sciences: A.B. Duke Scholarship Interviews (Regional and
Campus) 1975-78; Faculty Fellow, Edens Federation, 1975-78; Undergraduate TeachingCouncil, 1976-78; Chairman, Undergraduate Teaching Council, 1977-78; Pre-major Advisor,1982-87, 1991-92, 1998-99; UFCAS Executive Committee, 1984-85; Chair, Review of
DUET (Duke Undergraduates Evaluate Teaching) Experiment, Fall 1998; Chair, Ad HocCommittee to Review the Premajor Advising Center and its Director, Spring 1999.
- Graduate School: Executive Committee of the Graduate Faculty, 1973-75, 1978-80, 1985-87. James B. Duke Fellow Selection Committee, 1973-75; Chairman, Ad Hoc Committee of the
Academic Council on Graduate Education, 1977-78. Programs Committee, 1986-87;Commencement Speaker, Ph.D. ceremony, May 1999.
- Duke University: Academic Council, 1974-80, 1982-84, 1997-99; Executive Committee, Academic Council, 1979-80; Chairman, Academic Council, 1981-82; 1991-92; Ad Hoc Panels on Promotions and Tenure, 1979, 1980; Chancellor's Task Force on Cooperative Programs, 1979-80; Chairman, Faculty Compensation Committee, 1982-83; Chairman, Provost's Ad Hoc Committee on Creating a Department of Statistics, 1983-84; Chairman,
Sociology Department Chairman Search Committee, 1984-85; Chancellor's Ad Hoc Committee on Changing the Duke Retirement Plan, 1983; Trustee Committee on Academic Affairs, 1980-82; Trustee Committee on Business and Finance, 1982-88; Chancellor's Ad Hoc Committee to Review Procedures for Appointment in the English Department, 1985; Executive Vice-President's Ad Hoc Committee on Mutual Funds and New Retirement Options, 1985-87; Chairman, University Scholar-Teacher of the Year Selection Committee, 1984-86, 1995-97. Provost's Advisory Committee on Appointments, Promotion, and Tenure, 1987-91; President's Advisory Committee on Resources, 1991-92; Provost Search Committee, 1991-92; Provost's Academic Priorities Committee, 1991-92; Long Range Planning Steering Committee, 1992-94; Chief Financial Officer Search Committee, 1994; Work Process Redesign Task Force, 1994-95; Information Technology Advisory Council, 1996-97; Recreation Facilities Advisory Committee, 1998-99; Chair, President's Advisory Committee On Resources, 1997-1999.
- Paul Althaus "Fiscal and Monetary Policy in Economic Growth" (1972)
- Dennis Karnovsky "The Effect of Market Expectations on Employment, Wages, and
Price" (1973) (St. Louis Federal Reserve Bank)
- David Roberts "Keynes and the System of Keynesians" (1974) (Rutgers College)
- Stephen Happel "The Economics of the Timing and Spacing of Births" (1976) (Arizona
- Randall Bausor "A General Equilibrium Model of Perceptions, Expectations, Strategies,
and Outcomes" (1978) (University of Massachusetts at Amherst)
- Arjo Klamer "Levels of Discourse in the New Classical Economics" (1981) (Wellesley
- Vereda King "Admission Decisions of a Non-Selective Institution: An Economic
Analysis" (1984) (N.C. A&T University)
- Robin Cantor "The Canadian Nuclear Power Industry: An Economic Analysis" (1984)
(Oak Ridge National Laboratories)
- David Hoaas "The Political Economy of Tax-Based Incomes Policies" (1986) (Centenary
- Gregory Lilly "On The Compatibility of Markets, Greed, and Order" (1988) (Wake
- Jane Rossetti "Deconstructing Economic Texts" (1990) (Occidental University)
- Publications (listed separately)
Last modified: 2016/06/25