- Office Hours:
- Currently on leave
- Ph.D. in Classical Archaeology, Princeton University, 1987
- M.A. in Classical Archaeology, Princeton University, 1983
- B.A. in Classical Archaeology, Wellesley College, 1980
- Senior Associate Member, 1989, 1992 American School of Classical Studies, 1998
- Student Associate Member, American School of Classical Studies, 1985
- Zertifikat, Deutsch als Fremdsprache, Goethe Institut, Rothenburg o.d.Tauber, 1984
- 12 College Exchange (Foreign Study in Europe), Dartmouth College, 1979
Excavation and Archaeological Experience
- Morgantina Project, (with Malcolm Bell, University of Virginia), Co-Director, Sicily, 1990 to present
- Princeton Cyprus Expedition, (Princeton University), Polis Chrysochou, Cyprus, 1983
- Agora Excavations, (American School of Classical Studies), Athens, Greece, 1982
- Halieis Excavations, (Indiana University), Study Assistant, Porto Cheli, Greece, 1980
- Halieis Excavations, (Indiana University), Trenchmaster, Porto Cheli, Greece, 1979
Mediterranean archaeology, especially the late Bronze and Iron Ages; ceramic studies; the archaeology of identity.
Representative Publications (More Publications)
- Co-Director, Morgantina Excavations
Vice President for Research & Academic Affairs, Archaeological Institute of America
- An Archaeology of Ancestors: Greek Tomb and Hero Cult. Rowman & Littlefield,
- "Origins, culture, and identity in classical antiquity." Worlds Elide. Edited
by P. Euben, K Bassi. Lexington Press (2010): 4-17.
- "The Western Mediterranean." The Blackwell Companion to the Ancient World (Basil Blackwell). Edited
by K. Raaflaub, H. van Wees. Blackwell (2009): 314-329.
- "(Re) Defining Ethnicity: Culture, Material Culture, and Identity." Visual Culture and Social Identity in the Ancient Mediterranean. Edited
by T. Hodos, S. Hales. Cambridge University Press (2009): 32-53.
- "Colonization: Greece on the Move." in The Cambridge Companion to Archaic Greece. Edited
by H.A. Shapiro. Cambridge University Press (2007): 201-224.
- "Elite mobility in the west." in Pindar's Poetry, Patrons and Festivals: from Archaic Greece to the Roman Empire. Edited
by S. Hornblower, C. Morgan. Oxford University Press (2006): 265-285.
- "Religion, basileis, and heroes." From Wanax to Basileus. Edited
by I. Lemos, I. Deger-Jalkotzy. University of Edinburgh Press (2006): 381-395.
- "Votive Offerings as Sacrificial Behavior." in Chthonic and Olympian Sacrifice. Edited
by R. Hagg, B. Alroth. Stockholm (2005): 99-112.
- "Excavating Colonization." in Ancient Colonizations: Analogy, Similarity and Difference. Edited
by H. Hurst, S, Owen. Duckworth (2005): 97-113.