||Professor of Classical Studies and History and Chair
Teaching (Fall 2016):
- Office Hours:
- W 11:30-12:30 & Tu 4-5:30pm or by appointment
- Latin 203.01, Intermediate latin
- Carr 125, MWF 10:20 AM-11:10 AM
- Ph.D. University of Michigan at Ann Arbor, 1980
- Ph.D. in Classical Studies, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, 1980
- M.A. University of Michigan at Ann Arbor, 1975
- B.A. Stanford University, 1973
- Michigan Assoc., American Academy, Rome, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, 1977
- M.A. in Classical Studies, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, 1975
- Laurea, voto ottimo, in Etruscologiá Universitá per Stranieri, Perugia, Italy, 1974
- Certificato in Corso Medio di Italiano, Universitá per Stranieri, Perugia, Italy, 1973
Roman history, especially the social and political history of the empire; topography of Rome; Rome's northern frontiers; Roman women; Latin historiography Representative Publications (More Publications)
- with MT Boatwright, DJ Gargola, N Lenski and RJA Talbert. The Romans From Village to Empire: A History of Rome from Earliest Times to the End of the Western Empire. Oxford University Press,
2011: 624 pages. (2nd, expanded edition. Czech translation
published 12/12) [available here] [abs]
- MT Boatwright. "Agrippa’s Building Inscriptions." Zeitschrift für Papyrologie und Epigraphik vol. 189 (2014): 255-264. [abs]
- MT Boatwright. "Women and Gender in the Forum Romanum." Transactions of the American Philological Association vol. 141 no. 1, (2011): 105-141. [abs]
- MT Boatwright. "The Elogia of the Volusii Saturnini at Lucus Feroniae, and the Education of their Domestic Service." manualL’écriture dans la maison romaine. Edited
by M Corbier and J-P Guilhembet. de Boccard (2012): 99-112. [available here]
- MT Boatwright. "Antonine Rome: Security in the Homeland." manualThe Emperor and Rome: Space, Representation and Ritual. Edited
by BC Ewald and CF Norena. Cambridge University Press (2010): 169-197.
- MT Boatwright. Hadrian and the Cities of the Roman Empire. Princeton University Press,
- MT Boatwright. "The City Gate of Plancia Magna in Perge." manualRoman Art in Context: An Anthology. Edited
by ED Ambra. Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice Hall (1993): 189-207.
- MT Boatwright. Hadrian and the City of Rome. Princeton University Press,
- MT Boatwright. "Imperial Women of the Early Second Century A.C." American Journal of Philology vol. 112 no. 4, (1991): 513-40. [Gateway.cgi], [doi]
- MT Boatwright. "Trajan Outside Rome: Buildings and Sculptural Commissions in Italian and Provincial Cities." manualSage and Emperor. Edited
by P Stadter and LVD Stockt. Leuven: Leuven University Press (2003): 259-277.
- MT Boatwright. "Faustina the Younger, Mater Castrorum." manual. Edited
by R Frei-Stolba and A Biel. (2003): 249-68.
- MT Boatwright. "Tacitus and the Final Rites of Agrippina: Annals 14, 9." manualStudies in Latin Literature and Roman History. Edited
by C Deroux. Collection Latomus vol. XIV (2008): 375-93.
- MT Boatwright, 'Res bene gestae’: Ricerche di storia urbana su Roma antica in onore di Eva Margareta Steinby. manual
- MT Boatwright. "Just Window Dressing? Imperial Women as Architectural Sculpture." manualI Claudia II. Edited
by DEE Kleiner and SB Matheson. University of Texas Press (2000): 61-75.
- with co-editor H. B. Evans. The Shapes of City Life in Rome and Pompeii. edited by Boatwright, MT; Evans, HB Caratzas,