||Professor of Ancient History
||(919) 684-3189, (919) 681-4292
Teaching (Spring 2014):
- Office Hours:
- MF 2:30-3:10pm, & by appt
- Clst 284.01, Roman history
- Perkins 2-071, WF 01:25 PM-02:40 PM
- Ph.D. in Classical Studies, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, 1980
- B.A. in Classical Studies, Stanford University, 1973
- Michigan Assoc., American Academy, Rome, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, 1977
- M.A. in Classical Studies, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, 1975
- Laurea, voto ottimo, in Etruscologiá Universitá per Stranieri, Perugia, Italy, 1974
- Certificato in Corso Medio di Italiano, Universitá per Stranieri, Perugia, Italy, 1973
Roman history, especially the social and political history of the empire; topography of Rome; Rome's northern frontiers; Roman women; Latin historiography Representative Publications (More Publications)
- Peoples of the Roman World. Introduction to Roman Civilization Cambridge University Press,
2012. [available here] [abs]
- with Daniel J. Gargola, Noel Lenski and Richard J. A. Talbert. The Romans From Village to Empire: A History of Rome from Earliest Times to the End of the Western Empire. Oxford University Press,
2011. (2nd, expanded edition. Czech translation
published 12/12) [available here] [abs]
- "The Elogia of the Volusii Saturnini at Lucus Feroniae, and the Education of their Domestic Service." L'écriture dans la maison romaine. Edited
by M. Corbier and J.-P. Guilhembet. de Boccard (2012): 99-112. [available here]
- "Women and Gender in the Forum Romanum." Transactions of the American Philological Association vol. 141 (2011): 107-43.
- "Antonine Rome: Security in the Homeland." The Emperor and Rome: Space, Representation and Ritual. Edited
by Bjoern C. Ewald and Carlos F. Norena. New York: Cambridge University Press (2010): 169-97.
- Hadrian and the Cities of the Roman Empire. Princeton University Press,
- "Children and Parents on the Tombstones of Pannonia." The Roman Family in the Empire: Rome, Italy and Beyond. Edited
by M. George. Oxford (2005): 287-318.
- "The City Gate of Plancia Magna in Perge." Roman Art in Context: An Anthology. Edited
by E. D'Ambra. Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice Hall (1993): 189-207.
- "Imperial Women of the Early Second Century A.C." American Journal of Philology vol. 112 (1991): 513-40.
- Hadrian and the City of Rome. Princeton University Press,
- "Trajan Outside Rome: Buildings and Sculptural Commissions in Italian and Provincial Cities." Sage and Emperor. Edited
by P. Stadter and L. Van der Stockt. Leuven: Leuven University Press (2003): 259-77.
- "Faustina the Younger, Mater Castrorum." Etude de Lettres. Edited
by R. Frei-Stolba and A. Biel. (2003): 249-68.
- "Tacitus and the Final Rites of Agrippina: Annals 14, 9." Studies in Latin Literature and Roman History. Edited
by C. Deroux. Collection Latomus vol. XIV (2008): 375-93.
- "Hadrian in London". American Journal of Archaeology 113:1
(2009) 121-28. (Museum review of exhibit "Hadrian: Empire and
Conflict," at the British Museum.) [abs]
- Review of A. Leone et al., 'Res bene gestae': Ricerche di storia urbana su Roma antica in onore di Eva Margareta Steinby. Bryn Mawr Classical Review
- "Just Window Dressing? Imperial Women as Architectural Sculpture." I Claudia II. Edited
by D.E.E. Kleiner and S.B. Matheson. Austin: University of Texas Press (2000): 61-75.
- with co-editor H. B. Evans. The Shapes of City Life in Rome and Pompeii. Caratzas,