Teaching (Fall 2019):
- Office Hours:
W 3:45-5pm, TH 1-2pm, & by appt.
Office Location: Allen 231
- Clst 89s.02, First-year seminar (top)
- Social sciences 107, TuTh 03:05 PM-04:20 PM
- Ph.D. University of Michigan at Ann Arbor, 1980
- Ph.D. in Classical Studies, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, 1980
- M.A. University of Michigan at Ann Arbor, 1975
- B.A. Stanford University, 1973
- Michigan Assoc., American Academy, Rome, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, 1977
- M.A. in Classical Studies, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, 1975
- Laurea, voto ottimo, in Etruscologiá Universitá per Stranieri, Perugia, Italy, 1974
- Certificato in Corso Medio di Italiano, Universitá per Stranieri, Perugia, Italy, 1973
Roman history, especially the social and political history of the empire; topography of Rome; Rome's northern frontiers; Roman women; Latin historiography Representative Publications (More Publications)
- with Boatwright, MT; Gargola, DJ; Lenski, N; Talbert, RJA. The Romans From Village to Empire: A History of Rome from Earliest Times to the End of the Western Empire. Oxford University Press,
2011: 624 pages. (2nd, expanded edition. Czech translation
published 12/12) [available here] [abs]
- Boatwright, MT. "Agrippa’s Building Inscriptions." Zeitschrift FüR Papyrologie Und Epigraphik vol. 189 (2014): 255-264. [abs]
- Boatwright, MT. "Women and Gender in the Forum Romanum." Transactions of the American Philological Association vol. 141 no. 1, Johns Hopkins University Press (2011): 105-141. [doi] [abs]
- Boatwright, MT. "The Elogia of the Volusii Saturnini at Lucus Feroniae, and the Education of their Domestic Service." L’écriture dans la maison romaine. Edited
by Corbier, M; Guilhembet, J-P. de Boccard (2012): 99-112. [available here]
- Boatwright, MT. "Antonine Rome: Security in the Homeland." The Emperor and Rome: Space, Representation and Ritual. Edited
by Ewald, BC; Norena, CF. Cambridge University Press (2010): 169-197.
- Boatwright, MT. Hadrian and the Cities of the Roman Empire. Princeton University Press,
- Boatwright, MT. "The City Gate of Plancia Magna in Perge." Roman Art in Context: An Anthology. Edited
by Ambra, ED. Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice-Hall (1993): 189-207.
- Boatwright, MT. Hadrian and the City of Rome. Princeton University Press,
- Boatwright, MT. "Imperial Women of the Early Second Century A.C." American Journal of Philology vol. 112 no. 4, (1991): 513-40. [Gateway.cgi], [doi]
- Boatwright, MT. "Trajan Outside Rome: Buildings and Sculptural Commissions in Italian and Provincial Cities." Sage and Emperor. Edited
by Stadter, P; Stockt, LVD. Leuven: Leuven University Press (2003): 259-277.
- Boatwright, MT. "Faustina the Younger, Mater Castrorum." . Edited
by Frei-Stolba, R; Biel, A. (2003): 249-68.
- Boatwright, MT. "Tacitus and the Final Rites of Agrippina: Annals 14, 9." Studies in Latin Literature and Roman History. Edited
by Deroux, C. Collection Latomus vol. XIV (2008): 375-93.
- Boatwright, MT, 'Res bene gestae’: Ricerche di storia urbana su Roma antica in onore di Eva Margareta Steinby.
- Boatwright, MT. "Just Window Dressing? Imperial Women as Architectural Sculpture." I Claudia II. Edited
by Kleiner, DEE; Matheson, SB. University of Texas Press (2000): 61-75.