Jack BookmanClick here for a printer-ready version, or
download as a PDF file.
|Box 90320, Durham, NC 27708-0320
|| (919) 660-2823 (office)
Awards and Fellowships
Senior Fellow, Center for Teaching, Learning and Writing, Duke University, 2000-2001
Carnegie Scholar, The Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching, 2000-2002
Nominated for the Duke Alumni Distinguished Teaching Award: 1984-85; 1985- 86; 1987- 88
Spencer Post-Doctoral Fellowship 1995-1997
- Major Grant Support
The Impact of Calculus Reform on Long Term Performance NSF REC-9912017
- Some Mathematical Thoughts and Questions About Suduko, Jacksonville University, Jacksonville, FL, March 02, 2006
- Learning in Interactive Technological Environments, Jacksonville University Jacksonville, FL, 16 March 2001
- How People Learn Mathematics, Jacksonville University Jacksonville, FL, 15 March 2001
- Evaluating Calculus Reform at Duke University, Appalachian State University, Boone, NC, 29 March 1996
- Mathematics Association of America
North Carolina Council of Teachers of Mathematics
Peer-reviewed journal articles published
- Bookman, J. "Why �False Implies False" is True - a Discovery Explanation." The Mathematics Teacher 71 (November 1978): 675-676. (1978).
- Bookman, J; Smith, DA. "A Review of �The Electronic Study Guide: Precalculus Algebra." College Mathematics Journal, June 1985 (December, 2014).
- Bookman, J. "NSF Workshop on Assessment in Calculus Curriculum Reform Efforts." UME Trends, October, 1992 (October, 1992).
- Bookman, J. "Evaluation of Calculus Reform at Duke University." UME Trends, March 1992 (March 1992).
- Bookman, J; Friedman, C. "A Comparison of the Problem Solving Performance of Students in Lab Based and Traditional Calculus." in Dubinsky, E., Schoenfeld, A.H., Kaput, J. (Ed) Research in Collegiate Mathematics Education I. , Providence, RI: American Mathematical Society, 1994, pp. 101-116. (1994).
- Smith, D; Bookman, J. "Assessment in a Technological Age." Proceedings of the Seventh Annual International Conference on Technology in Collegiate Mathematics (1996) Addison-Wesley 433-437 (1996).
- Bookman, J. "There’s Glory For You! - Why We Define Mathematical Terms The Way We Do." Centroid, Spring 1996, 36-39 (December, 2014).
- Bookman, J; Friedman, C. "Student Attitudes and Calculus Reform." School Science and Mathematics, March 1998: 117-122 (December, 2014).
- Bookman, J; Friedman, C. "The Evaluation of Project CALC at Duke University 1989 - 1994." in B. Gold, S. Keith, W. Marion, eds., Assessment Practices in Undergraduate Mathematics, MAA Notes # 49, Washington DC: Mathematical Association of America, 1999: pp. 253-256. (December, 2014).
- Bookman, J. "Program Evaluation and Undergraduate Mathematics Renewal: The impact of calculus reform on student performance in subsequent courses." in Ganter, S. (Ed.) Calculus Renewal: Issues for Undergraduate Mathematics Education in the Next Decade, New York, NY: Plenum Press, 2000: pp.91 - 102 (December, 2014).
- Bookman, J. "Duke University’s Mathematics Department Outreach to Secondary Mathematics Teachers: Problems, Potential, and Pitfalls." Conference proceedings from the Invitational Conference on K-12 Outreach from University Science Departments, Raleigh, NC: North Carolina State University, 2000: pp.143 - 145 (December, 2014).
- Bookman, J. "Learning Mathematics Meaningfully � A Challenge to College Faculty." Proceedings of First Annual Charleston Connections: Innovations in Higher Education Conference, Charleston, SC: The Citadel, 2001: pp.92 - 100 (December, 2014).
- Lardner, ED; Bookman, J. "Lessons Learned in Interdisciplinary Professional Development Designed to Promote the Teaching of Quantitative Literacy." Journal of Faculty Development 27.2 (May, 2013).
- Varsavsky, C; Waldock, J; Harding, A; Jack Bookman, LS; Luaces, VM. "Undergraduate mathematics around the world." Delta Communications, conference proceedings of the Volcanic Delta ’11, the eighth Delta conference on the teaching and learning of undergraduate mathematics and statistics (2011).
- Turner, DA; Narayan, AP; Whicker, SA; Bookman, J; McGann, KA. "Do pediatric residents prefer interactive learning? Educational challenges in the duty hours era.." Medical Teacher (Informa) 33.6 (2011): 494-496. , [doi]
- Alison Sweeney, MD; Alyssa Stephany, MD; Shari Whicker, M; Jack Bookman, P; David A Turner, MD. ""Resident Educators" - Senior Pediatric Residents as Teachers for an Innovative Multidisciplinary Mock Code Curriculum." Journal of Graduate Medical Education 3.2 (2011): 188-195.
- Bookman, J; Ganter, SL; Morgan, R. "Developing Assessment Methodologies for Quantitative Literacy: A Formative Study." American Mathematical Monthly 115.10 (December, 2008): 911-929. [Gateway.cgi]
- Bookman, J; Malone, D. "Negotiating Roles and Meaning While Learning Mathematics in Interactive Technology-Rich Environments." The Journal of the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning 6.2 (October, 2006): 41-65.
- Bookman, J; Malone, D. "The Nature of Learning in Interactive Technological Environments: A Proposal for a Research Agenda Based on Grounded Theory." Research in Collegiate Mathematics Education (2003).
- Winter, D; Lemons, P; Bookman, J; Hoese, W. "Novice Instructors and Student-Centered Instruction: Identifying and Addressing Obstacles to Learning in the College Science Laboratory." Journal of Scholarship of Teaching and Learning 2.1 (2001).
- Bookman, J; Blake, L. "SEVEN YEARS OF PROJECT CALC AT DUKE UNIVERSITY APPROACHING STEADY STATE?*." PRIMUS 6.3 (September 1996): 221-234. [doi]
- Bookman, J. "AN EXPERT NOVICE STUDY OF METACOGNITIVE BEHAVIOR IN FOUR TYPES OF MATHEMATICS PROBLEMS*." PRIMUS 3.3 (January, 1993): 284-314. [doi]
- BOOKMAN, J; SMITH, D. "THE ELECTRONIC STUDY GUIDE - PRE-CALCULUS ALGEBRA." 16.3 (1985): 218-221. [doi]
- Narayan, AP; Whicker, SA; Staples, B; Bookman, J; Bartlett, K; McGann, KA. "The Clinical Skills Fair - An Innovative Curriculum Evaluation Tool." Journal of Graduate Medical Education (April 19, 2013).
- Bookman, ; Bar-On, R; Cooke, B; Schott, S. "(Re)discovering SoTL through a Fundamental Challenge: Helping Students Transition to College Calculus." MAA Notes: Guide to the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning in Mathematics (October, 2012).
Last modified: 2017/04/29