Jack BookmanClick here for a printer-ready version, or
download as a PDF file.
|Box 90320, Durham, NC 27708-0320
Awards and Fellowships
Senior Fellow, Center for Teaching, Learning and Writing, Duke University, 2000-2001
Carnegie Scholar, The Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching, 2000-2002
Nominated for the Duke Alumni Distinguished Teaching Award: 1984-85; 1985- 86; 1987- 88
Spencer Post-Doctoral Fellowship 1995-1997
- Major Grant Support
The Impact of Calculus Reform on Long Term Performance NSF REC-9912017
- Some Mathematical Thoughts and Questions About Suduko, Jacksonville University, Jacksonville, FL, March 02, 2006
- Learning in Interactive Technological Environments, Jacksonville University Jacksonville, FL, 16 March 2001
- How People Learn Mathematics, Jacksonville University Jacksonville, FL, 15 March 2001
- Evaluating Calculus Reform at Duke University, Appalachian State University, Boone, NC, 29 March 1996
- Mathematics Association of America
North Carolina Council of Teachers of Mathematics
Peer-reviewed journal articles published
- Emily Lardner and Jack Bookman. "Lessons Learned in Interdisciplinary Professional Development Designed to Promote the Teaching of Quantitative Literacy." Journal of Faculty Development 27.2 (May, 2013).
- Alison Sweeney, Alyssa Stephany, Shari Whicker, Jack Bookman, and David A Turner. ""Resident Educators" - Senior Pediatric Residents as Teachers for an Innovative Multidisciplinary Mock Code Curriculum." Journal of Graduate Medical Education 3.2 (2011): 188-195.
- Cristina Varsavsky , Jeff Waldock, Ansie Harding, Jack Bookman, Louise Sheryn, Victor Martinez Luaces. "Undergraduate mathematics around the world." Delta Communications, conference proceedings of the Volcanic Delta '11, the eighth Delta conference on the teaching and learning of undergraduate mathematics and statistics (2011).
- Turner, David A; Narayan, Aditee P; Whicker, Shari A; Bookman, Jack; McGann, Kathleen A. "Do Pediatric Residents Prefer Interactive Learning? – Educational Challenges in the Duty Hours Era." Medical Teacher (2010).
- Jack Bookman, Susan Ganter and Rick Morgan. "Developing Assessment Methodologies for Quantitative Literacy - A Formative Study." American Mathematical Monthly (December, 2008).
- Jack Bookman and David Malone. "Negotiating Roles and Meaning While Learning Mathematics in Interactive Technology-Rich Environments." The Journal of the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning 6.2 (October, 2006): 41-65.
- Jack Bookman and David Malone. "The Nature of Learning in Interactive Technological Environments - A Proposal for a Research Agenda Based on Grounded Theory." Research in Collegiate Mathematics Education V., Providence, RI: American Mathematical Society. (2003).
- Dale Winter , Paula Lemons , Jack Bookman and William Hoese. "Novice Instructors and Student-Centered Instruction: Identifying and Addressing Obstacles to Learning in the College Science Laboratory." Journal of Scholarship of Teaching and Learning 2.1 (2001).
- Jack Bookman. "Learning Mathematics Meaningfully – A Challenge to College Faculty." Proceedings of First Annual Charleston Connections: Innovations in Higher Education Conference, Charleston, SC: The Citadel, 2001: pp.92 - 100 ().
- Jack Bookman. "Duke University's Mathematics Department Outreach to Secondary Mathematics Teachers: Problems, Potential, and Pitfalls." Conference proceedings from the Invitational Conference on K-12 Outreach from University Science Departments, Raleigh, NC: North Carolina State University, 2000: pp.143 - 145 ().
- Jack Bookman. "Program Evaluation and Undergraduate Mathematics Renewal: The impact of calculus reform on student performance in subsequent courses." in Ganter, S. (Ed.) Calculus Renewal: Issues for Undergraduate Mathematics Education in the Next Decade, New York, NY: Plenum Press, 2000: pp.91 - 102 ().
- Jack Bookman and Charles Friedman. "The Evaluation of Project CALC at Duke University 1989 - 1994." in B. Gold, S. Keith, W. Marion, eds., Assessment Practices in Undergraduate Mathematics, MAA Notes # 49, Washington DC: Mathematical Association of America, 1999: pp. 253-256. ().
- Jack Bookman and Charles Friedman. "Student Attitudes and Calculus Reform." School Science and Mathematics, March 1998: 117-122 ().
- Jack Bookman. "There's Glory For You! - Why We Define Mathematical Terms The Way We Do." Centroid, Spring 1996, 36-39 ().
- Jack Bookman and Lewis Blake. "Seven Years of Project CALC at Duke University - Approaching a Steady State?." PRIMUS, September 1996: 221 - 234 ().
- David Smith and Jack Bookman,. "Assessment in a Technological Age." Proceedings of the Seventh Annual International Conference on Technology in Collegiate Mathematics (1996) Addison-Wesley 433-437 ().
- Jack Bookman and Charles Friedman. "A Comparison of the Problem Solving Performance of Students in Lab Based and Traditional Calculus." in Dubinsky, E., Schoenfeld, A.H., Kaput, J. (Ed) Research in Collegiate Mathematics Education I. , Providence, RI: American Mathematical Society, 1994, pp. 101-116. ().
- Jack Bookman. "An Expert Novice Study of Metacognitive Behavior in Four Types of Mathematics Problems." PRIMUS, September 1993: 284-313. ().
- Jack Bookman. "Evaluation of Calculus Reform at Duke University." UME Trends, March 1992 ().
- Jack Bookman. "NSF Workshop on Assessment in Calculus Curriculum Reform Efforts." UME Trends, October, 1992 ().
- Jack Bookman and David A. Smith. "A Review of “The Electronic Study Guide: Precalculus Algebra." College Mathematics Journal, June 1985 ().
- Jack Bookman. "Why “False Implies False" is True - a Discovery Explanation." The Mathematics Teacher 71 (November 1978): 675-676. ().
- Narayan, Aditee Pradhan; Whicker, Shari A; Staples, Betty; Bookman, Jack; Bartlett, Kathleen; McGann, Kathleen A. "The Clinical Skills Fair - An Innovative Curriculum Evaluation Tool." Journal of Graduate Medical Education (April 19, 2013).
- Rann Bar-On, Jack Bookman, Benjamin Cooke, Donna Hall, and Sarah Schott. "(Re)discovering SoTL Through a Fundamental Challenge: Helping Students Transition to College Calculus." MAA Notes (2013).
Last modified: 2015/11/26