Jack BookmanClick here for a printer-ready version, or
download as a PDF file.
|Box 90320, Durham, NC 27708-0320
|| (919) 660-2823 (office)
Awards and Fellowships
Senior Fellow, Center for Teaching, Learning and Writing, Duke University, 2000-2001
Carnegie Scholar, The Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching, 2000-2002
Nominated for the Duke Alumni Distinguished Teaching Award: 1984-85; 1985- 86; 1987- 88
Spencer Post-Doctoral Fellowship 1995-1997
- Major Grant Support
The Impact of Calculus Reform on Long Term Performance NSF REC-9912017
- Some Mathematical Thoughts and Questions About Suduko, Jacksonville University, Jacksonville, FL, March 02, 2006
- Learning in Interactive Technological Environments, Jacksonville University Jacksonville, FL, 16 March 2001
- How People Learn Mathematics, Jacksonville University Jacksonville, FL, 15 March 2001
- Evaluating Calculus Reform at Duke University, Appalachian State University, Boone, NC, 29 March 1996
- Mathematics Association of America
North Carolina Council of Teachers of Mathematics
Peer-reviewed journal articles published
- J Bookman. "Why �False Implies False" is True - a Discovery Explanation." The Mathematics Teacher 71 (November 1978): 675-676. (December, 2014).
- J Bookman and DA Smith. "A Review of �The Electronic Study Guide: Precalculus Algebra." College Mathematics Journal, June 1985 (December, 2014).
- J Bookman. "NSF Workshop on Assessment in Calculus Curriculum Reform Efforts." UME Trends, October, 1992 (December, 2014).
- J Bookman. "Evaluation of Calculus Reform at Duke University." UME Trends, March 1992 (December, 2014).
- J Bookman and C Friedman. "A Comparison of the Problem Solving Performance of Students in Lab Based and Traditional Calculus." in Dubinsky, E., Schoenfeld, A.H., Kaput, J. (Ed) Research in Collegiate Mathematics Education I. , Providence, RI: American Mathematical Society, 1994, pp. 101-116. (December, 2014).
- D Smith and J Bookman. "Assessment in a Technological Age." Proceedings of the Seventh Annual International Conference on Technology in Collegiate Mathematics (1996) Addison-Wesley 433-437 (December, 2014).
- J Bookman and L Blake. "Seven Years of Project CALC at Duke University - Approaching a Steady State?." PRIMUS, September 1996: 221 - 234 (December, 2014).
- J Bookman. "There’s Glory For You! - Why We Define Mathematical Terms The Way We Do." Centroid, Spring 1996, 36-39 (December, 2014).
- J Bookman and C Friedman. "Student Attitudes and Calculus Reform." School Science and Mathematics, March 1998: 117-122 (December, 2014).
- J Bookman and C Friedman. "The Evaluation of Project CALC at Duke University 1989 - 1994." in B. Gold, S. Keith, W. Marion, eds., Assessment Practices in Undergraduate Mathematics, MAA Notes # 49, Washington DC: Mathematical Association of America, 1999: pp. 253-256. (December, 2014).
- J Bookman. "Program Evaluation and Undergraduate Mathematics Renewal: The impact of calculus reform on student performance in subsequent courses." in Ganter, S. (Ed.) Calculus Renewal: Issues for Undergraduate Mathematics Education in the Next Decade, New York, NY: Plenum Press, 2000: pp.91 - 102 (December, 2014).
- J Bookman. "Duke University’s Mathematics Department Outreach to Secondary Mathematics Teachers: Problems, Potential, and Pitfalls." Conference proceedings from the Invitational Conference on K-12 Outreach from University Science Departments, Raleigh, NC: North Carolina State University, 2000: pp.143 - 145 (December, 2014).
- J Bookman. "Learning Mathematics Meaningfully � A Challenge to College Faculty." Proceedings of First Annual Charleston Connections: Innovations in Higher Education Conference, Charleston, SC: The Citadel, 2001: pp.92 - 100 (December, 2014).
- ED Lardner and J Bookman. "Lessons Learned in Interdisciplinary Professional Development Designed to Promote the Teaching of Quantitative Literacy." Journal of Faculty Development 27.2 (May, 2013).
- C Varsavsky, J Waldock, A Harding, LS Jack Bookman and VM Luaces. "Undergraduate mathematics around the world." Delta Communications, conference proceedings of the Volcanic Delta ’11, the eighth Delta conference on the teaching and learning of undergraduate mathematics and statistics (2011).
- DA Turner, AP Narayan, SA Whicker, J Bookman and KA McGann. "Do pediatric residents prefer interactive learning? Educational challenges in the duty hours era.." Med Teach 33.6 (2011): 494-496. , [doi]
- MD Alison Sweeney, MD Alyssa Stephany, M Shari Whicker, P Jack Bookman and MD David A Turner. ""Resident Educators" - Senior Pediatric Residents as Teachers for an Innovative Multidisciplinary Mock Code Curriculum." Journal of Graduate Medical Education 3.2 (2011): 188-195.
- J Bookman, SL Ganter and R Morgan. "Developing Assessment Methodologies for Quantitative Literacy: A Formative Study." AMERICAN MATHEMATICAL MONTHLY 115.10 (December, 2008): 911-929. [Gateway.cgi]
- J Bookman and D Malone. "Negotiating Roles and Meaning While Learning Mathematics in Interactive Technology-Rich Environments." The Journal of the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning 6.2 (October, 2006): 41-65.
- J Bookman and D Malone. "The Nature of Learning in Interactive Technological Environments: A Proposal for a Research Agenda Based on Grounded Theory." Research in Collegiate Mathematics Education (2003).
- D Winter, P Lemons, J Bookman and W Hoese. "Novice Instructors and Student-Centered Instruction: Identifying and Addressing Obstacles to Learning in the College Science Laboratory." Journal of Scholarship of Teaching and Learning 2.1 (2001).
- J Bookman. "AN EXPERT NOVICE STUDY OF METACOGNITIVE BEHAVIOR IN FOUR TYPES OF MATHEMATICS PROBLEMS*." PRIMUS 3.3 (January, 1993): 284-314. [doi]
- AP Narayan, SA Whicker, B Staples, J Bookman, K Bartlett and KA McGann. "The Clinical Skills Fair - An Innovative Curriculum Evaluation Tool." Journal of Graduate Medical Education (April 19, 2013).
- Bookman, R Bar-On, B Cooke and S Schott. "(Re)discovering SoTL through a Fundamental Challenge: Helping Students Transition to College Calculus." MAA Notes: Guide to the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning in Mathematics (October, 2012).
Last modified: 2016/02/13