Jack BookmanClick here for a printer-ready version, or
download as a PDF file.
|Box 90320, Durham, NC 27708-0320
|| (919) 660-2823 (office)
Awards and Fellowships
Senior Fellow, Center for Teaching, Learning and Writing, Duke University, 2000-2001
Carnegie Scholar, The Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching, 2000-2002
Nominated for the Duke Alumni Distinguished Teaching Award: 1984-85; 1985- 86; 1987- 88
Spencer Post-Doctoral Fellowship 1995-1997
- Major Grant Support
The Impact of Calculus Reform on Long Term Performance NSF REC-9912017
- Some Mathematical Thoughts and Questions About Suduko, Jacksonville University, Jacksonville, FL, March 02, 2006
- Learning in Interactive Technological Environments, Jacksonville University Jacksonville, FL, 16 March 2001
- How People Learn Mathematics, Jacksonville University Jacksonville, FL, 15 March 2001
- Evaluating Calculus Reform at Duke University, Appalachian State University, Boone, NC, 29 March 1996
- Mathematics Association of America
North Carolina Council of Teachers of Mathematics
Peer-reviewed journal articles published
- Lardner, ED; Bookman, J. "Lessons Learned in Interdisciplinary Professional Development Designed to Promote the Teaching of Quantitative Literacy." Journal of Faculty Development 27.2 (May, 2013).
- Varsavsky, C; Waldock, J; Harding, A; Jack Bookman, LS; Luaces, VM. "Undergraduate mathematics around the world." Delta Communications, conference proceedings of the Volcanic Delta ’11, the eighth Delta conference on the teaching and learning of undergraduate mathematics and statistics (2011).
- Turner, DA; Narayan, AP; Whicker, SA; Bookman, J; McGann, KA. "Do pediatric residents prefer interactive learning? Educational challenges in the duty hours era.." Medical Teacher (Informa) 33.6 (2011): 494-496. , [doi]
- Alison Sweeney, MD; Alyssa Stephany, MD; Shari Whicker, M; Jack Bookman, P; David A Turner, MD. ""Resident Educators" - Senior Pediatric Residents as Teachers for an Innovative Multidisciplinary Mock Code Curriculum." Journal of Graduate Medical Education 3.2 (2011): 188-195.
- Bookman, J; Ganter, SL; Morgan, R. "Developing Assessment Methodologies for Quantitative Literacy: A Formative Study." American Mathematical Monthly 115.10 (December, 2008): 911-929. [Gateway.cgi]
- Bookman, J; Malone, D. "Negotiating Roles and Meaning While Learning Mathematics in Interactive Technology-Rich Environments." The Journal of the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning 6.2 (October, 2006): 41-65.
- Bookman, J; Malone, D. "The Nature of Learning in Interactive Technological Environments: A Proposal for a Research Agenda Based on Grounded Theory." Research in Collegiate Mathematics Education (2003).
- Winter, D; Lemons, P; Bookman, J; Hoese, W. "Novice Instructors and Student-Centered Instruction: Identifying and Addressing Obstacles to Learning in the College Science Laboratory." Journal of Scholarship of Teaching and Learning 2.1 (2001).
- Bookman, J; Blake, L. "SEVEN YEARS OF PROJECT CALC AT DUKE UNIVERSITY APPROACHING STEADY STATE?*." PRIMUS 6.3 (September 1996): 221-234. [doi]
- Bookman, J. "AN EXPERT NOVICE STUDY OF METACOGNITIVE BEHAVIOR IN FOUR TYPES OF MATHEMATICS PROBLEMS*." PRIMUS 3.3 (January, 1993): 284-314. [doi]
- BOOKMAN, J; SMITH, D. "THE ELECTRONIC STUDY GUIDE - PRE-CALCULUS ALGEBRA." 16.3 (1985): 218-221. [doi]
- Narayan, AP; Whicker, SA; Staples, B; Bookman, J; Bartlett, K; McGann, KA. "The Clinical Skills Fair - An Innovative Curriculum Evaluation Tool." Journal of Graduate Medical Education (April 19, 2013).
- Bookman, ; Bar-On, R; Cooke, B; Schott, S. "(Re)discovering SoTL through a Fundamental Challenge: Helping Students Transition to College Calculus." MAA Notes: Guide to the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning in Mathematics (October, 2012).
Last modified: 2017/03/26