Jean F. O'Barr
|2101 Spring Meadow Dr
Chapel Hill NC 27517
| (919) 489-7879 (office)
Awards and Fellowships
Visiting Fellow,, Queen Elizabeth House, Oxford University,, 1983
Institute for Administrative Advancement,, University of Michigan,, 1974
PhD,, Northwestern University,, 1970
Certificate in African Studies,, Northwestern University,, 1970
MA,, Northwestern University,, 1965
BA,, Indiana University,, 1964
Imperial History, Constitutional Law, and Comparative Government,, Edinburgh University,, 1962
- Duke University Panhellenic Association Faculty Leadership Award, Duke University, November 17, 2004
- Capital Campaign Celebration Recognition, Duke University, February, 2004
- Honorary Degree, Indiana University, May, 2002
- Named Symposium, Laura and Robert Muglia Family Foundation, February, 2001
- Jean Fox O’Barr Professorship of Women’s Studies, Lee/Ewing Foundation, 2000
Chair in Women’s Studies awarded to Duke University
- University Distinguished Service Professor, Duke University, 2000
First woman to be so named in Duke University's history.
- Distinguished Alumni Award, Northwestern University Graduate School, 1999
- Margaret Taylor Smith Director of Women's Studies, Duke University, 1998-2001
Named first Margaret Taylor Smith Director of Women's Studies, an endowed position.
- Richard Lublin Award for Excellence in Teaching, Duke University, 1997
- Exemplary Mentor Award, Administrative Women's Network, Duke University, 1992
- Jean O'Barr Fund, established by alumnae of Duke University, 1992
half million dollar teaching endowment
- Selected for study by Ford and Exxon Education Foundation Study as one of 25 women leaders who shaped the future of higher education, Women of Influence, Women of Vision: A Cross Generational Study of Leaders and Social Change by Jossey-Bass, February, 1991
- Fulbright Faculty Exchange, University of Barcelona, 1990
Lectures on Feminism
- Recognized as the first person to teach a course on women and development in the United States (1975), INSTRAW, 1990
- Award for Distinguished Contributions to the Status of Women at Duke University, Faculty Women's Network, Duke University, 1988
- Selected as one of l00 outstanding young leaders in education, Change Magazine, 1978
- Selected to participate in the Women in Higher Education Administration National Forum, ACE National Identification Program, 1978
- Conference Planning Committee-on-, Abortion: Research, Ethics and Activism, January-November, 2003
- Organizer-of-, Symposium: Martine de Vos, June 8, 2003
- Organizer-of-, Symposium: Judith Touchton, March 29, 2003
- Organizer-of-, Symposium: Stephanie Shields, March 22, 2003
Service to Program in Education
- POP Review for Dr. Rigsby, Committee Member, Spring 2007
Service to University
- Central Campus Planning Committee, Duke University, Member and Facilitator of focus groups, 2005 - present
- University Council on Aging, Duke University, Member, 2003 - present
- Coordinating Council on Work and Family Life, Duke University, Member, 2003 - 2008
- Friends of Duke University Libraries, Member (Chair, 2003-2005), 2001 - present
Chair of the Friends of the Library Board,
responsible for Engaging Faculty Lecture Series
- Feminist Generations, Generating Feminisms Symposium Planning Committee, Member, 2005
- Faculty Women's Network Steering Committee, Member, 2004 to present
- Women's Athletics Advisory Board, Duke University, Member, 2003 - 2004
Host and sponsor for fundraising purposes.
- Baldwin Scholars Internal Advisory Board, Duke University, Member, May, 2004
- SPA Board, Duke University, Member, 2003-2004
Member and Academic Advisor to women varsity
- Women's College Conference 1930-1972 Organizing Committee, Duke University, Member, 2001 - 2002
- Throwing Like a Girl: Perkins Library Public Program, Reader, October 26, 2006
- Parents Weekend Panel on My Sister's Keeper, Panelist, October 27, 2006
- Training of Orientation Counselors, Fall 2006, Presentor, August 19, 2006
- Duke Institute for Learning in Retirement 30th Anniversary Committee, 2006-2007
- Faculty Women's Network, Executive Committee, 2004 to present
- Celebrating the 75th Anniversary of the Dedication of the Woman's College Library, Planning Committee, March 23, 2006
- Navigating Duke: A Panel Discussion for Women Faculty, Member, February 7, 2006
- Annual Alumni Career Symposium, Moderator for two sessions, Women in Leadership, January 28, 2006
Service to Profession
- East Carollina University Women's Studies Program, Chair, External Review, November 10-11, 2006
- Appalachia State University Women's Studies Program, Chair, External Review, June 4-6, 2006
- Guilford College Women's Studies Program, Consultant, May 4, 2006
- Olegthorpe University Women's Alumni Network, Consultant, April 30, 2006
- SIGNS: Journal of Women in Culture and Society: 30 Years of Scholarship, Panel Presenter, April 6, 2006
- Advisory Council of the Program in the Study of Women and Gender, Member, June 2006-June 2010
- Eleanor Smeal Introduction, Feminist Generations, Generating Feminisms Symposium, October 26, 2005
- "I Was a Teenage Feminist" Panel Moderator, Feminist Generations, Generating Feminisms Symposium, October 27, 2005
- Marjoring in Women's Studies II, Meredith College Forum, October 17, 2005
- Feminist Perspectives on The Kite Runner, First Year Orientation Plenary Panel, Duke University, August 26, 2005
- The Berkshire Conference of Women Historians: A Panel Discussion, Sallile Bingham Center Women's Colloquium, Perkins Library, Duke Univeristy, August 11, 2005
- Women and the Vote, Durham County Democratic Women's Annual Meeting, July 30, 2005
- Chair, Anarchist Feminist and Social Revolution, 1890-1920: Chile, Japan and the U.S., The Berkshire History Conference, June 2, 2005
- Women, Power and Academic Institutions, DUMC Department of Cardiology, May 12, 2005
- Mentoring, Baldwin Scholars Annual Dinner, Duke University, April 5, 2005
- Women, Leadership and Duke, Alumni Reunion Weekend, April 16, 2005
- In Celebration of Women's History Month, Burlington Women's Forum, February 23, 2005
- Majoring in Women's Studies, Meredith College Forum, March 21, 2005
- Curriculum Design Two Day Workshop, Charlotte, NC, February 23, 2005
- Gender Dynamics in Teaching, Teaching Breakfasts in the Graduate School Lecture Series, Duke University, November 4, 2004
- A History of Women Faculty at Duke, Duke University Faculty Women's Network, September 14, 2004
- Studying Women and Gender, Duke University MALS Symposium, October 18, 2004
- Having Their Say: Women and Electoral Politics, Duke University, September 28, 2004
- Mountains Beyond Moutains: First Year Symposium, Duke University, August 22, 2004
- Academic Affairs/Student Affairs: Building Effective Relationships, Duke University National Student Affairs Conference, June 7, 2004
- Women and Leadership at Duke, Duke University Alumni Weekend, April 17, 2004
- A History of Women's Leadership at Duke, Duke University Women's Colloquium, April 8, 2004
- Women's Studies in the U.S., University of Klagenfurt, Austria, March 21, 2004
- Women's Studies in the U.S., Utrecht University, The Netherlands, February 12, 2004
- Undergraduates, Activism and Scholarship, Duke University Libraries, December 17, 2003
- Sallie Bingham: Beginnings, Duke University Libraries, October 30, 2003
- Strength in Numbers: Women and Athletics, Duke University, October 22, 2003
- What PhD Women's Studies Graduates Do: A Different Kind of Academic, NWSA Conference, June 22, 2003
- Improving Campus Climates for Women, NWSA Conference, June 21, 2003
- Women's Centers, Women's Studies: A Case of Collaboration, NWSA Preconference, June 19, 2003
- A Legacy of Excellence and Leadership: Women's Students Now and Then, Duke University Alumni College, April 12, 2003
- Women's Studies/Women's Health, DUMC with Nancy Miliken, April 8, 2003
- Women's Rights as Human Rights: A Global Perspective, University of North Carolina at Wilmington, March 27, 2003
- Reproductive Rights Film Festival, Perkins Library, Duke University, March 26, 2003
- Graduate Student Research Day, Duke University, March 21, 2003
- Gender Studies Symposium, Lewis and Clark College, March 13, 2003
- Contemporary Feminism: A Conversation with Robin Morgan, FOCUS special class, March 5, 2003
- Women's Studies at Duke, Naples, FL, February 14, 2003
- The State of the Art in Women's Studies Research, University of Hawaii at Hilo, February 3, 2003
- African Women: Past and Present, Introduction to African Studies Course, Duke University, January 27, 2003
- Women's Studies and the Liberal Arts College, Williamette College, Portland OR, December 21, 2002
- Women's Studies PhD Conference Follow Up, Emory University, December 12, 2002
- Production of Reading, "Southern Women at Vassar", Duke University, November 19, 2002
- Conference on the Woman's College 1930-1972, Duke University, November 7, 2002
- Introduction for Sallie Bingham Reading, Duke University, November 5, 2002
- DILR at Twentyfive, Duke University, October 13-16, 2002
- Summer Institute on Globalization, Duke University, July 31, 2002
- Conference on the Women's Studies PhD, Emory University, October 12-14, 2001
- The Woman's College Conference 1930-1972, Duke University, November, 2002
- Abortion: Research, Ethics, and Activisim, Duke University, October, 2003
Peer-reviewed journal articles published
- J.F. O'Barr. "The Movement to Establish Women's Studies." Encyclopedia of Social Movements 2 (2004): 415-421.
- J.F. O'Barr and Stephanie Shields. "The Women's Studies PhD: A Report." NWSA Journal 15.1 (Spring, 2003): 118-131.
- J.F. O'Barr. "Women's Studies." Encyclopedia of Higher Education second edition (2003): 2688-2691.
- J.F. O'Barr. "Women's Studies Is Alive and Well." National Council of Jewish Women Journal 24.1 (Spring, 2001): 22-24.
- J.F. O'Barr. "My Master List for the Millenium: Commissioned essay." SIGNS: Journal of Women in Society and Culture (special issue) 25.4 (Summer, 2000): 1205-1208. (Reprinted in Judith Howard and Carolyn Allen, eds. Feminisms at a Millenium (Chicago: University of Chicago) 2001, 202-204.)
- J.F. O'Barr. "Legitimacy Maintenance: The Politics of Women's Studies." Feminist Critical Policy Analysis: A Perspective from Post-Secondary Education Volume 2 (1997).
- J.F. O'Barr and Kathryn Firmin-Sellers. "African Women in Politics." African Women South of the Sahara all new chapter, revised edition (January, 1995).
- J.F. O'Barr. "Women's Studies Programs." The Oxford Companion of Women's Writings in the United States (1995).
- J.F. O'Barr. "Exclusions and the Process of Empowerment: The Case for Feminist Scholarship." Challenging Times: The Women's Movement in Canada and the United States (1992).
- J.F. O'Barr and Katharine Bartlett. "The Chilly Climate on College Campuses: An Expansion of the 'Hate Speech' Debate." Duke Law Journal 1990.3 (June, 1990): 574-586.
- J.F. O'Barr. "Foreword." Directory of Women's Studies Programs and Library Resources (1990).
- J.F. O'Barr. "Women's Studies and the Perkins Library System: A Working Partnership." Duke University Libraries 3.1 (Fall, 1989): 2-6.
- J.F. O'Barr. "Re entry Women in Academy: The Contributions of a Feminist Perspective." Educating the Majority: How Women are Changing Higher Education (1989).
- J.F. O'Barr. "Evaluating Courses for Inclusion of New Scholarship on Women." Project on the Status and Education of Women (1988).
- J.F. O'Barr. "Feminist Issues in the Fiction of Kenya's Women authors." African Literature Today 15 (January, 1987): 55-70.
- J.F. O'Barr. "Reflections on Forum '85 in Kenya: Voices from the International Women's Studies Community." SIGNS: Journal of Women in Culture and Society 11.3 (Spring, 1986): 589-609.
- J.F. O'Barr. "Power in Gender Relationships: The Case of Kenyan Novels by Women Authors." Language and Power (1984).
- J.F. O'Barr. "African Women in Politics." African Women South of the Sahara first edition (1984).
- J.F. O'Barr. "Women and the University." University of Michigan Center for Continuing Education for Women Conference Report (1984).
- J.F. O'Barr. "The New Scholarship on Women: Stirring In or Stirring Up?." Duke University Letters (November, 1983).
- J.F. O'Barr and Mark Tessler. "Participant Citizenship in Tunisia: Considering Gender." Journal of Arab Affairs 2.1 (January, 1982): 47-84. (Reprinted in Tawfic Farah, ed., Political Behavior in the Arab States (Boulder: Westview Press) 1983)
- J.F. O'Barr. "Continuing Education and Older Adults." National Institute on Aging's National Research Planning Panel (1981). (Reprinted in Joseph Teaff, Leisure Services with the Elderly, St. Louis: C. V. Mosley Co)
- J.F. O'Barr. "Funding Adult Counseling Programs." The Forum for Continuing Education (Summer, 1980).
- J.F. O'Barr. "Women in Higher Education: Agenda for the '80s." Comment 1980 (June, 1980).
- J.F. O'Barr. "Dual Careers at Duke: Conference Programming on a Popular but-Little Understood Topic." The Forum for Continuing Education (Spring, 1980).
- J.F. O'Barr. "Dual Careers for Faculty and Family: Can Both Prosper?." American Association of Higher Education Bulletin 32 (1979). (Reprinted in Anthropology Newsletter, AAA, 2l, pp. 16, 12 13)
- J.F. O'Barr. "Continuing Education and the Older Learner: A Program Development Model Based on Duke University's Institute for Learning in Retirement." Advances in Research 3 (1979): 1-12.
- J.F. O'Barr. "Peer Teaching." Generations: Journal of the Western Gerontological Society 3 (1978): 10-11.
- J.F. O'Barr. ""Tanzania" and "Uganda"." Encyclopedia Americana Yearbook (1977).
- J.F. O'Barr. "Pare Women: A Case of Political Involvement." Rural Africana 29 (1976): 121-134.
- J.F. O'Barr. "Support for the Adult Student." Adult Leadership 25 (1976).
- J.F. O'Barr. "Making the Invisible Visible: African Women in Politics and Policy." African Studies Review 18 (1975): 19-27.
- J.F. O'Barr. "The Study of Political Participation in Rural Africa." Survey Research in Africa (1973).
- J.F. O'Barr. "Cell Leaders in Tanzania: Implications of a New Level in Political Administration." African Studies Review 15 (1972): 437-466.
- J.F. O'Barr. "The Role of the Ten-House Cell Leader in Tanzania." Geneva-Africa 10 (1972): 1-16.
- J.F. O'Barr. "Report on Changes in Tanzanian Rural Society and Their Relevance for Development Planning." Rural Africana 13 (1971): 43-49.
- J.F. O'Barr with Eugenia DeLamotte and Natania Meeker. Women Imagine Change: A Global Anthology of Women's Resistence from 600 BCE to Present. New York: Routledge, 1997.
- J.F. O'Barr, with Nancy Hewitt and Nanvy Rosebaugh, eds.. Talking Gender: Public Images, Personal Journeys, and Political Critiques. Chapel Hill, NC: University of North Carolina, 1996.
- J.F. O'Barr. Feminism in Action: Building Institutions and Community Through Women's Studies. Chapel Hill, NC: University of North Carolina, 1994.
- J.F. O'Barr with Robert H. Yates and Valentin Y. Mudimbe, eds.. Africa and the Disciplines: Contributions of the Study of Africa to the Humanities and Social Sciences. Chicago: University of Chicago, 1993.
- J.F. O'Barr and Mary Wyer, eds.. Engaging Feminism: Students Speak Up and Speak Out. Charlottesville, Va: University of Virginia, 1992.
- J.F. O'Barr with Deborah Pope and Mary Wyer, eds.. Ties That Bind: Essays on Mothering and Patriarchy. Chicago: University of Chicago, 1990.
- J.F. O'Barr with Micheline Malson, Elisabeth Mudimbe-Boyi, and Mary Wyer, eds.. Black Women in America: Social Science Perspectives. Chicago: University of Chicago Press, January, 1989. (collection of social science articles from SIGNS, reprinted 1991)
- J.F. O'Barr with Judith Bennett, Elizabeth Clark, Anne Vilen, and Sarah Westphal-Wihl, eds.. Sisters and Workers in the Middle Ages. Chicago: University of Chicago, 1989.
- J.F. O'Barr with Micheline Malson, Sarah Westphal-Wihl, and Mary Wyer. Feminist Theory in Practice and Process. Chicago: University of Chicago, 1989.
- J.F. O'Barr, ed.. Women and A New Academy: Gender and Cultural Contexts. Madison, WI: University of Wisconsin, 1989.
- J.F. O'Barr with Elizabeth Minnich and Rachel Rosenfeld, eds.. Reconstructing the Academy: Women's Education and Women's Studies. Chicago: University of Chicago, 1988.
- J.F. O'Barr and Sandra Harding, eds.. Sex and Scientific Inquiry. Chicago: University of Chicago, 1987.
- J.F. O'Barr and Muthoni Likimani, eds.. Passbook Number #F.47927: Women and the Mau Mau in Kenya. London: Macmillan and New York: Praeger, 1985.
- J.F. O'Barr, ed.. Perspectives on Power: Women in Africa, Asia, and Latin America. Durham: Duke University International Studies Program, 1982.
- J.F. O'Barr. Third World Women: Factors in Their Changing Status. Durham: Duke University Comparative Area Studies Program, 1976.
- J.F. O'Barr, ed.. Language and Politics. The Hague: Mouton, 1976.
- J.F. O'Barr and Johannes Mlela. Shindano: Swahili Essays and Other Stories. Syracuse: Program of Eastern African Studies, 1971.
- J.F. O'Barr. "Naming, Sharing, Speaking: Teaching in Midlife." Wise Women: Reflections of Teachers at Mid-Life.
Ed. Phyllis Freeman and Jan Scmidt, eds.. Routledge, February, 2000. 210-231.
- J.F. O'Barr. Catching a Wave. Among Friends 7.1
(Fall 2006): p. 2.
- J.F. O'Barr. Doing Women's Studies. SIGNS: Journal of Women in Culture and Society 32.1
(Autumn 2006): 285-288.
- J.F. O'Barr. Women's Studies for the Future and Doing Women's Studies. SIGNS forthcoming
- J.F. O'Barr. Sarah Dunant, The Birth of Venus. Among Friends 4, 2
- J.F. O'Barr. Elizabeth Berg, The Art of Mending. Among Friends 52
- J.F. O'Barr. Erik Larsen, The Devil and the White City. Among Friends vol. 5, no. 1
- J.F. O'Barr. Sarah Durant, The Birth of Venus. Among Friends 4.2
(Spring, 2004): 2.
- J.F. O'Barr. Jane Hamilton, Disobedience. Among Friends 4.1
- J.F. O'Barr. Carol Shields,The Stone Diaries and Unless: A Novel. Among Friends 3.2
(Spring 2003): 2.
- J.F. O'Barr. Brenda Denzler, The Lure of the Edge: Scientific Passions, Religious Beliefs, and the Pursuit of UFOs. Among Friends 2.2
- J.F. O'Barr. 2001 Blanche Cooke, Eleanor, Volumes I and II, and Allida M Black, Courage in a Dangerous World. National Women’s Studies Journal 13.3
- J.F. O'Barr. Ruth Rosen, The World Split Open. Among Friends 9.1
- J.F. O'Barr. Barbara Risman, Gender Vertigo: American Families inTransition. Men and Masculinities 2.3
- J.F. O'Barr. 1999 Katharine H.S. Moon, Sex Among the Allies: Military Prostitution in U.S./North Korean Relations. American Political Science Review 93.2
- J.F. O'Barr. Timothy Quinnan, Adult Students "At-Risk": Cultural Bias in Higher Education. Contemporary Gerontology 5.1
- J.F. O'Barr. Frances Maher and Mary Kay Tetreault: The Feminist Classroom; Linda Garber: Tilting the Tower; Jane Martin: Changing the Educational Landscape. SIGNS: Journal of Women in Culture and Society 21.3
- J.F. O'Barr. Elizabeth Spelman: Inessential Woman: Problems of Exclusion in Feminist Thought. The American Book Review 12.2
- J.F. O'Barr. Cyril Houle: Continuing Learning in the Professions. Journal of Higher Education 53.5
(September October): 609-609.
- J.F. O'Barr. Leopold Kohr: Development Without Aid: The Translucent Society. Journal of Politics
- J.F. O'Barr. Valene L. Smith (ed.): Hosts and Guests: The Anthropology of Tourism. International Journal of Comparative Sociology 22.3-4
- J.F. O'Barr. Martin King Whyte: The Status of Women in Pre industrial Societies. International Journal of Comparative Society 21.3-4
- J.F. O'Barr. Karen Sacks: Sisters and Wives and Ilsa Schuster: New Women of Lusaka. 1980 Review of Books: African Studies Review 6
- J.F. O'Barr. Christopher Mojekwu et al.: African Society, Culture and Politics. African Studies Review 23
- J.F. O'Barr. Swedish Development Authority: Women in Developing Countries. African Economic History.3
- J.F. O'Barr. New Films on Women in Developing Countries. DEA News, Newsletter of APSA 7
- J.F. O'Barr. Clyde Ingle: From Village to State in Tanzania. American Political Science Review 69
Peer-reviewed journal articles in preparation
- J.F. O'Barr. "A Personal Perspective on Women's Studies." Alice Ginsburg, editor (2007).
- J.F. O'Barr, editor. "Proceedings of the "Locating Feminism" Lecture Series." Durham, NC: Women's Studies, Duke University. (1998).
- J.F. O'Barr, coeditor. "Duke University Libraries." (Fall, 1989). special issue on Feminist Scholarship
- J.F. O'Barr, editor. "The Changing Patterns of Our Lives: Women's Education and Women's Studies." Durham, NC: Women's Studies at Duke University. (1989). 83 page proceedings of a Sesquicentennial Symposium at Duke University, March 3-5, 1989
- J.F. O'Barr. "SIGNS: A Ten Year Subject Index." SIGNS: Journal of Women in Culture and Society (1986). 104 pp
- J.F. O'Barr. "Women in Developing Societies." Political Economy of Development: Political Science Reading Lists and Course Outlines Durham: Eno River Press. (1981).
- J.F. O'Barr. "Conflict of Interest: A Growing Challenge for Working Couples." Durham: Duke University Office of Continuing Education. (1980).
- J.F. O'Barr. "Continuing Education at Duke: Ten Years of Experience." Durham: Duke University Office of Continuing Education. (1979).
- J.F. O'Barr. "Careers for Humanists." Durham: Duke University Office of Continuing Education. (1978).
- J.F. O'Barr. "Second Careers for Women." Durham: Duke University Office of Continuing Education. (1975).
- J.F. O'Barr. "Abstracts of U.S. and Canadian journal articles dealing with Africa." African Abstracts (1966 to 1971).
- J.F. O'Barr. "Computer Keyword Indexing: Applications to Current Anthropology." Current Anthropology 7 (1966): 632-664.
Last modified: 2012/11/13