George D. Gopen |
Professor of Practice Emeritus
Office Location: 06A Social Sciences, Durham, NC 27708
Office Phone: (919) 660-4375
Email Address: email@example.com
- Office Hours:
- call 919-384-7175
J.D., Harvard University
B.A., Brandeis University
- Ph.D., Harvard University
- Representative Publications
- GD Gopen. Expectations: Teaching Writing from the Reader’s Perspective. manual. Longman Publishers, Pearson Education Division, 2004.
- GD Gopen. A Sense of Structure: Writing From a Reader’s Perspective. manual. Longman Publishers, Pearson Education Division, 2004.
- G GOPEN and J SWAN. "THE SCIENCE OF SCIENTIFIC WRITING." AMERICAN SCIENTIST 78.6
Co-authored with biochemist Judith Swan. Reprinted in Exploring Animal Behavior, eds. Paul W. Sherman and John Alcock (Sunderland, MA: Sinauer Associates, Inc., 1993). Japanese translation: Yosuke Kawachi, A Collection of Geological Sample Sentences: A Guide for Scientific Writing, pp. 293-313 (1994). Spanish translation: "La Cienca de los Escritos Cientificos," tr. Dr. Victor W. Gonzalez Lauck; Publicacion Especial Num. 3; Instituto Nacional de Investigaciones Forestales Y Agropecunarias; Campo Experimental Huimanguillo; Cadenas, Tabasco, Mexico (1995). Second Spanish translation: "La Ciencia de la Escritura Cientifica," tr. Jorge R. Talbot, for the June 1996 Conference of the Fundacion de Investigaciones Metabolicas, Buenos Aires, Argentina [Gateway.cgi]
- GD Gopen. "Why So Many Bright Students and So Many Dull Papers?: Peer Responded Journals as a Partial Solution to the Problem of Fake Audience."." The WAC journal 16
An article on the use of peer-responded
journals in college courses in any
- GD Gopen. "The Music of T.S. Eliot’s Four Quartets." Ars Lyrica XIII
(Summer, 2003): 29-75.