Julie A. Tetel |
Professor of English and Linguistics and Associate Professor of Slavic Languages and Literature
Office Location: 307A Allen Bldg, Durham, NC 27708
Office Phone: (919) 681-7610
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Web Page: http://ca-www.aas.duke.edu/~jtetel
Teaching (Fall, 2016):
- English 290s-4.01, Sp topics in creative writing
- Allen 318, W 04:40 PM-07:10 PM
- English 390s-7.02, Sp topics in lang & lit
- Allen 304i, MW 03:05 PM-04:20 PM
- Office Hours:
- Fall 2014
Wednesday and Friday 9-10am and 1-2pm
or by Appointment
M.A., University of Illinois -- Urbana-Champaign
B.A., Duke University
- Ph.D., University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
Julie Tetel Andresen writes in the field of linguistic historiography, focusing on French, German, and American theories of language from the eighteenth through the twentieth centuries. She is the author of Linguistics in America 1769-1924: A Critical History (Routledge, 1990, paperback edition 1996). She is currently writing a manuscript entitled Observing Linguistics to be finished in 2004. She served for five years as the Director of the Duke Univeristy-University of Bucharest, Romania Faculty Exchange. Between 1985 and 1997 she published sixteen historical novels with mass-market publishers. In 1997 she founded her own publishing company, with two imprints: Generation Books (non-fiction) and Madeira Books (fiction).
See article from Duke Magazine 25th Anniversary Issue
Tetel Andresen, Julie. 2010. Historiography's contribution to theoretical linguistics. In Douglas A. Kibee, (ed.), Chomskyan (R)evolutions. Amsterdam/Philadelphia: John Benjamins. 445-471.
- Representative Publications
- with JA Tetel and PM Carter. Languages of the World. An Introduction through Culture and Cognition. manual. Wiley-Blackwell. Wiley-Blackwell, 2014.
- JA Tetel. Linguistics and Evolution. A Developmental Systems Theory Approach. manual. Cambridge University Press, 2013. [author's comments]
- JA Tetel. "Historiography’s contribution to theoretical linguistics." manualChomskyan Evolutions and Revolutions: Essays in Honor of E.F.K. Koerner. Ed. D Kibbee. John Benjamins,
(January, 2010): 443-469.
- JA Tetel. Toward a history of American Linguistics. Language 86.1
(Spring, 2010). [abs]
- JA Tetel. William Dwight Whitney in Perspective. Metascience