- P Wald. Contagious: Cultures, Carriers, and the Outbreak Narrative. Duke University Press, 2008. [abs]
- P Wald. Constituting Americans: Cultural Anxiety and Narrative Form. Duke UP, 1995. (second printing, 1998) [abs]
- with Michael Elliott. Oxford History of the Novel in English (American Novel 1870-1940). 6 2014.
- with Gerry Canavan. Science Fiction. special issue of American Literature 83.2
- with J. Clayton, K.F.C. Holloway. Genomics in Literature, the Visual Arts, and Culture. Literature and Medicinespecial issue,
- with N. Tomes, and L. Lynch, eds.. Culture and Contagion. special issue of American Literary History 14.4
- Wai Chee Dimock, Priscilla Wald. Literature and Science: Cultural Forms, Conceptual Exchanges. special issue of American Literature 74.4
- with C. Di Stefano and J. Weisenfeld, eds.. Institutions, Regulations and Social Control. special issue of Signs
Essays/Articles/Chapters in Books
- P Wald. "Science, Technology, and the Environment."
- P Wald. "The Cultural Politics of Blood, 1500-1900."
- P Wald. "The Provincialism of Time." Early American Literature 50.1
- Wald. "Science and Literature in America." Oxford Encyclopedia of the History of Science, Medicine, and Technology in America. Ed. Hugh Slotten, Steve Usselman, and Constance Clark.
- P Hudson, D Goldfield, RL Bailey, EC Hubal, P Wald and D Stewart. "Serials from the Other Side: An Editorial Perspective on Current Trends in Scholarly Communication." SERIALS REVIEW 39.3
(September, 2013): 190-192.
- PT Morgan and P Wald. "Preface: Thoreau Symposium." AMERICAN LITERATURE 85.1
(March, 2013): 1-3.
- Wald. "Afterword." Contagionism and Contagious Diseases: Medicine and Literature between 1880 and 1933. Ed. Thomas Rutten and Martina King. De Gruyter,
- Wald. "The ‘Hidden Tyrant’: Propaganda, Brainwashing, and Psycho-Politics in the Cold War Period." Oxford Handbook of Propaganda Studies. Ed. Jonathan Auerbach and Russ Castronovo. Oxford University Press,
- Wald. "Immigrant Literature and the Immigrant Experience." Immigrants in American History: Arrival, Adaptation, and Integration,. Ed. Elliott Barkan. ABC-Clio,
- Wald. "Afterword: Global Health and the Persistence of History." Imperial Contagions: Medicine and Cultures of Planning in Asia. Ed. Robert Peckham and David Pomfret. University of Hong Kong Press,
- Wald. "Botanophobia: Fear of Plants in the Atomic Age." Japanese Journal of American Studies 24
- P. Wald. "Bio Terror: Hybridity in the Biohorror Narrative, or What We Can Learn From Our Monsters." Contagion: Health, Fear, Sovereignty.
- P. Wald. "Cells, Genes, and Stories: HeLa’s Journey from Labs to Literature." Genetics and the Unsettled Past: The Collision of Race, DNA and History. Ed. Keith Wailoo, Alondra Nelson, and Catherine Lee. Rutgers University Press,
- P. Wald. "American Studies and the Politics of Life: ASA Presidential Address." American Quarterly 64.2
- P. Wald. "Exquisite Fragility: Human Being in the Aftermath of War." A Companion to American Literary StudiesBlackwell Companion to American Literary Studies.
- G Canavan and P Wald. "American Literature: Preface." American Literature 83.2
(June, 2011): 237-249.
- G Canavan and P Wald. "Speculative Fictions Preface." AMERICAN LITERATURE 83.2
(June, 2011): 237-249.
- P Wald. "Science fiction."
- P. Wald. "“Science Fiction: Stories of Warning and Wonder,”." Cambridge History of the American Novel.
- P Wald. "Introduction to Science Fiction." American Literature 83.2
- P. Wald. ""The Intimacies of Strangers"." emisférica 6.1
- P. Wald. ""Science Fiction and Medical Ethics"." The Lancet 371
(June 14, 2009): 9629-9629.
- P. Wald. "“We Have Never Been Biological,” Forum: Conference Debates. Biocultures: An Emerging Paradigm." PMLA 124.3
(May, 2009): 953-55.
- B Rusert and P Wald. "American Literature: Introduction." American Literature 81.1
(April, 2009): 1-6.
- Britt Rusert and P. Wald. "Introduction, Technologies of Enslavement and Liberty." American Literature 81.1
- P Wald. "Cognitive estrangement, science fiction, and medical ethics.." Lancet (London, England) 371.9628
(June, 2008): 1908-1909.
- P. Wald. "Science Fiction and Medical Ethics." The Lancet 371.9629
- P. Wald. "“Geonomics: the Spaces and Races of Citizenship in the Genome Age”." America--From Near and Far: Varieties of American Experience. Ed. Marc Lee Raphael and Cornelia Wilhelm. Department of Religion, William and Mary College,
- P Wald. "Naturalization." Keywords of American Cultural Studies. Ed. Bruce Burgett and Glenn Hendler. NYU Press,
- P Wald. "Atomic Faulkner." Faulkner's Inheritance. Ed. Joseph Urgo. University of Mississippi Press,
- P Wald and J Clayton. "Editors' preface: Genomics in literature, visual arts, and culture." LITERATURE AND MEDICINE 26.1
- "Blood and Stories: How Genomics is Changing Race, Medicine, and Human History." Patterns of Prejudice 40.4/5
- P Wald. "Blood and stories: how genomics is rewriting race, medicine and human history." PATTERNS OF PREJUDICE 40.4-5
- P Wald. "What's in a cell? John Moore's spleen and the language of bioslavery." NEW LITERARY HISTORY 36.2
(Spring, 2005): 205-225.
Special Issue [Gateway.cgi], [doi]
- HA Baker and P Wald. "Anniversaries and "whispering ambitions": 'American Literature' at 75." AMERICAN LITERATURE 76.4
(December, 2004): 639-652.
- P Wald. "Hannah crafts.." In Search of Hannah Crafts: Critical Essays on the Bondwoman's Narrative. Ed. Henry Louis Gates, Jr. and Hollis Robbins. Basic Books,
- P Wald. "“Dreiser’s Sociological Vision”." The Cambridge Companion to Theodore Dreiser. Ed. Leonard Cassuto and Claire Virginia Eby. Cambridge UP,
- P Wald. "Of crucibles and grandfathers: The East European immigrants."
- P Wald. "Hannah crafts.." Critical Essays on Hannah Crafts' The Bondwoman's Narrative. Ed. Henry Louis Gates, Jr. and Hollis Robbins. Basic Books,
- P Wald. "The East European Immigrants: Of Crucibles and Grandfathers." The Cambridge Companion to Jewish American Literature. Ed. Michael Kramer and Hana Wirth Nesher. Cambridge UP,
- P Wald. "Introduction to Paula Treichler’s AIDS, Homophobia, and Biomedical Discourse: An Epidemic of Signification." American Literary Studies: A Methodological Reader. Ed. P. Wald,Michael A. Elliott and Claudia Stokes. New York: New York UP,
- P Wald. "Dreiser & The Fallen." Woman Narrative Ed. P. Wald.
- Wai Chee Dimock, P. Wald. "Preface." Literature and Science: Cultural Forms, Conceptual Exchanges (a special issue of American Literature) 74.4
(December, 2002): 705-14.
- P. Wald, N.Tomes, L. Lynch. "Introduction." Culture and Contagion, a special issue of American Literary History 14.4
(Winter, 2002): 617-24.
- WC Dimock and P Wald. "Literature and science: Cultural forms, conceptual exchanges - Preface." AMERICAN LITERATURE 74.4
(December, 2002): 705-714.
- P Wald, N Tomes and L Lynch. "Introduction: Culture and Contagion." American Literary History 14.4
(December, 2002): 617-624.
- P Wald. "Communicable Americanism: Contagion, geographic fictions, and the sociological legacy of Robert E. Park." AMERICAN LITERARY HISTORY 14.4
(Winter, 2002): 653-685.
[Gateway.cgi] [author's comments]
- P Wald. "Immigration and Assimilation in Nineteenth-Century US Women’s Narratives." The Cambridge Companion to 19th-Century American Women's Writing. Ed. Dale Bauer and Philip Gould. Cambridge: Cambridge UP,
- A. Curzan, P. Wald. "Americanization." Encyclopedia of American Studies. Grolier,
- P. Wald. "Emma Goldman." American Women Prose Writers 1870-1920: Dictionary of Literary Biography. Ed. Sharon Harris with Heidi L. Jacobs and Jennifer Putzi. 221Detroit: Gale Group,
- P Wald. "Imagined Immunities." Cultural Studies & Political Theory. Ed. J. Dean. Cornell UP,
- P Wald. "Future Perfect: Genes, Grammar and Geography." New Literary History 4.31
- DM Bauer and P Wald. "Complaining, conversing, and coalescing." SIGNS 25.4
- P Wald, C DiStefano and J Weisenfeld. "Edititorial." Institutions, Regulation, and Social Control, Signs 24.4
- P Wald. "Minefields and Meeting Grounds: Transnational Analyses and American Studies." American Literary History 10.1
(January, 1998): 199-218.
- "Fabulous Shadows: Rethinking the Emersonian Tradition."
- P Wald. "Minefields and Meeting Grounds: Transnational Analyses and American Studies." American Literary History 9.1
(Spring 1997): 199-218.
- P Wald. "Cultures and Carriers: ’Typhoid Mary’ and the Science of Social Control." Social Text 52-53
(Dec. 1997): 181-214.
- P Wald. "Review of Lee Quinby’s Anti-Apocalypse: Exercises in Genealogical Criticism." American Literature 67.2
(June 1995): 421-22.
- P Wald. "Zora Neale Hurston." A Companion to American Thought. Ed. Richard Fox and James Kloppenberg. Blackwell Publishers,
- P Wald. "’Chaos Goes Uncourted’: John Yau’s Dis-orienting Poetics." Cohesion and Dissent in America. Ed. Joseph Alkana and Carol Colatrella. SUNY Press,
- P Wald. "Dreiser and the Fallen Woman Narrative." The Cambridge Companion to Theodore Dreiser. Duke UP,
1993. Reprinted in American Indian Persistence and Resurgence, ed. Karl Kroeber [Duke UP, 1994]
- P Wald. "Terms of Assimilation: Legislating Subjectivity in the Emerging Nation." boundary 2 19.3
(Fall 1992): 77-104.
Reprinted in Cultures of United States Imperialism, ed. Amy Kaplan and Donald Pease [Duke UP, 1993]. Also reprinted in American Indian Persistence and Resurgence, ed. Karl Kroeber [Duke UP, 1994]
- P Wald. "A God Who Is Later a Terror: (En)countering the National Plot in Gertrude Stein’s The Making of Americans." Prospects
(Jan. 1992): 323-65.
- P Wald. "Guilt by Dissociation: John Yau’s Poetics of Possibility." Talisman 5
(Fall 1990): 121-26.
- P Wald. "Hearing Narrative Voices in Melville’s Pierre." boundary 2 17.1
(Spring 1990): 100-32.
Reprinted in Revisionary Interventions into the Americanist Canon, ed. Donald Pease (Duke UP, 1994)
- P Wald. "Becoming “Colored”: The Self-Authorized Language of Difference in Zora Neale Hurston." American Literary History 2.1
- P Wald. "William Peterfield Trent." Dictionary of Literary Biography: Nineteenth Century American Literary Critics and Scholars. Columbia, SC: Bruccoli-Clark, Inc,
- P Wald. "BIO TERROR Hybridity in the Biohorror Narrative, or What We Can Learn from Monsters." CONTAGION: HEALTH, FEAR, SOVEREIGNTY (2012): 99-122. [Gateway.cgi]
- P Wald. Review of Jonathan Metzal's he Protest Psychosis: How Schizophrenia Became a Black Disease. SOCIAL HISTORY OF MEDICINE 24.1
(April, 2011): 194-195. [Gateway.cgi], [doi]
- P Wald. Review of Cynthia H. Tolentino's America's Experts: Race and the Fictions of Sociology. NOVEL-A FORUM ON FICTION 44.3
(2011): 467-470. [Gateway.cgi]
- P Wald. Review of Susan Mizruchi's The Rise of Multicultural America: Economy and Print Culture, 1865-1915. NOVEL-A FORUM ON FICTION 44.3
(2011): 467-470. [Gateway.cgi]
- P Wald. Review of Ian Whitmarsh's Biomedical Ambiguity: Race, Asthma, and the Contested Meaning of Genetic Research in the Caribbean. Social History of Medicine 22.2
(August, 2009): 421-422. [doi]
- P. Wald. Heather Munro Prescott, Student Bodies: The Influence of Student Health Services in American Society and Medicine. Bulletin of the History of Medicine
- P. Wald. Ian Whitmarsh, Biomedical Ambiguity: Race, Asthma, and the Contested Meaning of Genetic Research in the Caribbean. History of Social Medicine
- P Wald. Review of Heather Munro Prescott's Student Bodies: The Influence of Student Health Services in American Society and Medicine. BULLETIN OF THE HISTORY OF MEDICINE 83.1
(2009): 217-218. [Gateway.cgi]
- P Wald. Review of Ann L. Ardis and Leslie W. Lewis’ Women’s Experience of Modernity: 1875-1945. MODERNISM/Modernity 12.4
- P Wald. Review of Laura Otis’ Networking: Communicating with Bodies and Machines in the Nineteenth Century. Perspectives in Biology and Medicine 46.3
(Summer, 2003): 452-54.
- P Wald. Review of Lawrie Balfour’s The Evidence of Things Not Said: James Baldwin and the Promise of American Democracy. The Review of Politics 63.4
(Fall 2001): 593-95.
- P Wald. Review of Richard M. Merelman’s Representing Black Culture: Racial Conflict and Cultural Politics in the United States. Ethnic and Racial Studies 20.1
(Jan. 1997): 226-28.
- P Wald. Review of Nina Schwartz’s Dead Fathers: The Logic of Transference in Modern Narrative. Clio 26.1
(Fall 1996): 127-32.
- P Wald. Review of Genevieve Fabre and Robert O'Meally's History and Memory in African-American Culture. American Literature 68.1
(Mar. 1996): 269-71.
- P Wald. Review of Mark Twain’s Pudd’n’head Wilson: Race, Conflict, and Culture. Studies in American Fiction 23.2
(Autumn 1995): 254-56.
- P Wald. Review of Kathleen Diffley’s Where My Heart Is Turning Ever: Civil War Stories and Constitutional Reform, 1861-1876. Journal of American History 81.1
(June 1994): 283-84.
- P Wald. Review of Paula Gunn Allen’s A Cannon Between My Knees. Studies in American Indian Literature 9.4
- P Wald. Review of Leslie Marmon Silko’s Storyteller. Studies in American Indian Literature 6.4