- Wald, P. Contagious: Cultures, Carriers, and the Outbreak Narrative. Duke University Press, 2008. [abs]
- Wald, P. Constituting Americans: Cultural Anxiety and Narrative Form. Duke UP, 1995. (second printing, 1998) [abs]
- with Wald, ; Elliott, M. Oxford History of the Novel in English (American Novel 1870-1940). 6 2014.
- with Gerry Canavan. Science Fiction. special issue of American Literature 83.2
- with J. Clayton, K.F.C. Holloway. Genomics in Literature, the Visual Arts, and Culture. Literature and Medicinespecial issue,
- with N. Tomes, and L. Lynch, eds.. Culture and Contagion. special issue of American Literary History 14.4
- Wai Chee Dimock, Priscilla Wald. Literature and Science: Cultural Forms, Conceptual Exchanges. special issue of American Literature 74.4
- Stefano, CD; Weisenfeld, J. Institutions, Regulations and Social Control. special issue of Signs
Essays/Articles/Chapters in Books
- Wald, P. "Foreword." Voices of Resistance: Muslim Women on War, Faith and Sexuality. Ed. Husain, S. Seal,
2015. viii-xi. [doi]
- Wald, P. "Science, technology, and the environment." The Cambridge Companion to American Science Fiction. Ed. Canavan, G; Link, E.
2015. 179-193. [doi] [abs]
- Wald, P. "The Cultural Politics of Blood, 1500-1900." Ed. Cole, K; Bauer, R; Nunes, Z; Patterson, C. Palgrave Macmillan,
- Wald, P. "The Provincialism of Time." Early American literature 50.1
- Wald, P. "Science and Literature in America." Oxford Encyclopedia of the History of Science, Medicine, and Technology in America. Ed. Slotten, H; Usselman, S; Clark, C.
- Hudson, P; Goldfield, D; Bailey, RL; Hubal, EC; Wald, P; Stewart, D. "Serials from the Other Side: An Editorial Perspective on Current Trends in Scholarly Communication." Serials Review 39.3
(September, 2013): 190-192.
- Morgan, PT; Wald, P. "Preface: Thoreau Symposium." American Literature 85.1
(March, 2013): 1-3.
- Wald, P. "Afterword." Contagionism and Contagious Diseases: Medicine and Literature between 1880 and 1933. Ed. Rutten, T; King, M. De Gruyter,
- Wald, P. "The ‘Hidden Tyrant’: Propaganda, Brainwashing, and Psycho-Politics in the Cold War Period." Oxford Handbook of Propaganda Studies. Ed. Auerbach, J; Castronovo, R. Oxford University Press,
- Wald, P. "Immigrant Literature and the Immigrant Experience." Immigrants in American History: Arrival, Adaptation, and Integration,. Ed. Barkan, E. ABC-CLIO,
- Wald, P. "Afterword: Global Health and the Persistence of History." Imperial Contagions: Medicine and Cultures of Planning in Asia. Ed. Peckham, R; Pomfret, D. University of Hong Kong Press,
- Wald, P. "Botanophobia: Fear of Plants in the Atomic Age." Japanese Journal of American Studies 24
- P. Wald. "Bio Terror: Hybridity in the Biohorror Narrative, or What We Can Learn From Our Monsters." Contagion: Health, Fear, Sovereignty.
- Wald, P. "Cells, Genes, and Stories: HeLa’s Journey from Labs to Literature." Genetics and the Unsettled Past: The Collision of Race, DNA and History. Ed. Wailoo, K; Nelson, A; Lee, C. Rutgers University Press,
- Wald, P. "American Studies and the Politics of Life: ASA Presidential Address." American Quarterly 64.2
- Wald, P. "Exquisite Fragility: Human Being in the Aftermath of War." Blackwell Companion to American Literary Studies.
- Canavan, G; Wald, P. "American Literature: Preface." American Literature 83.2
(June, 2011): 237-249.
- Canavan, G; Wald, P. "Speculative Fictions Preface." American Literature 83.2
(June, 2011): 237-249.
- Wald, P. "Science fiction."
- Wald, P. "“Science Fiction: Stories of Warning and Wonder,”." Cambridge History of the American Novel. Ed. Cassuto, L; Eby, C; Reiss, B.
- Wald, P. "Introduction to Science Fiction." American Literature Ed. Canavan, G. 83.2Duke University Press,
- Wald, P. ""Science Fiction and Medical Ethics"." The Lancet 371
(June 14, 2009): 9629-9629.
- Wald, P. "“We Have Never Been Biological,” Forum: Conference Debates. Biocultures: An Emerging Paradigm." PMLA 124.3
(May, 2009): 953-55.
- Rusert, B; Wald, P. "American Literature: Introduction." American Literature 81.1
(April, 2009): 1-6.
- Rusert, B; Wald, P. "Introduction, Technologies of Enslavement and Liberty." American Literature Ed. Wald, P; Rusert, B. 81.1
- Wald, P. ""The Intimacies of Strangers"." emisférica 6.1
- Wald, P. "Cognitive estrangement, science fiction, and medical ethics.." The Lancet 371.9628
(June, 2008): 1908-1909.
- Wald, P. "“Geonomics: the Spaces and Races of Citizenship in the Genome Age”." America–From Near and Far: Varieties of American Experience. Ed. Raphael, ML; Wilhelm, C. Department of Religion, William and Mary College,
- Wald, P. "Naturalization." Keywords of American Cultural Studies. Ed. Burgett, B; Hendler, G. NYU Press,
- Wald, P. "Atomic Faulkner." Faulkner’s Inheritance. Ed. Urgo, J. University of Mississippi Press,
- Wald, P; Clayton, J. "Editors' preface: Genomics in literature, visual arts, and culture." Literature and Medicine 26.1
- "Blood and Stories: How Genomics is Changing Race, Medicine, and Human History." Patterns of Prejudice 40.4/5
- Wald, P. "Blood and stories: how genomics is rewriting race, medicine and human history." Patterns of Prejudice 40.4-5
- Wald, P. "What's in a cell? John Moore's spleen and the language of bioslavery." New Literary History 36.2
(Spring, 2005): 205-225.
Special Issue [Gateway.cgi], [doi]
- Baker, HA; Wald, P. "Anniversaries and "whispering ambitions": 'American Literature' at 75." American Literature 76.4
(December, 2004): 639-652.
- Wald, P. "Hannah crafts.." In Search of Hannah Crafts: Critical Essays on the Bondwoman’s Narrative. Ed. Henry Louis Gates, J; Robbins, H. Basic Books,
- Wald, P. "“Dreiser’s Sociological Vision”." The Cambridge Companion to Theodore Dreiser. Ed. Cassuto, L; Eby, CV. Cambridge UP,
- Wald, P. "Of crucibles and grandfathers: The East European immigrants." The Cambridge Companion to Jewish American Literature.
2003. 50-69. [doi] [abs]
- Wald, P. "Hannah crafts.." Critical Essays on Hannah Crafts’ The Bondwoman’s Narrative. Ed. Henry Louis Gates, J; Robbins, H. Basic Books,
- Wald, P. "The East European Immigrants: Of Crucibles and Grandfathers." The Cambridge Companion to Jewish American Literature. Ed. Kramer, M; Nesher, HW. Cambridge UP,
- Wald, P. "Introduction to Paula Treichler’s AIDS, Homophobia, and Biomedical Discourse: An Epidemic of Signification." American Literary Studies: A Methodological Reader. Ed. P Wald, MAE; Stokes, C. New York: New York UP,
- Wald, P. "Dreiser & The Fallen." Woman Narrative Ed. Wald, P.
- Wai Chee Dimock, P. Wald. "Preface." Literature and Science: Cultural Forms, Conceptual Exchanges (a special issue of American Literature) 74.4
(December, 2002): 705-14.
- P. Wald, N.Tomes, L. Lynch. "Introduction." Culture and Contagion, a special issue of American Literary History 14.4
(Winter, 2002): 617-24.
- Dimock, WC; Wald, P. "Literature and science: Cultural forms, conceptual exchanges - Preface." American Literature 74.4
(December, 2002): 705-714.
- Wald, P; Tomes, N; Lynch, L. "Introduction: Culture and Contagion." American Literary History 14.4
(December, 2002): 617-624.
- Wald, P. "Communicable Americanism: Contagion, geographic fictions, and the sociological legacy of Robert E. Park." American Literary History 14.4
(Winter, 2002): 653-685.
[Gateway.cgi] [author's comments]
- Wald, P. "Immigration and Assimilation in Nineteenth-Century US Women’s Narratives." The Cambridge Companion to 19th-Century American Women’s Writing. Ed. Bauer, D; Gould, P. Cambridge: Cambridge UP,
- Curzan, A; Wald, P. "Americanization." Encyclopedia of American Studies. Grolier,
- Wald, P. "The Idea of America." Encyclopedia of American Studies Grolier,
- Wald, P. "Emma Goldman." American Women Prose Writers 1870-1920: Dictionary of Literary Biography. Ed. Harris, S; Jacobs, HL; Putzi, J. 221Detroit: Gale Group,
- Wald, P. "Imagined Immunities." Cultural Studies & Political Theory. Ed. Dean, J. Cornell UP,
- Wald, P. "Future Perfect: Genes, Grammar and Geography." New Literary History 4.31
- Bauer, DM; Wald, P. "Complaining, conversing, and coalescing." Signs 25.4
- Wald, P. "Geographics: Writing the Shtetl into the Ghetto." Revista Canaria de Estudios Ingleses
(Nov. 1999): 209-27.
- Wald, P; DiStefano, C; Weisenfeld, J. "Edititorial." Institutions, Regulation, and Social Control, Signs 24.4
- Wald, P; Patterson, M. "Themes, Topics and Criticism." Ameican Literary Scholarship 1997. Duke UP,
- Wald, P. "Minefields and Meeting Grounds: Transnational Analyses and American Studies." American Literary History 10.1
(January, 1998): 199-218.
- "Fabulous Shadows: Rethinking the Emersonian Tradition."
- Wald, P. "Fabulous Shadows: Rethinking the Emersonian Tradition, Review of John Carlos Rowe's At Emerson's Tomb." American Quarterly 50.4Johns Hopkins University Press,
- Wald, P. "Cultures and Carriers: ’Typhoid Mary’ and the Science of Social Control." Social Text 52-53
(Dec. 1997): 181-214.
- Wald, P. "Minefields and Meeting Grounds: Transnational Analyses and American Studies." American Literary History 9.1
(Spring 1997): 199-218.
- Wald, P. "Review of Lee Quinby’s Anti-Apocalypse: Exercises in Genealogical Criticism." American Literature 67.2
(June 1995): 421-22.
- Wald, P. "Zora Neale Hurston." A Companion to American Thought. Ed. Fox, R; Kloppenberg, J. Blackwell Publishers,
- Wald, P. "’Chaos Goes Uncourted’: John Yau’s Dis-orienting Poetics." Cohesion and Dissent in America. Ed. Alkana, J; Colatrella, C. SUNY Press,
- Wald, P. "Dreiser and the Fallen Woman Narrative." The Cambridge Companion to Theodore Dreiser. Duke UP,
1993. Reprinted in American Indian Persistence and Resurgence, ed. Karl Kroeber [Duke UP, 1994]
- Wald, P. "A God Who Is Later a Terror: (En)countering the National Plot in Gertrude Stein’s The Making of Americans." Prospects
(Jan. 1992): 323-65.
- Wald, P. "Terms of Assimilation: Legislating Subjectivity in the Emerging Nation." boundary 2 19.3
(Fall 1992): 77-104.
Reprinted in Cultures of United States Imperialism, ed. Amy Kaplan and Donald Pease [Duke UP, 1993]. Also reprinted in American Indian Persistence and Resurgence, ed. Karl Kroeber [Duke UP, 1994]
- Wald, P. "Becoming “Colored”: The Self-Authorized Language of Difference in Zora Neale Hurston." American Literary History 2.1
- Wald, P. "Hearing Narrative Voices in Melville’s Pierre." boundary 2 17.1
(Spring 1990): 100-32.
Reprinted in Revisionary Interventions into the Americanist Canon, ed. Donald Pease (Duke UP, 1994)
- Wald, P. "Guilt by Dissociation: John Yau’s Poetics of Possibility." Talisman 5
(Fall 1990): 121-26.
- Wald, P. "William Peterfield Trent." Dictionary of Literary Biography: Nineteenth Century American Literary Critics and Scholars. Columbia, SC: Bruccoli-Clark, Inc,
- Wald, P. "BIO TERROR Hybridity in the Biohorror Narrative, or What We Can Learn from Monsters." CONTAGION: HEALTH, FEAR, SOVEREIGNTY (2012): 99-122. [Gateway.cgi]
- Wald, P. Review of Jonathan Metzal's he Protest Psychosis: How Schizophrenia Became a Black Disease. Social History of Medicine 24.1
(April, 2011): 194-195. [Gateway.cgi], [doi]
- Wald, P. Review of Cynthia H. Tolentino's America's Experts: Race and the Fictions of Sociology. Novel: A Forum on Fiction 44.3
(2011): 467-470. [Gateway.cgi]
- Wald, P. Review of Susan Mizruchi's The Rise of Multicultural America: Economy and Print Culture, 1865-1915. Novel: A Forum on Fiction 44.3
(2011): 467-470. [Gateway.cgi]
- Wald, P. Review of Ian Whitmarsh's Biomedical Ambiguity: Race, Asthma, and the Contested Meaning of Genetic Research in the Caribbean. Social History of Medicine 22.2
(August, 2009): 421-422. [doi]
- Wald, P. Review of Heather Munro Prescott's Student Bodies: The Influence of Student Health Services in American Society and Medicine. Bulletin of the History of Medicine 83.1
(2009): 217-218. [Gateway.cgi]
- Wald, P. Review of Ann L. Ardis and Leslie W. Lewis’ Women’s Experience of Modernity: 1875-1945. MODERNISM/Modernity 12.4
- Wald, P. Review of Laura Otis’ Networking: Communicating with Bodies and Machines in the Nineteenth Century. Perspectives in Biology and Medicine 46.3
(Summer, 2003): 452-54.
- Wald, P. Review of Molly Ladd-Taylor and Lauri Umansky, eds.’s "’Bad’ Mothers: The Politics of Blame in Twentieth-Century America". Left History
- Wald, P. Review of Lawrie Balfour’s The Evidence of Things Not Said: James Baldwin and the Promise of American Democracy. The Review of Politics 63.4
(Fall 2001): 593-95.
- Wald, P. Review of John Carlos Rowe’s The Other Henry James. New England Quarterly
- Wald, P. Review of Nancy Tomes' The Gospel of Germs: Men, Women and the Microbe at the Turn of the Century. Modernism/Modernity 7.2
(2000): 338-340. [Gateway.cgi]
- Wald, P. Fabulous Shadows: Rethinking the Emersonian Tradition. American Quarterly 50.4
(Dec. 1998): 831-39. (Review essay on John Carlos Rowe's At Emerson's Tomb) [abs]
- Wald, P. Review of Walter Benn Michaels’ Our America: Nativism, Modernism, and Pluralism. Modern Language Quarterly 59.1
(Mar. 1998): 124-29.
- Wald, P. Review of Trudier Harris’ The Power of the Porch: The Storyteller’s Craft in Zora Neale Hurston, Gloria Naylor, and Randall Kenan. American Literature 7.1
(Mar. 1998): 202-202.
- Wald, P. Review of Richard M. Merelman’s Representing Black Culture: Racial Conflict and Cultural Politics in the United States. Ethnic and Racial Studies 20.1
(Jan. 1997): 226-28.
- Wald, P. Review of Genevieve Fabre and Robert O'Meally's History and Memory in African-American Culture. American Literature 68.1
(Mar. 1996): 269-71.
- Wald, P. Review of Nina Schwartz’s Dead Fathers: The Logic of Transference in Modern Narrative. Clio 26.1
(Fall 1996): 127-32.
- Wald, P. Review of Mark Twain’s Pudd’n’head Wilson: Race, Conflict, and Culture. Studies in American Fiction 23.2
(Autumn 1995): 254-56.
- Wald, P. Review of Kathleen Diffley’s Where My Heart Is Turning Ever: Civil War Stories and Constitutional Reform, 1861-1876. Journal of American History 81.1
(June 1994): 283-84.
- Wald, P. Review of Paula Gunn Allen’s A Cannon Between My Knees. Studies in American Indian Literature 9.4
- Wald, P. Review of Leslie Marmon Silko’s Storyteller. Studies in American Indian Literature 6.4
- Applewhite, J. Science Fiction. Poetry 138
(June, 1981): 156-156. [doi]