- Ewing, KP, Stolen Honor: Stigmatizing Muslim Men in Berlin
(January, 2008), Stanford University Press .
- Ewing, KP, Arguing Sainthood: Islam, Modernity and Psychoanalysis
(1997), Durham, North Carolina: Duke University Press .
- Ewing, KP, “Anthropology and the Pakistani National Imaginary.” Naveed Khan, ed. New Delhi: Routledge.,
in Beyond Crisis: Re-Evaluating Pakistan., edited by Khan, N
(2009), New Delhi: Routledge. .
- Ewing, KP; Hoyler, M, Being Muslim and American: South Asian Muslim youth and the war on terror,
in Being and Belonging: Muslims in the United States Since 9/11, edited by K.P. Ewing
pp. 80-103, Russell Sage Foundation [abs].
- Ewing, KP, “Stigmatisierte Männlichkeit: Muslimische Geschlechterbeziehungen und kulturelle Staatsbürgerschaft in Europa.” x, eds. Bielefeld, Germany: transcript Verlag.,
in Mann wird man: Geschlechtliche Identitäten im Spannungsfeld von Migration und Islam, edited by Potts, L; Kühnemund, J
(2008), TRANSCRIPT VERLAG .
- Ewing, KP, Emine: Muslim University Student in Berlin,
in Muslim Voices, Muslim Lives, edited by Trix, F; Walbridge, J; Walbridge, L
(2008), McGraw-Hill .
- Ewing, KP, Immigrant Identities and Emotion,
in A Companion to Psychological Anthropology: Modernity and Psychocultural Change
pp. 225-240, BLACKWELL PUBLISHING LTD [doi] [abs].
- Ewing, KP, "The Muslim Child",
in Encyclopedia of the Child, edited by Shweder, R
- K.P. Ewing, Immigrant Identities and Emotion,
in A Companion to Psychological Anthropology: Modernity and Psychocultural Change, edited by Conerly Casey and Robert Edgerton
pp. 225-240, Blackwell Publishing .
- Ewing, KP, The Sufi and the Mullah: Islam and Local Culture in Pakistan,
in Pakistan at the Millennium, edited by Kennedy, C
pp. 169-198, Karachi: Oxford University Press .
- Ewing, KP, Migration, Identity Negotiation and Self Experience,
in Worlds on the Move: Globalization, Migration, and Cultural Security, edited by Friedman, J; Randeria, S
pp. 117-140, London: Taurus .
- Ewing, KP, Iktidar, Psikopatoloji ve Kimlik Müzakeresi: Psikanaliz ve Antropolojnin Kesi_me Hatt_nda Baz_ Güncel Meseleler (Power, Psychopathology and the Negotiation of Identity: Current Issues at the Intersection of Psychoanalysis and Anthropology",
in Kültür ve Ruh Sa 1, edited by Sayar, K
(2003), Istanbul: Metis Yay_nlar_ .
- Ewing, KP, Images of Order and Authority: Shifting Identites and Legal Consciousness in a Runaway Immigrant Daughter,
in Power and the Self, edited by Mageo, J; Knauft, B
pp. 93-113, Cambridge University Press .
- Ewing, KP, The Violence of Non-Recognition: Becoming a ’Conscious’ Muslim Woman in Turkey,
in Cultures under Siege: Collective Violence and Trauma in Anthropological and Psychoanalytical Perspective, edited by Robben, A; Suarez-Orozco, M
pp. 248-271, Cambridge University Press .
- Ewing, KP, Özne, Arzu ve Farkina Vari_ (Seval Y _Imaz, trans.),
in Sufi Ksikolojisi, edited by Sayar, K
pp. 173-187, Istanbul: Insan Yay_nlar_ .
- Ewing, KP, A Perspective on the Problem of Moral Principles in Tension,
in Shari'at and Ambiguity in South Asian Islam, edited by Ewing, K
pp. 1-22, Berkeley: University of California Press .
- Ewing, KP, A Majzub and his Mother: The Place of Sainthood in a Family’s Emotional Memory,
in Embodying Charisma: Modernity, Locality and the Performance of Emotion in Sufi Cults, edited by Werbner, P; Basu, H
pp. 160-183, London: Routledge .
- Ewing, KP, Pir,
in Encyclopedia of the Modern Islamic World, edited by Esposito, JL
(1994), Oxford University Press .
- Ewing, KP, The Modern Businessman and the Pakistani Saint: The Interpenetration of Worlds,
in Manifestations of Sainthood in Islam, edited by Smith, GM; Ernst, C
pp. 69-84, Istanbul: Editions Isis .
- Ewing, KP, Malangs of the Punjab: Intoxication or Adab as the Path to God?,
in Moral Conduct and Authority: the Place of Adab in South Asian Islam, edited by Metcalf, B
pp. 357-71, Berkeley: University of California Press .
- Ewing, KP, The Messengers of the 1890 Ghost Dance,
in Psychodynamic Perspectives on Religion, Sect, and Cult, edited by Halperin, DA
pp. 73-92, Boston: PSG Publishing Company .
- Ewing, KP, Sufis and Adepts: Islamic and Hindu Sources of Spiritual Power among Punjabi Muslims and Christian Sweepers,
in Anthropology in Pakistan, edited by Pastner, S; Flam, L
(1982), Ithaca: Cornell University South Asia Monograph Series .
- Ewing, KP, Comment on Rebecca J. Lester’s "Brokering Authenticity: Borderline Personality Disorder and the Ethics of Care in an American Eating Disorder Clinic.",
Current Anthropology, vol. 50 no. 3
- Ewing, KP, Review of Anthropology and Social Theory: Culture, Power, and the Acting Subject by Sherry B. Ortner.,
American Anthropologist, vol. 110
- Ewing, KP, Between cinema and social work: Diasporic Turkish women and the (dis)pleasures of hybridity,
Cultural Anthropology, vol. 21 no. 2
pp. 265-294, WILEY [Gateway.cgi], [doi] [abs].
- Ewing, KP, Revealing and Concealing: Interpersonal Dynamics and the Negotiation of Identity, with comments by Dorinne Kondo and Sidney Mintz, and author response.,
Ethos, vol. 34 no. 1
pp. 89-131 [abs].
- Ewing, KP, Cultivating a Wholesome Body: Islam in the German Gym Class,
in Islam: Portability and Exportability. Muslim Diaspora in Europe and the US, edited by Swad, S
(2006), UCLA: Center for European and East European Studies .
- Ewing, KP, The Misrecognition of a Modern Islamist Organization: Germany Faces "Fundamentalism",
in Festschrift in Honor of Bruce Lawrence, edited by Ernst, C; Martin, R
- Ewing, KP, Pilgrims of Love: The Anthropology of a Global Sufi Cult, by Pnina Werbner,
Journal of the Royal Anthropological Institute, vol. 11 no. 3
pp. 626-627 .
- Ewing, K, Women, Gender and Childhood: Social Practices, Pre-Modern and Modern: United States,
in Encyclopedia of Women and Islamic Cultures
(2005), Leiden: Brill .
- Ewing, KP, Identity Politics: Turkey,
in Encyclopedia of Women and Islamic Cultures, vol. 2
pp. 289-291 .
- Ewing, KP, "Review of Nation of Empire: The Ottoman Legacy of Turkish Modernity by Michal E. Meeker and Faces of the State: Secularism and Public Life in Turkey by Pael Navaro-Yashin.",
American Anthropologist, vol. 106 no. 3
- Ewing, KP, Diasporic dreaming, identity, and self-constitution,
in Dreaming and the Self, edited by Jeannette Marie Mageo
pp. 43-60, SUNY Press [abs].
- Ewing, KP, Between Turkey and Germany: Living Islam in the Diaspora, edited by Guzeldere, G; Irzik, S,
South Atlantic Quarterly, vol. 102 no. 2/3
pp. 405-431 .
- Özdemir, A; Frank, K, Visible Islam in Modern Turkey,
International Journal of Turkish Studies
- Ewing, KP, Legislating religious freedom: Muslim challenges to the relationship between "church" and "state" in Germany and France,
Daedalus, vol. 129 no. 4
pp. 31-54 (Richard A. Shweder, Martha Minow, and Hazel R. Markus, eds. Reprinted in Engaging Cultural Differences:
The Multicultural Challenge in Liberal
Democracies. Richard A. Shweder, Marcha
Minow, and Hazel R. Markus, eds. Russell Sage
Foundation, 2002..) [Gateway.cgi] .
- Ewing, KP, Dream as symptom, dream as myth: A cross-cultural perspective on dream narratives,
Sleep and Hypnosis, vol. 2 no. 4
pp. 152-159 [abs].
- Ewing, KP, Crossing Borders and Transgressing Boundaries: Metaphors for Negotiating Multiple Identities,
Ethos, vol. 26 no. 2
pp. 262-267, WILEY (Special Issue "Multiple Identities in
Muslim Communities," edited by James Wilce.) [Gateway.cgi], [doi] .
- Ewing, KP, Review of Nandy, Ashis. The Savage Freud and other Essays on Possible and Retrievable Selves,
Journal of Asian Studies
- Ewing, KP, Review of Rhetorics of Self-Making, edited by Debbora Battaglia,
Journal of the Royal Anthropological Institute
- Ewing, KP, Dreams from a Saint: Anthropological Atheism and the Temptation to Believe,
American Anthropologist, vol. 96 no. 3
pp. 571-583, WILEY [Gateway.cgi], [doi] .
- Ewing, KP, Review of Intimate Communications: Erotics and the Study of Culture, by Gilbert Herdt and Robert J. Stoller,
American Ethnologist, vol. 21
pp. 635-636 .
- Ewing, KP, Review of Self and Consciousness: Multiple Perspectives, by Rank S. Kessel, Pamela M. Cole, and Dale L. Johnsonm eds,,
American Anthropologist, vol. 95
pp. 1067-1068 .
- Ewing, KP, Review of Personality and the Cultural Construction of Society, by David K. Jordan and Marc J. Swartz, eds.,
Journal of Anthropologist Research, vol. 48
pp. 71-75 .
- Ewing, KP, Is Psychoanalysis Relevant for Anthropology?,
in New Directions in Psychological Anthropology, edited by Schwartz, T; White, G; Lutz, C
pp. 251-268, Cambridge University Press .
- EWING, KP, Can Psychoanalytic Theories Explain the Pakistani Woman? Intrapsychic Autonomy and Interpersonal Engagement in the Extended Family,
Ethos, vol. 19 no. 2
pp. 131-160, WILEY [Gateway.cgi], [doi] .
- Ewing, KP, Review of Culture and Human Nature: Theoretical Papers of Melford Spiro, edited by Benjamin Kilborne and L.L. Langness,
The Psychoanalysis Quarterly
- Ewing, KP, Review of Notes on Love in a Tamil Family by Margaret Trawick,
American Anthropologist, vol. 94
pp. 237-238 .
- Ewing, KP, Review of Divine Passions: The Social Construction of Emotion in India, by Owen Lynch, ed.,
Journal of Asian Studies, vol. 50 no. 4
pp. 976-978 .
- Ewing, KP, Idiosyncrasy and the Problem of Shared Understandings: The Case of a Pakistani Orphan,
in The Psychoanalytic Study of Society, edited by Boyer, LB; Boyer, R, vol. 16
pp. 215-247 .
- EWING, KP, The Illusion of Wholeness: Culture, Self and the Experience of Inconsistency,
Ethos, vol. 18 no. 3
pp. 251-278, WILEY (Winner of L. Bryce Boyer Prize for 1990.
Reprinted 1998 in The Art of Medical
Anthropology: Readings, Sjaak van der Geest
and Adri Rienks, eds. Amsterdam: Het
Spinhaus, pp. 296-310.) [Gateway.cgi], [doi] .
- Ewing, KP, The Dream of Spiritual Initiation and the Organization of Self Representations among Pakistani Sufis,
American Ethnologist, vol. 17 no. 1
pp. 56-74 .
- Ewing, KP, Review of The Cultural Transition: Human Experience and Social Transformation in the Third World and Japan, edited by Merry I. White and Susan Pollak,
Journal of Asian Studies, vol. 47
pp. 630-631 .
- Ewing, KP, Review of Buddhism and Society: A Great Tradition and its Burmese Vicissitudes by Melford Spiro,
Journal of Psychoanalytic Anthropology
- Ewing, KP, Clinical Psychoanalysis as an Ethnographic Tool,
Ethos, vol. 15 no. 1
pp. 16-39 .
- Ewing, KP, The Sufi as Saint, Curer, an Exorcist in Modern Pakistan,
Contributions to Asian Studies, vol. 18
pp. 106-114 .
- Ewing, KP, The Politics of Sufism: Redefining the Saints of Pakistan,
Journal of Asian Studies, vol. 42
pp. 251-265 (Reprinted in Pakistan: The Social Sciences'
Perspective, Akbar S. Ahmed, ed. Oxford
University PRess, pp. 165-189 (1990).) .
- Ewing, KP, Conversation with Katherine Pratt Ewing,
in Culture, Subject, Psyche: Dialogues in Psychoanalysis and Anthropology, edited by Molino, A
pp. 80-97, Wesleylan University Press. .
- Ewing, KP, CA Comment on "Debating Self, Identity, and Culture in Anthropology," by Martin Sokefeld,
Current Anthropology, vol. 40 no. 4
pp. 432-433 .
- Ewing, KP, Anthropological Research in Pakistan: A Bibliography,
American Institute of Pakistan, Occasional Papers