Christa T Johns
- Contact Info:
|Office Location:|| 116G Old Chemistry|
|Office Phone:|| (919) 660-3177, (919) 660-3160 |
|Email Address: || |
|Web Page: || |
- Office Hours:
- Tuesdays/Thursdays 4pm-4:25pm & 5:40pm-6pm; and by appointment
- PhD , 1965
- Staatsexamen summa cum laude in History and Latin Free University of West Berlin, 1960
Medieval & Early Modern Studies
Literary History & Criticism
- Research Interests:
Christa T. Johns holds a Ph.D. from the Free University of Berlin in Early Modern German History. Her dissertation on Luthers Konzilsidee was published in 1965 by Walter de Gruyter Press, Berlin. In 1965 she emigrated to the United States where she taught German language and literature at MIT until 1968. While serving as Research Assistant in the Department of History and as an Extra Mural Tutor in German at the University of Zambia from 1968-1970 and again from 1974-1975, she translated Emil Holub's Travels North of the Zambesi, 1885-1886 into English published by Manchester University Press in 1975. From 1972 to 1974, she was a Visiting Assistant Professor in the Department of Religion at Duke University and a Research Fellow at th e Institute of Late Medieval and Reform ation Studies at the University of Tübingen. From 1976 to 1982, she served as Editorial Secretary for an Encyclopedia of the Middle Ages, Renaissance and Reformation at E. J. Brill publishers in Leiden, Holland. Since 1993 she has been a lecturer in the German Department at Duke University. Courses taught include German language and conversation on various levels and a course on Resistance to Authority from Luther to Hitler. From 1984 to 1992, she simultaneously served as Associate Director of the Duke University Summer Session and from 1994 to 2001 she held the positions as Director of the Duke Office of Foreign Academic Programs and as Assistant Dean for Study Abroad.
- Recent Publications
- Ecclesia semper reformanda: Vorträge zum Basier Reformationsjubiläum 1529-1979. ed. H.R. Guggisberg and P. Rotach. 1980.
(published in: Journal of Ecumenical Studies, vol. 19 1982)
- Reinhold Weier. Das Theologieverständnis Martin Luthers. Konfessionskundliche und Kontroverstheologische Studien 36
(1976): 317. (published in Journal of Ecumenical Studies, 1979)
- Emil Holub, trans. Emil Holub's Travels North of the Zambesi 1885-6. Manchester University Press, 1975.
translated from the German Von der Capstadt ins Land der Maschkulumbe, Vienna 1890
- Hajo Holborn, trans. Ulrich von Hutten. Vanderhoeck and Ruprecht, Göttingen, 1968.
(editor and translator with Hajo Holborn of revised German edition)
- C.T. Johns. Luthers Konzilsidee in ihrer histroischen Bedingtheit und ihrem reformatorischen Neuansatz, Theologische Bibliothek Töpelmann. Walter de Gruyter Press, Berlin, 1966. (Revised Doctoral Dissertation)