||Professor of the Practice of Music (voice) and Director of Opera
||075 Mary Duke Biddle
- Office Hours:
- Tuesdays 12:30-1:00, Wednesdays 2:00-3:30 or by appointment
- Masters of Music Indiana University, 1980
Teach voice, direct opera workshop, serve as Director of Undergraduate Studies.
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions
- Grammy Award, "Best Choral Recording of 1988", Verdi, Requiem, 1988
- Pick of the Year, Verdi, Requiem, Gramophone Magazine, 1988
- "The Best of the New Generation: Men and Women Under 40 Who Are Changing America", Esquire Magazine's, January 1984
- Richard Tucker Foundation Award Winner, 1983
- WGN-Opera on the Air Award, First Place, Chicago, IL, 1983
- D'Angelo Young Artist Award, First Place, 1981
- G.B. Dealey-Dallas Morning News Young Artist Awards, First Place, 1981
- Luciano Pavarotti-Opera Company of Philadelphia Young Artist Award Winner, 1981
- Metropolitain National Council Auditions, Winner, 1981
Teaching (Fall 2013):
- Music 213-1.01, Opera workshop
- Biddle 102, MW 04:40 PM-05:55 PM
Selected Professional Work: (More...)
- S. Dunn. Verdi, Giovanni D'Arco, Orchestra del Teatro Comunale, Bologna, with Riccardo Chailly. Home Vision Video, 1992 . (VHS and Laserdisc)
- S. Dunn. Wagner, Die Walkure, Act I, Pittsburgh Symphony, with Lorin Maazel. Telarc, 1991 .
- S. Dunn. Mahler, Das klagende Lied, RSO Berlin, with Riccardo Chailly. London/Decca, 1991 .
- S. Dunn. Schoenberg, Gurrelieder, RSO Berlin, with Riccardo Chailly. London/Decca, 1990 .
- S. Dunn. Susan Dunn: Beethoven, Verdi, and Wagner Arias, Orchestra del Teatro Comunale di Bologna, with Riccardo Chailly. London/Decca, 1988 .
- S. Dunn. Verdi, Requiem, Atlanta Symphony, with Robert Shaw. Telarc, 1987 .
- S. Dunn. Beethoven, Mass in C, RSO Berlin, with Riccardo Chailly. London/Decca, 1987 .
- S. Dunn. Verdi, I Vespri Siciliani, Orchestra del Teatro Comunale di Bologna, with Riccardo Chailly. Home Vision Video, 1986 .
- Just Folks, Duke University, November 04, 2011
A vocal recital of music by classical composers that was inspired by folk music or arrangements of folk music; including Scottish, Welsh, and Irish folk songs arranged by Beethoven, with piano, violin and cello; Brahms Volkslieder; Respighi Liriche antiche da poesia Armena; American folk songs and spirituals by Burleigh, Copland, Niles and McGimsey.
- Chopin and Schumann Chamber Music, Memorial Auditorium, Chapel Hill, NC, November 04, 2010
Viardot arrangements of Chopin mazurkas, for voice and piano
- Guest recital, Mt. Olive College, Mt. Olive, NC, October 21, 2010
Repeat of recital at Duke
- Faculty Recital, Baldwin Auditorium, October 16, 2010
Vocal recital with David Heid
Music for a while, Purcell
If music be the food of love, Purcell
Strike the viol, Purcell
from Dido and Aeneas
Thy hand, Belinda......When I am laid in earth, Prucell
Plainte d'amour, Viardot-Chopin
Faible Coeur, Viardot-Chopin
La Danse, Viardot-Chopin
L'esule, Giuseppe Verdi
Ach Lieb, ich muss nun scheiden, Richard Strauss
from Irish Country Songs, by Herbert Hughes
The Lover's Curse
I know where I'm goin'
- Master Classes, Texas A & M University, September 30, 2011
Master class with students of Texas A and M University music department and students of Amarillo College music department, in selected solo pieces.
- Directing, The Cockeyed Optimist: The Lyrics of Oscar Hammerstein III, 2012
Opera workshop performances in April of music with lyrics by Oscar Hammerstein III.
- The Joint is Jumpin': A 1940s Swing Era Revue, Duke University, November 19, 2011
Conceived and wrote script for The Joint is Jumpin', a 1940s Swing Era Revue. Co-ordinated with John Brown and the Jazz Ensemble, with 15 students in workshop, with costumes, skits, advertisements, a video and audio montage of period images. Repeated at The Forest at Duke, Monday, November 21, 2011.
- Saints and Sinners, Opera Workshop, Duke University, April, 2011
Conceived and directed Duke Opera Workshop performances of excerpts from operas:
The Devil and Daniel Webster
The Saint of Bleeker Street
- Directing, Opera Workshop, April 24, 2010 - April 25, 2010
Directed opera workshop show with three scenes, called Death by Opera,
1. Opening scene of Don Giovanni, by Mozart
2. scene from Regina, by Marc Blitzstein
3. Act IV of La Boheme, by Puccini
with piano, costumes, drops and sets
- Directing, Nelson Music Room, November 22, 2009
By Sondheim! Duke Opera Workshop review of Sondheim's music. Eight participants presented short excerpts from sixteen of Sondheim's shows.
- Directing, Duke University, April 18, 2009 - April 19, 2009
Directed full production of Die Fledermaus, by Johann Strauss, with student singers, professional orchestra, lights, professional costumes and sets. Scott Tilley conducted a newly commissioned reduction of the score for Palm Court orchestra.
- Parents' and Families' Weekend Concert, Nelson Music Room, 1996-2010
In the Spotlight: A concert of solo and small ensemble works by students.
- Simon Estes Master Class, Duke University, April 08, 2011
Coordinated with Leda Scearce and World Voice Day to bring renowned operatic bass Simon Estes for a master class for Duke students and community members.