||Professor and Chair
||105 Biddle Music Building, Box 90665 Duke University, Durham, NC 27708-0665
- Office Hours:
- MW 10-12 Appointments - email: email@example.com
- Ph.D. Yale University, 1993
- M.Phil. Yale University, 1991
- B.A. University of Cambridge (UK), 1988
Philip Rupprecht specializes in music of the twentieth and twenty-first centuries. His recent writings engage concepts of narrative in opera, the circulation of stereotypes in the formation of national traditions in music, and agency effects in instrumental music. He is the author of "British Musical Modernism: the Manchester Group and their Contemporaries" (Cambridge, 2015) and "Britten's Musical Language" (Cambridge, 2002). He co-edited "Tonality 1900-1950" (2012); and edited "Rethinking Britten" (2013).
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions
- Reuters Britten article citation, Unknown, December 2013
- Fellowship, National Endowment for the Humanities, March 2013
- Fellowship (Declined), American Council of Learned Societies, 2013-2014
- Faculty Fellowship, National Endowment for the Humanities, 0 2013
- National Endowment for the Humanities, Musicology Panel Reader, National Endowment for the Humanities, July 2011
- "Tonality 1900-1950: Concept and Practice," International Conference, National Endowment for the Humanities collaborative grant, October, 2010
- Tonality 1900-1950: Concept and Practice, International Conference, National Endowment for the Humanities collaborative grant, October 2010
- Duke/UNC Exchange Fellow, Institute for the Arts and Humanities, UNC-Chapel Hill, Fall 2008
- William J. Bouwsma Fellow, National Humanities Center, Research Triangle Park, North Carolina, 2005-06
- Fellow, National Humanities Center, 0 2005
- Publication Subvention for the book Britten’s Musical Language (Cambridge University Press, 2001), Society for Music Theory, Fall 2001
- Faculty Fellow, Ethyl R. Wolfe Institute for the Humanities, Brooklyn College, 1997-98
Teaching (Spring 2017):
- Music 361.001, Theor/prac tonal mus ii
- Biddle 104, MW 10:05 AM-11:20 AM
Recent Professional Work: (More...)
Articles in Books
- Tonality Since 1950.
edited by Woerner, F; Scheideler, U; Rupprecht, P Franz Steiner Verlag, 2017 .
- Rupprecht, P. "Images in Sound: Movement, Harmony and Colour in the Early Music." The Music of Simon Holt.
Edited by Charlton, D. Boydell June, 2017.
- Rupprecht, P. "Tonality Rediscovered: Oliver Knussen and the Musical ‘Object’ in the 1970s.." Tonality Since 1950.
Edited by Woerner, F; Scheideler, U; Rupprecht, P. Franz Steiner Verlag February, 2017: 209--231.
- Rupprecht, P. "Quickenings of the Heart: Notes on Rhythm and Tempo in Britten’s Music." Benjamin Britten Studies: Essays on an Inexplicit Art.
Edited by Stroeher, V; Vickers, J. Boydell Press 2017: 317-345.
- Rupprecht, P; Woerner, F; Scheideler, U. "Introduction." Tonality Since 1950.
Edited by Woerner, F; Scheideler, U; Rupprecht, P. Franz Steiner Verlag 2017: 9-24.