||Professor and Chair
||105 Biddle Music Building, Box 90665 Duke University, Durham, NC 27708-0665
- Office Hours:
- MW 10-12 Appointments - email: email@example.com
- Ph.D. Yale University, 1993
- M.Phil. Yale University, 1991
- B.A. University of Cambridge (UK), 1988
Philip Rupprecht specializes in music of the twentieth and twenty-first centuries. His recent writings engage concepts of narrative in opera, the circulation of stereotypes in the formation of national traditions in music, and agency effects in instrumental music. He is the author of "British Musical Modernism: the Manchester Group and their Contemporaries" (Cambridge, 2015) and "Britten's Musical Language" (Cambridge, 2002). He co-edited "Tonality 1900-1950" (2012); and edited "Rethinking Britten" (2013).
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions
- Reuters Britten article citation, Unknown, December 2013
- Fellowship, National Endowment for the Humanities, 2013-14
- Fellowship (Declined), American Council of Learned Societies, 2013-2014
- Faculty Fellowship, National Endowment for the Humanities, 0 2013
- National Endowment for the Humanities, Musicology Panel Reader, National Endowment for the Humanities, July 2011
- "Tonality 1900-1950: Concept and Practice," International Conference, National Endowment for the Humanities collaborative grant, October, 2010
- Tonality 1900-1950: Concept and Practice, International Conference, National Endowment for the Humanities collaborative grant, October 2010
- Collaborative Research Grant, National Endowment for the Humanities, 0 2010
- Duke/UNC Exchange Fellow, Institute for the Arts and Humanities, UNC-Chapel Hill, Fall 2008
- William J. Bouwsma Fellow, National Humanities Center, Research Triangle Park, North Carolina, 2005-06
- Fellow, National Humanities Center, 0 2005
- Publication Subvention for the book Britten’s Musical Language (Cambridge University Press, 2001), Society for Music Theory, Fall 2001
- Faculty Fellow, Ethyl R. Wolfe Institute for the Humanities, Brooklyn College, 1997-98
Teaching (Fall 2016):
- Music 590.01, Selected topics in analysis
- Biddle 069, Th 03:05 PM-05:35 PM
Recent Professional Work: (More...)
Articles in Books
- P Rupprecht. British musical modernism: The Manchester group and their contemporaries. Cambridge University Press, January, 2015 (1-492 pp.). [doi] [abs]
- "Mechanical Song: Birtwistle's Rhythmic Imagination." Harrison Birtwistle Studies.
Edited by David Beard, Kenneth Gloag and Nicholas Jones. Cambridge Univ. Press 2015.
- P Rupprecht. "Britten and the Avant-Garde in the 1950s." Rethinking Britten.
Edited by P Rupprecht. Oxford University Press 2013: 131-55.
- P Rupprecht, Britten's Unquiet Pasts: Sound and Memory in Postwar Reconstruction. JOURNAL OF THE AMERICAN MUSICOLOGICAL SOCIETY 68:3
(2015): 698-703. [Gateway.cgi], [doi]
- P Rupprecht, Serenade for Strings. NINETEENTH-CENTURY MUSIC REVIEW 10:2
(December, 2013): 390-394. [Gateway.cgi], [doi]
- A Conversation With Peter Westergaard, 18 Feb. 2012