Randall M Love
||Associate Professor of the Practice of Music (piano)
||085 Mary Duke Biddle
- Solo Diploma with Honors, Sweelinck Conservatory, Amsterdam, Teacher: Edith Lateiner-Grosz (piano), 1983
- Master of Music with Honors, New England Conservatory of Music, Teachers: Patricia Zander (piano), Benjamin Zander (chamber music), and Robert DiDomenica (composition), 1979
- Bachelor of Music, Oberlin Conservatory of Music, Teachers: Sanford Margolis (piano), Lisa Crawford (harpsichord), and Denes Koromsay (chamber music), 1976
- Master Classes on Fortepiano with with Jos van Immerseel (Nuremberg, 1981), Paul Badura-Skoda (Paris, 1980), and Malcolm Bilson (Wellesley, 1978) and the Oberlin Baroque Performance Institute, , 1975
- Master Classes on Piano with Luiz de Moura Castro (1997-2005), Pierre Réach and Paul Badura-Skoda (1997), John Perry (1992), Jacob Lateiner (1988), Claude Frank (1983), Balint Vasoni, , 1974
- Pre-college piano studies, University of Northern Colorado, Teacher: Rita Hutcherson, 1972
historical performance practice on original instruments(fortepiano), nineteenth and twentieth century piano music, musical collaboration with modern dance
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions
- META, May, 2008
- Listed in American Keyboard Artists, 2nd Edition, 1992
- Finalist, Jacques Vonk Piano Competition, Amsterdam, NL, May 1984
- Finalist, Erwin Bodky Early Keyboard Competition, Boston, Mass., 1983
Recent Professional Work:
- Ananda Dances-released on MSR Classics, features works by Bill Robinson performed by Duke violinist Eric Pritchard. I accompany him on "Ananda Dances" and "Govinda Sonata". 2010 .
- Tombeau de Debussy-released on the Centaur label, this CD features compositions written for Debussy "in memoriam" by various of his contemporaries including Satie, Stravinsky, Bartok, Dukas, Ravel and others. It is coupled with recordings of Debussy's own work (Images II, L'Isle Joyeuse, Masques). 2010 .
- White Man Sleeps. Arabesque label, classical download, 2003 . (work for two harpsichords and percussion by
Kevin Volans) [author's comments]
- Fortepiano Music of Jan Vorísek, A Bohemian Composer in Beethoven's Vienna. Titanic (Ti-234), 1996 . (impromptus, rhapsodies, a fantasie, and an
eclogue on an 1815 Streicher copy by Thomas
and Barbara Wolf.)
- "Souke" for Gaspard Louis and Dancers, Duke University, March 13, 14 and July 27, 28
I was the co-composer along with Duke graduate composer Paul Leary to create electronic music for "Souke", choregraphed by former Pilobolus dancer Gaspard Louis for his company here in Durham. It is based loosely on the theme of the Haitian earthquake and its aftermath. Performances were at his solo show in March and at the American Dance Festival MFA showings in July.Both in Reynolds Auditorium.
- Solo Performances, Boston MA, 2013/06/12
By invitation of artistic director Christopher Greenleaf, I presented Beethoven's Sonatas Op. 90 and Op. 109 on a Graf fortepiano as part of "Beethoven and the Piano", a forum that included performance and a panel discussion. This was part of the Boston Early Music Festival Fringe 2013.
- Solo Performances, Colonial Williamsburg, Williamsburg VA, 2013/05/31
Presented Beethoven's Sonata Op. 109 on a Graf fortepiano for the Historical Keyboard Society of North America's annual conference.
- Solo Performances, November 24, 2012
solo half recital on historical fortepianos in the Colonial Williamsburg Collection (other half-Elaine Funaro, harpsichord) DeWitt Wallace Museum, Williamsburg VA.
- Solo Performances, March 22, 2012
fortepiano demo at the The 2012 Joint Meeting and Festival of the Midwestern and Southeastern Historical Keyboard Societies, Cincinnati Conservatory OH.
- Recitals in Hong Kong: 1)house concert at Oshima residence and 2)fortepiano recital at Hong Kong Baptist University, January 2011
- Performances, Duke University, September 14, 2013
Participated as the pianist for Aaron Copeland's Appalachian Spring in the inaugural concert for the renovated Baldwin Auditorium.
- Performances, Duke University, 2013/01/29
Presented the Poulenc Harpsichord Concerto (as part of the Mallarme's HIP Festival) in collaboration with harpsichordist Elaine Funaro. Also included was a solo set of 20th century French waltzes. The program was repeated at the Croisdale Retirement community and also in Durham Public schools as part of Mallarme's outreach program.
- Performances, Carolina Theater Durham NC, May and September 2013
As the regular pianist for the Chamber Orchestra of the Triangle, I performed orchestral piano in Prokofiev's Fifth Symphony and Satie's Gymnopedies, including solo performances of two of the Satie pieces.
- Chamber Orchestra of the Triangle, Hayti Center, Durham NC, November 04, 2012
orchestral pianist for two concerts in collaboration with NOTES, a Durham organization for bringing hands-on music education to under-served communities.
- Performances, First Presbyterian, Durham NC, October 21, 2012
pianist for works by Bill Robinson ("Mantra Cantata") and Paul Leary ("Revelations" and "Against my Love") with Rodney Wynkoop and the Durham Civic Choral Society.
- Performances, Fearington Village, Pittsboro NC, May 28, 2012
pianist for Petra Berenyi cimbalom recital.
- Performances, Duke University, February 29, 2012
pianist for Andy Bonner's faculty violin recital.
- Performances, Smedes Parlor, St. Mary's, Raleigh, November 08, 2011
Mozart Piano Concerto in A major, K.414 performed with string quartet.
- American Dance Festival, Rosie Herrera Dance Theater -performed in Reynolds onstage with the company, Claire du Lune and two opera aria accompaniments, July 2011
- Guangdong Modern Dance Company, Guangzhou, China---in residence musician and composer for OJ, choreographed by Hou Ying, Spring 2011
- Compositions Performed, Durham NC and New York NY, October 18, 2013
My electronic co-composition (with Paul Leary) was used by Durham-based Gaspard and Dancers for their performance of "Souke" at their annual concert in Reynolds Auditorium and repeated in November in NYC.
- Compositions Performed, Beijing China, August 01, 2013
My electronic composition "Floating" was revised and used for a performance by the Hou Ying Dance Theater in Beijing. Hou Ying is my longtime modern dance collaborator.
- Master Classes, UNC-Chapel Hill, 2009 - 2011
Chamber music coaching for "September Prelude", a one day festival sponsored by the Raleigh Chamber Music Guild.
- Master Classes, UNC-Chapel Hill, June, 2008 - 2011
Piano faculty for a week-long chamber music clinic for amateurs and young professionals.
- Nanluoguxiang Theatre Festival, Beijing China, June, 2012
A month-long residency where I was the sole musician for a dance-theater project involving seven modern dancers under the direction of my long time choreographer/collaborator, Hou Ying. I was responsible for sound design, live microphone effects, vocalizations, and general sound engineering.