Randall M Love
||Associate Professor of the Practice of Music (piano)
||085 Mary Duke Biddle
- Solo Diploma with Honors, Sweelinck Conservatory, Amsterdam, Teacher: Edith Lateiner-Grosz (piano), 1983
- Master of Music with Honors, New England Conservatory of Music, Teachers: Patricia Zander (piano), Benjamin Zander (chamber music), and Robert DiDomenica (composition), 1979
- Bachelor of Music, Oberlin Conservatory of Music, Teachers: Sanford Margolis (piano), Lisa Crawford (harpsichord), and Denes Koromsay (chamber music), 1976
- Master Classes on Fortepiano with with Jos van Immerseel (Nuremberg, 1981), Paul Badura-Skoda (Paris, 1980), and Malcolm Bilson (Wellesley, 1978) and the Oberlin Baroque Performance Institute, , 1975
- Master Classes on Piano with Luiz de Moura Castro (1997-2005), Pierre Réach and Paul Badura-Skoda (1997), John Perry (1992), Jacob Lateiner (1988), Claude Frank (1983), Balint Vasoni, , 1974
- Pre-college piano studies, University of Northern Colorado, Teacher: Rita Hutcherson, 1972
historical performance practice on original instruments(fortepiano), nineteenth and twentieth century piano music, musical collaboration with modern dance
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions
- META, May, 2008
- Listed in American Keyboard Artists, 2nd Edition, 1992
- Finalist, Jacques Vonk Piano Competition, Amsterdam, NL, May 1984
- Finalist, Erwin Bodky Early Keyboard Competition, Boston, Mass., 1983
Recent Professional Work:
- Ananda Dances-released on MSR Classics, features works by Bill Robinson performed by Duke violinist Eric Pritchard. I accompany him on "Ananda Dances" and "Govinda Sonata". 2010 .
- Tombeau de Debussy-released on the Centaur label, this CD features compositions written for Debussy "in memoriam" by various of his contemporaries including Satie, Stravinsky, Bartok, Dukas, Ravel and others. It is coupled with recordings of Debussy's own work (Images II, L'Isle Joyeuse, Masques). 2010 .
- White Man Sleeps. Arabesque label, classical download, 2003 . (work for two harpsichords and percussion by
Kevin Volans) [author's comments]
- Fortepiano Music of Jan Vorísek, A Bohemian Composer in Beethoven's Vienna. Titanic (Ti-234), 1996 . (impromptus, rhapsodies, a fantasie, and an
eclogue on an 1815 Streicher copy by Thomas
and Barbara Wolf.)
- "Souke" for Gaspard Louis and Dancers, Duke University, March 13, 14 and July 27, 28
I was the co-composer along with Duke graduate composer Paul Leary to create electronic music for "Souke", choregraphed by former Pilobolus dancer Gaspard Louis for his company here in Durham. It is based loosely on the theme of the Haitian earthquake and its aftermath. Performances were at his solo show in March and at the American Dance Festival MFA showings in July.Both in Reynolds Auditorium.
- Solo Performances, November 24, 2012
solo half recital on historical fortepianos in the Colonial Williamsburg Collection (other half-Elaine Funaro, harpsichord) DeWitt Wallace Museum, Williamsburg VA.
- Solo Performances, March 22, 2012
fortepiano demo at the The 2012 Joint Meeting and Festival of the Midwestern and Southeastern Historical Keyboard Societies, Cincinnati Conservatory OH.
- Recitals in Hong Kong: 1)house concert at Oshima residence and 2)fortepiano recital at Hong Kong Baptist University, January 2011
- Solo Performances, UNC-Chapel Hill, 2010/11/05
Solo fortepiano performance on an 1820 Graf replica for the joint Duke-UNC Chapell Hill Chopin-Schumann Festival.
- Solo Performances, Duke University, October 15, 2010
Recital featuring Mendelssohn's "Scherzo a capriccio", Schumann's "Kreisleriana", and works of Chopin, including the third ballade.
- Solo Performances, February 16, 2010
Recital featuring Ravel's "Tombeau de Couperin", Beethoven's "Pathetique Sonata", and various works of Chopin including the "Scherzo in c# minor". This recital also included extensive remarks to the audience contrasting the qualities of the two new Steinway grands in Baldwin and demonstrations of both pianos.
- Chamber Orchestra of the Triangle, Hayti Center, Durham NC, November 04, 2012
orchestral pianist for two concerts in collaboration with NOTES, a Durham organization for bringing hands-on music education to under-served communities.
- Performances, First Presbyterian, Durham NC, October 21, 2012
pianist for works by Bill Robinson ("Mantra Cantata") and Paul Leary ("Revelations" and "Against my Love") with Rodney Wynkoop and the Durham Civic Choral Society.
- Performances, Fearington Village, Pittsboro NC, May 28, 2012
pianist for Petra Berenyi cimbalom recital.
- Performances, Duke University, February 29, 2012
pianist for Andy Bonner's faculty violin recital.
- Performances, Smedes Parlor, St. Mary's, Raleigh, November 08, 2011
Mozart Piano Concerto in A major, K.414 performed with string quartet.
- American Dance Festival, Rosie Herrera Dance Theater -performed in Reynolds onstage with the company, Claire du Lune and two opera aria accompaniments, July 2011
- Guangdong Modern Dance Company, Guangzhou, China---in residence musician and composer for OJ, choreographed by Hou Ying, Spring 2011
- Orchestral piano parts for Copland's "Appalacian Spring" and Hunter Johnson's "Letter to the World" with the Chamber Orchestra of the Triangle, directed by Lorenzo Muti., March, 2010
- Steve Reich "Six Pianos", November 14, 2010
with Duke New Music Ensemble, a predominantly graduate student group.
- "The Vorticists", Nasher Museum, September 31, 2010
British and European Avant-Garde Music, 1914-1918, solo and duets with undergraduate student Tiffany Pao on a program curated by colleague Phillip Ruprecht.
- Youngmi Cho's "Bora and Zephyr" for solo piano on Graduate Student Composers concert., Duke University, April 2010
- Accompanied Romance studies graduate student Reginald Patterson in performance of complete violin Sonatas of St. George, the so-called "black Mozart"., February, 2010
- "Variations on the Grosse Fuga" for piano quintet by Bill Robinson, with the Ciompi Quartet, NC Museum of Art, Jan. 2009
- Accompanied Petra Berenyi, cimbalom player., Carol Woods Retirement Home, May 2009
- Collaboration with Dance Dept., Duke University, Feb. 2009
For the solo show of Visiting Prof. of Dance Leonard Cruz, performed "Variations" by Visiting Prof.of Music Nick Stoia and my own improvisation.
- Harpsichord performance of "Little Suite" by Daniel Basford, Duke University, March 2009
- Pianist for Eric Pritchard's faculty recital, September 2009
Works by Brahms and Bill Robinson
- Carolina Ballet, Raleigh Memorial Auditorium, multiple performances March 2009
Pianist for the "Kreutzer Sonata", a ballet/drama based on Tolstoy's short Story of the same name. Music by Mark Scearce (NCSU) with first movement of Beethoven's Kreutzer Sonata embedded in it. With the Ciompi Quartet.
- Encounters, Duke University, October 26 2009
Solo performance of George Crumb's "Processional" for piano.
- Mini recital--Boston Early Music Festival Fringe Event, Boston MA, June 11 2009
small solo fortepiano recital sponsored by the Harpsichord Clearing House on their 1795 Broadwood square.
- Piano/violin recital, Centro Cultural Peruano Norteamericano, Arequipa Peru, April 30 2009
Recital of works for piano and violin (with John Pruett) and solo piano works (MacDowell--Woodland Sketches)
- Solo harpsichord performance, Boston MA, June 10 2009
Paul Whetstone's "Bulgarian Dance Fantasy" for showcase of contemporary harpsichord music sponsored by Alienor as a fringe event for the Boston Early Music Festival.
- The Grand Republic--period music on historical instruments, Horace Williams House, Chapel Hill NC, Feb. 11 2009
Using my 1875 Broadwood, music from the period of Jenny Lind and Fritz Kreisler---solo, with violin, and with singers.
- Master Classes, UNC-Chapel Hill, 2009 - 2011
Chamber music coaching for "September Prelude", a one day festival sponsored by the Raleigh Chamber Music Guild.
- Master Classes, UNC-Chapel Hill, June, 2008 - 2011
Piano faculty for a week-long chamber music clinic for amateurs and young professionals.
- Artistic Direction, American Dance Festival/Duke Gardens, July2009
Coordinated musicians, improvised music for a site specific work in the Duke Gardens, choreographed by Rodger Belman (ADF faculty) for ADF students.
- Nanluoguxiang Theatre Festival, Beijing China, June, 2012
A month-long residency where I was the sole musician for a dance-theater project involving seven modern dancers under the direction of my long time choreographer/collaborator, Hou Ying. I was responsible for sound design, live microphone effects, vocalizations, and general sound engineering.