||Professor of the Practice of Music (piano)
||067 Mary Duke Biddle
||(919) 660-3321 or 660-3305
- Office Hours:
- My door is open most of the time.
- A.R.C.M Royal College of Music, London, England , 1971
- L.R.A.M. Graduation with Distinction, Royal Academy of Music, London, England, 1971
Selected Professional Work: (More...)
- Melancholie. Albany Records, 2003 . (with Ciompi Quartet of Duke University)
- Fairy Scenes: Music of Robert and Clara Schumann. Centaur CRC-2581, 2002 . (with Jonathan Bagg, viola)
- Fiddler's Galaxy. Albany Records TROY 407, 2000 . (with Sarah Johnson, violin)
- Music of Mark Kuss. Gasparo GSCD-337, 2000 . (with Ciompi Quartet of Duke University)
- Donald Wheelock: 3 Sonatas. Gasparo GSCD-316, 1998 . (with Jonathan Bagg, viola)
- Robert Fuchs: Phantasiestucke, Sonata, Trio. Centaur CRC-2278, 1996 . (with Jonathan Bagg, viola, and Fritz
- Chamber Music of Robert Ward. Albany Records, 1982 . (with Mallarme Chamber Players)
- The Music of Robert Ward. Bay Cities, 1980 . (with St. Stephens Chanber Orchestra)
- Performances, Nelson Music Room, Duke University, December 02, 2011
Faculty Recital with Jonathan Bagg
- Performances, Hill Hall Auditorium, UNC Department of Music, Chapel Hill, October 04, 2011
Chamber Music Recital with Donald Oehler, clarinet and Jonathan Bagg, viola
- Performances, Sarah Duke Gardens, Duke University, July 22, 2011
Piano Trio concert with Fred Raimi, cello and Eric Pritchard, violin.
- Performances, Nelson Music Room, Duke University, March 18, 2011
Faculty Recital with Susan Fancher, saxophone
- Duke - University of North Carolina at UNC, Chopin/Schumann Festival, Duke and UNC locations, November 04, 2010 - November 07, 2010
Co-directed and performed in this series of six concerts featuring the music of Chopin and Schumann.
- Concert of Chamber Music, Nasher Museum of Art, October 31, 2010
A concert of British and European Avant-Garde Music, 1914-1918, given in conjunction with the Nasher Museum of Art exhibit: The Vorticists.
- Performances, Nasher Museum of Art at Duke University, October 31, 2010
A concert of British and European Avant-Garde Music, 1914-1918.
given in conjunction with the art exhibit The Vorticists: Musical Allies.
- Concert with Richard Luby, violin, Hill Hall Auditorium, UNC Department of Music, Chapel Hill, October 29, 2010
- Concert with Richard Luby, violin, Music at Cherry Hill Concert Series, Southern Pines, NC, October 11, 2010
- Concert with Janet Hilton, Clarinet., Hill Hall Auditorium, UNC Department of Music, Chapel Hill, October 1, 2010
- Concert with Susan Fancher, saxophone, Nelson Music Room, September 26, 2010
- Concert with Department of Music Faculty, Nelson Music Room, September 20, 2010
- Concert with the Mallarme Chamber Plaers, Nelson Music Room, September 20, 2010
- Faculty Chamber Music Recital, Nelson Music Room, September 15, 2010
- Concert with Fred Raimi, cello and Richard Luby, violin, Kirby Horton Hall at Sarah P. Duke Gardens, August 11, 2010
- Concert with Fred Raimi, cello and Richard Luby, violin, Carol Woods Assembly Hall, Chapel Hill, August 04, 2010
- Encounters with the Music of our Time concert, Baldwin Auditorium, March 28, 2010
- Concert with Philippe Castagner, tenor, Nelson Music Room, January 23, 2010
- Concert with Fred Raimi and Richard Luby, Nelson Music Room, January 17, 2010
- Concert, Weymouth Center, Southern Pines, NC, 2008
with Richard Luby, violin
- A Grand Piano Celebration, Duke University, September 27, 2009 - February 27, 2010
Over the course of a year, performed in and coordinated a series of ten events celebrating the purchase of 4 new Steinway grand pianos for the Department of Music.
The series included solo piano recitals, chamber music concerts, talks and master classes.
Guest artists included pianists Murray Perahia and Awadagin Pratt, Anton Kuerti, tenor, Philippe Castagner, soprano, Susan Dunn, pianists Thomas Otten and Randall Love.
- Pilgrimage for Haiti, February 06, 2010
Following the earthquake that devastated the island of Haiti in January of 2010, In a two week period, I planned and executed ( with much help from Beverley Meek in the Office of the Vice Provost and a number of other individuals) a benefit concert featuring Erol Josue, a singer/songwriter raised in the tradition of Vodou. All proceeds from the concert went to the American Red Cross Haiti Relief Fund.
The event was co-sponsored by the Vice Provost for the Arts, the Office of Academic Affairs, Duke Engage, the Haitian Students Alliance and six other Duke departments.
- International Master Class Series, Duke University, 2000 - 2004
Developed idea for series of master classes given by
international artists performing on the Duke Artist
Series. Gained funding and organized 3 seasons of
classes, bringing to the Music Department artists of the
stature of Renee Fleming, and Christopher Parkening. Gained University
funding to extend the classes into 2004-05.The series is now a regular offering of the Music Department and funded by a grant from the Mary Duke Biddle Foundation.