Rodney A Wynkoop
||Professor of the Practice of Music, Director of Duke Chorale and Chamber Choir, and Director of Chapel Music
||002 Biddle Music
||(919) 684-3898, (919) 660-3302
- Doctor of Musical Arts Yale University, 1985
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions
- American Choral Directors Asso., November, 2011
- Presidential Award for Executive Leadership, Duke University, April, 2009
- Vocal Arts Ensemble of Durham chosen as a featured performing ensemble at the Southern Division convention of the American Choral Directors Association in Louisville, Kentucky, 2008
- Guest conductor for performance in Carnegie Hall, May 2006
- Vocal Arts Ensemble of Durham chosen to perform at national convention of American Choral Directors Association, February 2005
- Vocal Arts Ensemble of Durham and the Duke Chapel Choir chosen as featured performing ensembles at the Southern Division convention of the American Choral Directors Association in Nashville, 2004
- Lara Hoggard Award, North Carolina American Choral Directors Association, November 11, 2002
- Vocal Arts Ensemble of Durham was chosen as the featured performing ensemble at the Fall Conference of the NC-American Choral Directors Association at UNC-Greensboro, Oct. 18, 2002
- nominated for Duke's Alumni Distinguished Undergraduate Teaching Award, 2001-02
- James L. Nicholson, Jr. Award, for "promoting the arts in everything that one does", Durham Arts Council, October 2000
- Vocal Arts Ensemble of Durham chosen to perform at the biannual convention of the Southern Division of the American Choral Directors Association, in Orlando, FL, March 2000
- Musician of the Year, Spectator Magazine, 1999
Teaching (Fall 2013): (typical courses)
- Music 213-2.01, Chapel choir
- Chapel, W 06:15 PM-08:05 PM
- Music 213-3.01, Chorale
- Biddle 019, TuTh 07:30 PM-09:30 PM
Recent Professional Work: (More...)
- Duke Chapel Choir. With Cheerful Voice. 2007 .
- Duke Chorale. Sing Joyfully!. 2006 . (repertoire from 2002-2005)
- Duke Chapel Choir. Rutter Requiem and Vierne Messe Solennelle. January, 2003 . (live performance with orchestra and two
- Vocal Arts Ensemble. My Spirit Sang All Day. CD on Arsis label, 2004 . (E.C. Schirmer; various 20-21c acappella
- Duke Chapel Choir and orchestra. 10th Anniversary Concert, Oct. 30, 1999, CD of live performance. 2000 .
- Commissions, 2011/12/16
- Commissions, 2011/12/16
- Performances by the Duke Chorale and the Duke Chapel Choir, various, March 03, 2012 - December 07, 2012
Saturday, Mar. 3 - Sunday, Mar. 11 – Spring Tour to Florida, Duke Chorale
Tuesday, Mar. 13 ,8 pm, Duke Chapel – Spring Tour Concert, Duke Chorale
Saturday, Mar. 24, 8 pm, Duke Chapel – Berlioz Requiem, Duke Chorale, Chapel Choir, and Choral Society
Sunday, Mar. 25, 4 pm, Duke Chapel – Berlioz Requiem, Duke Chorale Chapel Choir, and Choral Society
Friday, Apr. 27, 8 pm, Biddle lobby – Duke Chorale Celebration concert
Baccalaureates 2012, Duke Chapel, Duke Chorale and Chapel Choir:
Friday, May 11, 4:30 pm –
Saturday. May 12, 11:30 am and 3:00 pm –
Fri., Sept. 28, 5:30-6:30 p.m. – sing in Founders’ Day service, Duke Chapel Choir
Friday, Oct. 5, 8 pm, First Presbyterian Church – David Lang’s “Again” as choral prelude for Anonymous 4 concert, Duke Chorale
Saturday, Oct. 27, 8 pm – Parents Weekend concert, Duke Chorale, with Duke Wind Symphony and Duke Symphony Orchestra
Sunday, Nov. 11, concert trip to Pinehurst, NC (2 concerts: Village Chapel and Penick Village), Duke Chorale
Sun., Nov. 18, 6:30 p.m. - Messiah Sing-Along, Duke Chapel Choir
Fri., Nov. 30, 7:30 p.m. - Messiah, Duke Chapel Choir
Sat., Dec. 1, 2:00 p.m. - Messiah, Duke Chapel Choir
Sun., Dec. 2, 3:00 p.m. - Messiah, Duke Chapel Choir
Tuesday, Dec. 4, pm – Christmas concert, Duke Chorale
Friday, Dec. 7, 4:30 pm– caroling at various Durham facilities, concert at Durham Rescue Mission, Duke Chorale
- Performances, 2011/12/16
Sunday, Jan. 23 (4 pm), Judea Reform Congregation: Vocal Arts Ensemble - Bernstein Chichester Psalms;
Sunday, Feb. 6, 3 pm, First Presbyterian Church; Chamber Choir of the Choral Society with Mallarme Chamber Players (original instruments) - Bach cantatas;
Sunday, Feb. 20, 4 pm, St. Timothy’s Episcopal Church in Winston-Salem, NC - Duke Chorale concert;
Sunday, Feb. 27 (4 pm), Baldwin; Choral Society of Durham - Stravinsky Symphony of Psalms, Hindemith Apparebit repentina dies, Bruckner Mass in e;
Mar. 4-13 - Duke Chorale spring tour to California (5 concerts);
Tuesday, Mar. 22 (8 pm), Baldwin – Duke Chorale tour concert;
Sunday, Apr. 3 (4 pm), Duke Chapel – Chapel Choir & Chorale Spring Oratorio: Mendelssohn St. Paul;
Friday, Apr. 29 (8 pm, Biddle lobby – Duke Chorale Celebration concert, with food and drinks around the fountain;
Saturday, May 7 (8 pm), Duke Chapel – Choral Society of Durham, Durham Children's Choir: Haydn Creation-messe and Nielsen Springtime on Funen;
Sunday, June 12 (5 pm) – Vocal Arts Ensemble annual concert, Duke Chapel - Bach mass in b-minor;
Sun., Sept. 11, 4 pm, Duke Chapel: 9/11 Memorial Concert: Duke Chapel Choir, Choral Society of Durham, Duke Chorale: Mozart Requiem ;
Thur, Oct. 27 (8 pm), Duke Chapel – benefit concert with Eric Whitacre, with Duke Chorale and Wind Symphony;
Sat, Oct. 29 (8 pm), Duke Chapel – Parents Weekend concert;
Sun, Oct. 30 (3 pm), Carolina Theatre: women of the Choral Society of Durham – concert with Durham Symphony, Lance Hulme’s “Threnody for the Victims of September 11, 2001”; William Curry, conducting;
Sunday, Nov. 6, 4 pm, Village Chapel in Pinehurst, NC - Duke Chorale concert; 7 pm concert at Penick Home in Southern Pines, NC;
Sun., Nov. 20, 6:30 p.m., Duke Chapel - Messiah Sing-Along;
Fri., Dec. 2, 7:30 pm, Duke Chapel - Messiah;
Sat., Dec. 3, 2:00 pm, Duke Chapel - Messiah;
Sun., Dec. 4, 3:00 pm, Duke Chapel - Messiah;
Tue, Dec. 6 (7 pm), Duke Chapel – Duke Chorale Christmas concert;
Sat, Dec. 10 (8 pm), Duke Chapel; Choral Society of Durham – Bach Christmas Oratorio (Pts. 1-3) and German carols);
Sun, Dec. 11 (4 pm), Duke Chapel; Choral Society of Durham – Bach Christmas Oratorio (Pts. 4-6) and German carols)
- Performances, 2010/12/31
Sun, Feb. 7, 4 pm, First Presbyterian Church - Chamber Choir of the Choral Society of Durham, with Mallarme on original instruments (Bach cantatas)
Sunday, Feb. 21 (1-7 pm) – Duke Chorale concert trip, Centenary UMC, Winston-Salem
Sunday, Feb. 28 (4 pm), Duke Chapel – Choral Society of Durham: Dvorak Requiem
Friday, Mar. 5 – Sunday, Mar. 14 – Spring Tour (Duke Chorale) – New England
Tuesday, Mar. 23 (8 pm) – Duke Chorale tour concert, Baldwin
Sunday, Apr. 18, 4 pm, Duke Chapel – Chapel Choir Spring Oratorio: Duruflé Requiem and various shorter works (75th anniversary celebration of Duke Chapel)
Sunday, Apr. 25 (3 pm) – Mahler Symphony No. 2, with UNC School of the Arts Symphony Orchestra (John Mauceri, conductor), at NC Museum of Art (RW prepared the chorus of 100 singers)
Friday, April 30 (8 pm) – Duke Chorale annual Celebration concert, Biddle lobby
Saturday, May 8 (8 pm), Duke Chapel – Choral Society of Durham: Beethoven Missa Solemnis
Sunday, June 13 (5 pm) – Vocal Arts Ensemble annual concert, Duke Chapel
Friday-Saturday, Sept. 23-24 – Duke Chorale reunion, with concert of combined Chorale alumni and 2010-11 Chorale singers
Saturday, Oct. 23 (8 pm) – Parents Weekend concert, Duke Chapel
Sunday, Nov. 7 (4 pm and 7 pm) – Duke Chorale concerts in Pinehurst, NC
Sunday, Nov. 21 (4 pm) – Duke Chapel – Monteverdi Vespers
Tuesday, Dec. 7 (7 pm) – Duke Chorale Christmas concert, Duke Chapel
Friday, Dec. 3 (7:30 pm); Saturday, Dec. 4 (2 pm); and Sunday, Dec. 5 (3 pm), Duke Chapel – Messiah with Chapel Choir
Saturday, Dec. 11 (8 pm) and Sunday, Dec. 12 (4 pm) – Choral Society Christmas concert, Duke Chapel: Saint-Saens Christmas Oratorio and French carols
- Geoffrey Bush's Christmas Cantata and English Carols, Duke Chapel, December 12, 2009 - December 13, 2009
Choral Society of Durham - Christmas concert
- Handel's Messiah, Duke Chapel, December 4, 2009 - December 06, 2009
Annual concert by the Duke Chapel Choir
- Chorale Christmas Concert, Duke Chapel, December 1, 2009
Donations of food items taken for Urban Ministries of Durham.
- Sunday worship, Duke Chapel, 1989 - present
Duke Chapel Choir performs 2-3 anthems every Sunday during the school year.
- A Sing-Along Concert of Messiah, Duke Chapel, November 22, 2009
Annual Sing-Along concert of Handel's Messiah, featuring student soloists.
- Duke Chorale Concert, Village Chapel, November 08, 2009
The Duke Chorale's annual concert trip to Pinehurst, NC.
- In That Great Gettin' Up Mornin', Duke Chapel, November 07, 2009
Duke Chapel Choir - benefit concert for Mike Arneson, a member of the Duke Chapel Congregation who suffered a traumatic brain injury during the summer of 2009.
- Parents' Weekend Concert, Duke Chapel, October 24, 2009
Annual performance by the Duke Chorale in a joint concert with Music Department ensembles.
- International Haydn Festival, Konzerthaus - Vienna, Austria, July 02, 2009
Concert by the Festival Chorus, composed of members of the Duke Chapel Choir, the Choral Society of Durham, and the Duke Chorale. Performance of Haydn's Paukenmesse and Vaughan Williams' Dona Nobis Pacem as part of the International Haydn Festival.
- A Nightingale Sings, Duke Chapel, June 07, 2009
Vocal Arts Ensemble summer concert
- Verdi Requiem, Page Auditorium, Meymandi Concert Hall, April 30, 2009
Joint concert with the NC Symphony, the NC Master Chorale, and the Choral Society of Durham. Dr. Wynkoop directed the Choral Society in their preparations for these concerts. April 30 in Page Auditorium, May 1-2 in Meymandi Concert Hall.
- Chorale Celebration Concert, Biddle Music Building, April 24, 2009
End-of-year celebration concert around the music building fountain.
- Handel's Israel in Egypt, Duke Chapel, April 05, 2009
Spring oratorio concert featuring the Duke Chapel Choir and the Duke Chorale.
- Acapulco A Cappella, Baldwin Auditorium, March 26, 2009
Duke Chorale Spring Tour Concert following their tour to Mexico.
- Chorale Tour, Mexico - Acapulco, Mexico City, Taxco, March 07, 2009 - March 15, 2009
Concert tour to Mexico during Spring Break, including multiple concerts by the Duke Chorale, and one joint concert with a local ensemble.
- Choral Society of Durham - Spring Concert, Baldwin Auditorium, March 01, 2009
Mendelssohn Psalms 115 and 114, Brahms Schicksalslied and Nanie
- Duke Chorale Concert, Alamance Presbyterian Church, February 08, 2009
Concert in Greensboro, NC
- A Night in Vienna, Duke Chapel, February 07, 2009
Performance by the Chamber Choir of the Choral Society of Durham. Works by Beethoven, Mozart, Schubert, and Brahms.
- Guest Conductor - International Haydn Festival, Konzerthaus - Vienna Austria, July 02, 2009
Conducted a choir composed of members of the Duke Chapel Choir, Duke Chorale, and Durham Choral Society in a performance of Haydn's Paukenmesse and Vaughan Williams' Dona Nobis Pacem as part of the International Haydn Festival in Vienna, Austria.