- Office Hours:
- Friday 4-6 PM
- DMA Yale University, 1980
- MMA Yale University, 1975
- Fulbright Scholar Hochschule für Musik, Vienna, 1974
- MM Yale University, 1973
- BM University of Cincinnati, 1970
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions
- Who's Who in Fine Arts Higher Education, 2003
- Dictionary of International Biography (27th ed.), 1999
- Outstanding People of the 20th Century, 1999
- Men of Achievement (16th ed.), 1998
- Distinguished Church Musicians in the United States, 1997
- International Who’s Who in Music (17th ed.), 1995
- Who’s Who in America (47th ed.), 1995
- Who’s Who in American Education (4th ed.), 1994
- Who’s Who in Entertainment (3rd ed.), 1993
- American Keyboard Artists (1989 ed.), 1989
- Julia R. Sherman Memorial Prize, Yale University, 1975
- Harry B. Jepson Memorial Scholarship, Yale University, 1972
- Associate of the American Guild of Organists (AAGO), American Guild of Organists, 1970
- Delta Phi Alpha, 1970
- Corinne Moore Lawson Scholarship, University of Cincinnati, 1969
- Pi Kappa Lambda, 1969
- Edgar Stillman-Kelley Award, University of Cincinnati, 1968
- Phi Eta Sigma, 1968
- William H. Albers Memorial Scholarship, University of Cincinnati, 1968
Typical Courses Taught:
- Music 65, Theor/prac tonal mus i
- Music 86, Organ
- Music 96, Organ
- Music 97, Harpsichord
Selected Professional Work: (More...)
- R. Parkins. "Spain and Portugal." Keyboard Music Before 1700 second edition (2003). revised and updated
- R. Parkins. "Rediscovering the German Romantic Organ." The Diapason (Jan, Feb, Mar 1989): 14-17, 14-15, 12-13.
- R. Parkins. "Cabezón to Cabanilles: Ornamentation in Spanish Keyboard Music." The Organ Yearbook XI (1980): 5-16.
- R. Parkins. "Keyboard Fingering in Early Spanish Sources." Early Music XI.3 (July, 1983): 323-31.
- R. Parkins and R. Larry Todd. "Mendelssohn’s Fugue in F Minor: A Discarded Movement of the First Organ
Sonata." The Organ Yearbook XIV (1983): 61-77.
- R. Parkins. "Mendelssohn and the Erard Piano." The Piano Quarterly .125 (Spring, 1984): 53-58.
- R. Parkins. "Spain and Portugal." Keyboard Music Before 1700 (1995).
- R. Parkins. Organ Music of Frescobaldi. Calcante CD038, 2003 .
- R. Parkins. Iberian and South German Organ Music. Calcante CD036, 2001 .
- R. Parkins. German Romantic Organ Music. Gothic G49096, 1998 .
- R. Parkins. Brahms: Complete Organ Works. Naxos 8.550824, 1994 .
- R. Parkins. Early Iberian Organ Music. Naxos 8.550705, 1993 .
- R. Parkins. Early Spanish Keyboard Music. Musical Heritage Society MHS 4724L, 1983 . (LP: harpsichord)
- R. Parkins. Mendelssohn, Brahms and 17th Century Spain. Gothic 68109, 1982 . (LP: organ)
- R. Parkins. Vierne: Messe solennelle (for choir and two organs). Arsis CD133, 2003 .
- R. Parkins. "Entrada" (Anon.) on "An Introduction to Early Music'". Naxos 8.551203, n.d. .
- Organ Recital, St. Cecilia Cathedral, Omaha, NB, April 26, 2015
- Organ Recital, Omaha, 2015
- Organ Recital ("The Golden Age of Spanish Organ Music"), Duke Chapel, June 4, 2014
- Organ Recital, Grove City College (PA), October 23, 2014
- Faculty Organ Recital ("Magnificat"), Duke Chapel, March 23, 2014
- Organ Recital, Trinity University, San Antonio, TX, February 2, 2014
- Organ Recital, University of Washington, Seattle, WA, March 23, 2014
- Organ Recital, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY, September 12, 2014
- Annual Commencement Organ Recital (with David Arcus), Duke Chapel, May 11, 2013
- Faculty Organ Recital ("The Art of Variation"), Duke Chapel, March 24, 2013
- Organ Recital, Binghamton University (NY), September 29, 2013
- Harpsichord Recital: "Cabanilles and the Art of Variation" (see under Conferences below), March 23, 2012
- Faculty Organ Recital ("Fantasies and Fugues"), Duke Chapel, March 18, 2012
- Organ Recital, St. Paul's Lutheran Church, Durham, NC (with Kathryn Parkins et al.), April 28, 2012
- Organ Recital, St. Thomas Episcopal Church, Denver, CO, October 2, 2011
- Organ/Harpsichord Recital, University Park United Methodist Church, Dallas, TX, March 14, 2011
- Organ/Harpsichord Recital ("French Keyboard Music of Four Centuries"), Duke Chapel, March 20, 2011
- J. S. Bach, Concerto for Four Harpsichords, Duke Chapel, October 25, 2013
- Master Class (Early Spanish Organ Music), Grove City College (PA), October 24, 2014
- Lecture-Demonstration: "Early Spanish Organ Music", University of Washington, Seattle, WA, February 27, 2014
- Director: Organ Recital Series, Duke University Chapel, 1990-present
The 2014-15 recital series continues the "subseries" featuring Duke alumni. This season's alumni artist is Stephen Schnurr (Trinity '87).