Michael A. Gillespie, Professor and Jerry G. and Patricia Crawford Hubbard Professor of Political Science edit|
Office Location: 308 Perkins Library
Office Phone: +1 919-660-4308
Fax: (919) 660-4330
PhD, University of Chicago, 1981
Research fellow, Ruhr Universität-Hegel Archives, Bochum, Germany, 1976
A.B. magna cum laude, Harvard University, 1973
- Research Interests:
- Michael Gillespie (Ph.D. University of Chicago)
is the author of Hegel,
Heidegger and the Ground of History,
Nihilism before Nietzsche. and The Theological Origins of Modernity. He is also
co-editor of Nietzsche's New Seas:
Explorations in Philosophy, Aesthetics, and
Politics, Ratifying the
Constitution, and Homo Politicus, Homo Economicus.. He has published articles on
Montaigne, Hegel, Nietzsche, Heidegger, and
various topics in American political thought, as
well as on the relation of religion and politics.
He has received grants from the National Endowment for the Humanities, the German Academic
Exchange Service, the Templeton Foundation,
the Liberty Fund, the Earhart Foundation, the Smith Foundation, and The Jack Miller Center.
He is the Director of the Gerst Program in Political, Economic, and Humanistic Studies, and the Duke Program in American Values and Institutions.
Teaching (Fall 2015):
- Areas of Interest:
- Political Philosophy,
Modern Continental Philosophy,
History of Political Philosophy
- POLSCI 175FS.01, Freedom and responsibility
- Gross Hall 111, MW 10:05 AM-11:20 AM
- FOCUS 195FS.09, Special topics in focus
- East Union 01, Th 06:00 PM-08:00 PM
- POLSCI 577S.01, Nietzsche's polit philos
- Gross Hall 105, MW 01:25 PM-02:40 PM
- POLSCI 788.01, Wrkshp normative pol theory
- SEE INSTRU, W 12:00 PM-01:00 PM
- Recent Publications
- M.A. Gillespie. "Machiavelli's Modernity and the Christian Tradition." The Modern Turn (Accepted, 2014).
- M.A. Gillespie. "The Anti-Trinitarian Origins of Liberalism." Boston University Series on Religion and Politics (Accepted, 2014).
- M.A. Gillespie. "In the Shadow of Modernity." Orientale Lumen IV (Accepted, 2014).
- M.A. Gillespie. "“Too Many Wins for North Carolina to Reject Medicaid Expansion,”." Raleigh News and Observer, February 19, 2013. (2013).
- M.A. Gillespie. "“Jean Elshtain: In Memorium,”." Review of Politics (2013).
- Curriculum Vitae