Robert N Brandon, Professor edit|
Office Location: 209 West Duke Building
Office Phone: +1·919·660·3067, +1 919-660-3050
Fax: (919) 660-3060
Philosophy of Biology
- Research Interests:
- Robert N. Brandon (Ph.D. 1979, Harvard)
joined the Duke Faculty in fall of 1979. He
holds a joint appointment in Philosophy and
has published articles in
Philosophy of Science, Studies in
Philosophy of Science, Biology and
Philosophy, PSA 1980 and PSA
1982, some of
which have subsequently been anthologized.
He has co-edited (with Richard Burian)
Genes, Organisms, Populations:
Controversies over the Units of Selection
(Bradford Books, MIT Press, 1984), and his
book, Adaptation and Environment was
published by Princeton University Press in
1990. His most recent book Concepts and
Methods in Evolutionary Biology
was published in 1996. During the spring of
1984 he had a visiting appointment at the
Department of History and Philosophy of
Science, University of Pittsburgh. Brandon is a member of Duke's Center for the Philosophy of Biology.
Teaching (Fall 2013):
- Areas of Interest:
- Philosophy of Science,
Philosophy of Biology,
- PHIL 314.01, Philosophy of biology
- West Duke 202, TuTh 01:25 PM-02:40 PM
- PHIL 634S.01, Philosophy of biology
- Carr 136, Th 04:40 PM-07:10 PM
Teaching (Spring 2014):
- PHIL 250.01, Symbolic logic
- Carr 114, TuTh 01:25 PM-02:40 PM
- PUBPOL 590S.10, Adv top in public policy
- Languages 211, W 06:15 PM-08:45 PM
- Recent Publications
- R.N. Brandon and D. McShea. "Four Solutions for Four Puzzles." Biology and Philosophy 2012.27 (2012): 737-744. [abs]
- R.N. Brandon. "“Why Reciprocal Altruism is Not a Kind of Group Selection” (with Grant Ramsey) in Biology and Philosophy, (2011) Vol. 26, 3: 385-400.." (2011).
- R.N. Brandon. "“The Concept of the Environment in Evolutionary Theory,” in The Environment: Topics in Contemporary Philosophy, vol. 9 (ed. By M. O’Rouke and M. Slater)." (2011).
- R.N. Brandon. "“A General Case for Functional Pluralism,” in Function: Selection and Mechanisms (ed. by P. Huneman)." (2011).
- with Roger Samson. Integrating Development and Evolution.
Edited by Roger Samson and Robert Brandon. The MIT Press, 2007. [author's comments]
- Curriculum Vitae